Let me start off by saying that I recently switched to Testors Dullcot and I absolutely love the product.

However, I seem to get a minor headache after spraying a miniature. Thankfully it only lasts a few minutes and goes away quickly.

I spray miniatures in a well ventilated area (in the garage with the garage door wide open) but I still seem to get a headache. It’s not like I’m purposefully huffing the miniature either. 

Is it best to go outside? Should I be purchasing a respirator? Any feedback would be appreciated!

1 hour ago, Armandhammer said:

Let me start off by saying that I recently switched to Testors Dullcot and I absolutely love the product.

However, I seem to get a minor headache after spraying a miniature. Thankfully it only lasts a few minutes and goes away quickly.

I spray miniatures in a well ventilated area (in the garage with the garage door wide open) but I still seem to get a headache. It’s not like I’m purposefully huffing the miniature either. 

Is it best to go outside? Should I be purchasing a respirator? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Hi!  The stuff sure does stink so yes I would definitely spray outside if possible (that's why I don't usually bother filming the step as it's too troublesome to film outside!) :)

Another one of your disciples here, Sorastro.   I picked up a brush for the first time on May 19, 2017.  As of today I've got a full IA collection except the Inquisitor painted, as well as some Mansions of Madness pieces.

I'm hoping we don't lose you completely to Legion...even if it's only Ahsoka and Maul ^_^

Anyway, I humbly submit some of my work to the master.

The rest is here

https://zrob1701.imgur.com/

Hera2.jpg

22 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

Another one of your disciples here, Sorastro.   I picked up a brush for the first time on May 19, 2017.  As of today I've got a full IA collection except the Inquisitor painted, as well as some Mansions of Madness pieces.

I'm hoping we don't lose you completely to Legion...even if it's only Ahsoka and Maul ^_^

Anyway, I humbly submit some of my work to the master.

The rest is here

https://zrob1701.imgur.com/

Hera2.jpg

Lovely work Zrob314 - especially as you've only been painting a few months!  

Ha ha - fear not; I have plenty more IA left in me yet... :)

That orange highlight is just superb.  I felt pretty happy with how my MHD came out when I painted him a few months back, but this makes me want to have another go.

Leia also looks incredible, especially just ever so slightly softened by being ahead of the focal plane.  I tried to get her skin and face right about 5 times and each time it looked like she'd been shot in the face by Homer's make-up gun :P 

23 hours ago, udat said:

That orange highlight is just superb.  I felt pretty happy with how my MHD came out when I painted him a few months back, but this makes me want to have another go.

Leia also looks incredible, especially just ever so slightly softened by being ahead of the focal plane.  I tried to get her skin and face right about 5 times and each time it looked like she'd been shot in the face by Homer's make-up gun :P 

Lol - thanks man! 

1 hour ago, udat said:

Finally finished Lando. This is the most time I've invested in one mini I think.  I tried to follow the long version of @Sorastro's awesome video.  I bottled out on the teeth and eyes tho :D

Superb work Udat!  The effort you put in - especially on the blue highlights - has really paid off :)

16 minutes ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

Apologies if you have heard this a million times already, @Sorastro, but your videos are the go-to when looking into painting Imperial Assault miniatures. Thank you for all your time and effort. :)

absolutely. As much as a picture of all my painted minis would show immediately who it was I turned to for color choices and techniques, I am still proud that I myself did the work, considering that I am zero gifted in all things artistic. People always ask "you did that Rancor by yourself???" ;)

9 hours ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

Apologies if you have heard this a million times already, @Sorastro, but your videos are the go-to when looking into painting Imperial Assault miniatures. Thank you for all your time and effort. :)

That's very kind - thank you Phoneix_FFG!  The supportive words help me now as much as they did when I first started :)

7 hours ago, Sorastro said:

That's very kind - thank you Phoneix_FFG!  The supportive words help me now as much as they did when I first started :)

As another show of appreciation, I just clicked your Member's Reputation over from 999 to 1000. Happy Repuation Day. :) 

On 20/10/2017 at 8:38 PM, udat said:

Finally finished Lando. This is the most time I've invested in one mini I think.  I tried to follow the long version of @Sorastro's awesome video.  I bottled out on the teeth and eyes tho :D

37816930051_e0b1c3a505_b.jpgLando Calrissian 

This looks fantastic. I wouldn't worry about the eyes or teeth as I don't think the mini suffers from not having them painted. I love the gold on the inside of the cape, very well done!

Greedo!

This guy's pose looks great, but I found it really hard to paint. There are a lot of areas that are tough to get to with the brush.  I also didn't have all the various greens and shades that Sorastro used in the video, so I tried to mix my own.  I think it looks ok, but the jacket and skin came out looking very similar despite using quite different paints.

26217701929_7b79f01b4f_c.jpg

Couple more pics here: https://imgur.com/a/F9KKd

So, after a very long pause, I finally started painting IA figures again. In no particular order I decided to start with Emperor Palpatine. I'm very happy about how the robe turned out but the skin...I used Pallid Wych Flesh, washed with Nuln Oil+Reikland Fleshshade+Lahmian Medium mix and highlighted again with Wych Flesh and some white. But the skin looks maybe a bit too white.  From the photos, the emperor's skin seems more ash colored.

I haven't varnished the figure yet since I'm thinking about repainting the skin. Any advices?

emperor_palpatine1.jpg

emperor_palpatine2.jpg

6 hours ago, udat said:

Took a run at Obi Wan.  I think I totally overdid the object source lighting.  Not sure if anyone can recommend a way to rescue it?

24195415128_ca776c9761_c.jpg

Obi Wan Kenobi

Yes I can...It happened the same to me with Dalia and Sorastro gave me the solution....

Just use de color brown , beige or white, depending on which part you are lowering the lightsaber light, and mix it with lahmian medium...this way you will get a glaze that it will lower the color of the light.-...you will need a couple of layers of this....just try a little bit in one small part so that you can see how it works....use more layers were you want less lightsaber light intensity...

I hope it helps, I´m a complete newbie but it worked out for me but maybe I´m not the best at explaining...

Here is Sorastro´s message and you will see afterwards the result...

4 hours ago, mjusto said:

Just use de color brown , beige or white, depending on which part you are lowering the lightsaber light, and mix it with lahmian medium...this way you will get a glaze that it will lower the color of the light.-...you will need a couple of layers of this....just try a little bit in one small part so that you can see how it works....use more layers were you want less lightsaber light intensity...

Thanks for the advice :)

My original colour mixes are long since dried out, but I will try that.  Do you think I should use the original base tone in each case, or one of the lighter tones from when highlighting (but before adding the OSL)?

Edited by udat

3 hours ago, udat said:

Thanks for the advice :)

My original colour mixes are long since dried out, but I will try that.  Do you think I should use the original base tone in each case, or one of the lighter tones from when highlighting (but before adding the OSL)?

Before I answer, I warn you I´ am a complete newbie...so, I may be saying things wrong...

But, I would use a half-way color between the base and the highlight...or directly the base color, or the highlight...I think that if you do it with enough lamhian medium and with a couple of layers, it should work with any color (base, Highlight or halfway)....

Imho, best would be to try in a tiny part of the farthest part of lightsaber light...

BTW, I love the brown and beige highlights you achieved!

Thanks.  I followed Sorastro's Obi Wan video, but rather than mix Steel Legion Drab with Mechanicus Standard Grey, I mixed it with Administratum Grey (lighter) because I wanted a warmer colour.  Then I followed the steps with the Ivory, etc.  The lighter robes are the bit of the figure I am most happy with :)

1 hour ago, udat said:

By the way, does anyone know a UK supplier/stockist for Testors Dullcote?  It's £50 on Amazon, and the few hobby places I found online don't have any stock.

Try Humbrol No.49 (matt). I gave up trying to get hold of TD over here (UK, only prices i can find it for online are ridiculous) but I tried this was actually fairly decent, I was worried it might ghost up, but I've had no problems during mild weather conditions (I have to spray outside, no indoor space) and gave a smooth coverage from what I've sprayed up so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001JJYZN4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(or try a hobbycraft store)

Army painter anti-shine wasn't too bad either (although the nozzle on the can I bought off ebay broke after second lot of spraying and lost all of its aerosol)

https://www.goblingaming.co.uk/base-primer-anti-shine-matt-varnish.html?source=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhZ_UgIab1wIVhCu9Ch1kYQq1EAkYAiABEgK5pvD_BwE