Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Let me start off by saying that I recently switched to Testors Dullcot and I absolutely love the product.

However, I seem to get a minor headache after spraying a miniature. Thankfully it only lasts a few minutes and goes away quickly.

I spray miniatures in a well ventilated area (in the garage with the garage door wide open) but I still seem to get a headache. It’s not like I’m purposefully huffing the miniature either. 

Is it best to go outside? Should I be purchasing a respirator? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armandhammer said:

Let me start off by saying that I recently switched to Testors Dullcot and I absolutely love the product.

However, I seem to get a minor headache after spraying a miniature. Thankfully it only lasts a few minutes and goes away quickly.

I spray miniatures in a well ventilated area (in the garage with the garage door wide open) but I still seem to get a headache. It’s not like I’m purposefully huffing the miniature either. 

Is it best to go outside? Should I be purchasing a respirator? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Hi!  The stuff sure does stink so yes I would definitely spray outside if possible (that's why I don't usually bother filming the step as it's too troublesome to film outside!) :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one of your disciples here, Sorastro.   I picked up a brush for the first time on May 19, 2017.  As of today I've got a full IA collection except the Inquisitor painted, as well as some Mansions of Madness pieces.

I'm hoping we don't lose you completely to Legion...even if it's only Ahsoka and Maul ^_^

Anyway, I humbly submit some of my work to the master.

The rest is here

https://zrob1701.imgur.com/

Hera2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

Another one of your disciples here, Sorastro.   I picked up a brush for the first time on May 19, 2017.  As of today I've got a full IA collection except the Inquisitor painted, as well as some Mansions of Madness pieces.

I'm hoping we don't lose you completely to Legion...even if it's only Ahsoka and Maul ^_^

Anyway, I humbly submit some of my work to the master.

The rest is here

https://zrob1701.imgur.com/

Hera2.jpg

Lovely work Zrob314 - especially as you've only been painting a few months!  

Ha ha - fear not; I have plenty more IA left in me yet... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That orange highlight is just superb.  I felt pretty happy with how my MHD came out when I painted him a few months back, but this makes me want to have another go.

Leia also looks incredible, especially just ever so slightly softened by being ahead of the focal plane.  I tried to get her skin and face right about 5 times and each time it looked like she'd been shot in the face by Homer's make-up gun :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, udat said:

That orange highlight is just superb.  I felt pretty happy with how my MHD came out when I painted him a few months back, but this makes me want to have another go.

Leia also looks incredible, especially just ever so slightly softened by being ahead of the focal plane.  I tried to get her skin and face right about 5 times and each time it looked like she'd been shot in the face by Homer's make-up gun :P 

Lol - thanks man! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, udat said:

Finally finished Lando. This is the most time I've invested in one mini I think.  I tried to follow the long version of @Sorastro's awesome video.  I bottled out on the teeth and eyes tho :D

Superb work Udat!  The effort you put in - especially on the blue highlights - has really paid off :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

Apologies if you have heard this a million times already, @Sorastro, but your videos are the go-to when looking into painting Imperial Assault miniatures. Thank you for all your time and effort. :)

absolutely. As much as a picture of all my painted minis would show immediately who it was I turned to for color choices and techniques, I am still proud that I myself did the work, considering that I am zero gifted in all things artistic. People always ask "you did that Rancor by yourself???" ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

Apologies if you have heard this a million times already, @Sorastro, but your videos are the go-to when looking into painting Imperial Assault miniatures. Thank you for all your time and effort. :)

That's very kind - thank you Phoneix_FFG!  The supportive words help me now as much as they did when I first started :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sorastro said:

That's very kind - thank you Phoneix_FFG!  The supportive words help me now as much as they did when I first started :)

As another show of appreciation, I just clicked your Member's Reputation over from 999 to 1000. Happy Repuation Day. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/10/2017 at 8:38 PM, udat said:

Finally finished Lando. This is the most time I've invested in one mini I think.  I tried to follow the long version of @Sorastro's awesome video.  I bottled out on the teeth and eyes tho :D

37816930051_e0b1c3a505_b.jpgLando Calrissian 

This looks fantastic. I wouldn't worry about the eyes or teeth as I don't think the mini suffers from not having them painted. I love the gold on the inside of the cape, very well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greedo!

This guy's pose looks great, but I found it really hard to paint. There are a lot of areas that are tough to get to with the brush.  I also didn't have all the various greens and shades that Sorastro used in the video, so I tried to mix my own.  I think it looks ok, but the jacket and skin came out looking very similar despite using quite different paints.

26217701929_7b79f01b4f_c.jpg

Couple more pics here: https://imgur.com/a/F9KKd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, after a very long pause, I finally started painting IA figures again. In no particular order I decided to start with Emperor Palpatine. I'm very happy about how the robe turned out but the skin...I used Pallid Wych Flesh, washed with Nuln Oil+Reikland Fleshshade+Lahmian Medium mix and highlighted again with Wych Flesh and some white. But the skin looks maybe a bit too white.  From the photos, the emperor's skin seems more ash colored.

I haven't varnished the figure yet since I'm thinking about repainting the skin. Any advices?

emperor_palpatine1.jpg

emperor_palpatine2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, udat said:

Took a run at Obi Wan.  I think I totally overdid the object source lighting.  Not sure if anyone can recommend a way to rescue it?

24195415128_ca776c9761_c.jpg

Obi Wan Kenobi

 

 

Yes I can...It happened the same to me with Dalia and Sorastro gave me the solution....

 

Just use de color brown , beige or white, depending on which part you are lowering the lightsaber light, and mix it with lahmian medium...this way you will get a glaze that it will lower the color of the light.-...you will need a couple of layers of this....just try a little bit in one small part so that you can see how it works....use more layers were you want less lightsaber light intensity...

I hope it helps, I´m a complete newbie but it worked out for me but maybe I´m not the best at explaining...

Here is Sorastro´s message and you will see afterwards the result...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mjusto said:

Just use de color brown , beige or white, depending on which part you are lowering the lightsaber light, and mix it with lahmian medium...this way you will get a glaze that it will lower the color of the light.-...you will need a couple of layers of this....just try a little bit in one small part so that you can see how it works....use more layers were you want less lightsaber light intensity...

Thanks for the advice :)

My original colour mixes are long since dried out, but I will try that.  Do you think I should use the original base tone in each case, or one of the lighter tones from when highlighting (but before adding the OSL)?

Edited by udat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, udat said:

Thanks for the advice :)

My original colour mixes are long since dried out, but I will try that.  Do you think I should use the original base tone in each case, or one of the lighter tones from when highlighting (but before adding the OSL)?

Before I answer, I warn you I´ am a complete newbie...so, I may be saying things wrong...

 

But, I would use a half-way color between the base and the highlight...or directly the base color, or the highlight...I think that if you do it with enough lamhian medium and with a couple of layers, it should work with any color (base, Highlight or halfway)....

 

Imho, best would be to try in a tiny part of the farthest part of lightsaber light...

 

BTW, I love the brown and beige highlights you achieved!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  I followed Sorastro's Obi Wan video, but rather than mix Steel Legion Drab with Mechanicus Standard Grey, I mixed it with Administratum Grey (lighter) because I wanted a warmer colour.  Then I followed the steps with the Ivory, etc.  The lighter robes are the bit of the figure I am most happy with :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, udat said:

By the way, does anyone know a UK supplier/stockist for Testors Dullcote?  It's £50 on Amazon, and the few hobby places I found online don't have any stock.

Try Humbrol No.49 (matt). I gave up trying to get hold of TD over here (UK, only prices i can find it for online are ridiculous) but I tried this was actually fairly decent, I was worried it might ghost up, but I've had no problems during mild weather conditions (I have to spray outside, no indoor space) and gave a smooth coverage from what I've sprayed up so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001JJYZN4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(or try a hobbycraft store)

Army painter anti-shine wasn't too bad either (although the nozzle on the can I bought off ebay broke after second lot of spraying and lost all of its aerosol)

https://www.goblingaming.co.uk/base-primer-anti-shine-matt-varnish.html?source=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhZ_UgIab1wIVhCu9Ch1kYQq1EAkYAiABEgK5pvD_BwE




 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...