really looking forward to painting Lando.  He's a masterpiece.  Not only have you influenced many to become solid painters in their own right, you're own skills have been taken to the next level.  Up until this point, I had the most appreciation for Gideon Argus and C3PO but you've set a new standard with Lando Calrissian.

Thanks a lot HK 47!

I'm learning all the time like everyone else and have been trying to improve my blending skills lately so I'm pleased you like the work I did on Lando.  I feel most proud however when I'm reminded that I've managed to influence "many to become solid painters in their own right" as that of course has always been the ultimate goal of the videos.  Thanks again!

Sorastro.

It's funny, I was playing a miniatures game the other day painted in the BS (Before Sorastro) time period. Looking at my newer stuff (especially my stormtroopers) is pretty amazing.

When the Jabbas Palace set was announced my first thought wasn't "What will the new heroes be?!", it was "Holy smokes, I can't wait to see what Sorastro does with Jabba and that Rancor!"

really looking forward to painting Lando.  He's a masterpiece.  Not only have you influenced many to become solid painters in their own right, you're own skills have been taken to the next level.  Up until this point, I had the most appreciation for Gideon Argus and C3PO but you've set a new standard with Lando Calrissian.

Thanks a lot HK 47!

I'm learning all the time like everyone else and have been trying to improve my blending skills lately so I'm pleased you like the work I did on Lando.  I feel most proud however when I'm reminded that I've managed to influence "many to become solid painters in their own right" as that of course has always been the ultimate goal of the videos.  Thanks again!

Sorastro.

It's funny, I was playing a miniatures game the other day painted in the BS (Before Sorastro) time period. Looking at my newer stuff (especially my stormtroopers) is pretty amazing.

When the Jabbas Palace set was announced my first thought wasn't "What will the new heroes be?!", it was "Holy smokes, I can't wait to see what Sorastro does with Jabba and that Rancor!"

Those were some dark times, prior to December of 2014 BSE (Before Sorastro Era). I'm grateful we're now in the year 2 SE (Sorastro Era). So much has changed, so many grateful painters, so many wonderful minis!

:P

Sorastro,

I feel a sense of wonder every time I watch one of your videos. I know that you have helped me in becoming a better hobbyist and this in turn has made me feel better in that I have improved at something I have always felt was beyond my scope.

Thank you.

If FFG are listening to this discussion piece, I would throw it out to them to create a book of your work and also the techniques you used. Sort of like 'Visions of IA'.

I appreciate all the work you have done, and I wish that I was in a position to do more.

Thank you again for this latest piece of work.

Thank you so much! Comments like this help more than you know :)

Thanks a lot HK 47!

Sorastro.

Those were some dark times, prior to December of 2014 BSE (Before Sorastro Era). I'm grateful we're now in the year 2 SE (Sorastro Era). So much has changed, so many grateful painters, so many wonderful minis!

:P

Lol you two! But seriously, how good does the newly-announced stuff look!? It's definitely the right time for me to ramp up my output :)

Maybe it's just me, but it seems the mini quality is improving. I've had to remove fewer mold lines and less flashing on the later minis. The rancor and Jabba look fantastic, and I'm excited to see what people do with these. I'm also really excited to get to work on some Gamorrean guards and give them a gross, slimy look. :D

Maybe it's just me, but it seems the mini quality is improving. I've had to remove fewer mold lines and less flashing on the later minis. The rancor and Jabba look fantastic, and I'm excited to see what people do with these. I'm also really excited to get to work on some Gamorrean guards and give them a gross, slimy look. :D

This is definitely the case. The Core Set minis are particularly bad. For example: compare Jyn to the Rebel Smuggler. 

Nice chunky details on the smuggler - very muddy and ill defined on Jyn

So I am almost at the Imp Officers now and noticed a steep incline for paint purchases. I'm counting 9 new paints and 2 new shades, for me that is about $70 after taxes. Just curious if Sorastro or anyone who has done the painting can recommend any areas we could possibly cut or replace with an existing paint from the previous steps? I am more than fine buying paints I know I will be using for a lot of the figures, but I think a few of these are only being used for the officer and possibly one more figure, so if I can skip that purchase I wouldn't mind it.

Edited by FrogTrigger

So I am almost at the Imp Officers now and noticed a steep incline for paint purchases. I'm counting 9 new paints and 2 new shades, for me that is about $70 after taxes. Just curious if Sorastro or anyone who has done the painting can recommend any areas we could possibly cut or replace with an existing paint from the previous steps? I am more than fine buying paints I know I will be using for a lot of the figures, but I think a few of these are only being used for the officer and possibly one more figure, so if I can skip that purchase I wouldn't mind it.

Hi FrogTrigger!

I feel your pain regarding the cost of paints! I suggest that you simply paint the officers a dark grey using a combination of black and whatever grey colors you may already have (Mechanicus Standard Grey, Eshin Grey etc.).  

I actually included an alternative such suggestion in the video description but I will paste it here also for convenience: 

"For a simpler grey look (that requires fewer paints!) you could try the following color scheme:

1) Base with Mechanicus Standard Grey.
2) Wash with Nuln Oil.
3) Highlight with Eshin Grey (this will initially look virtually identical to the Mechanicus Standard Grey), but then add some White Scar to the Eshin Grey to produce the next couple of lighter tones. (We use the Eshin Grey rather than the Mechanicus Standard Grey as it's a "layer" paint so better for building up semi-translucent layers.)

We can also skip the glaze step"

I hope this helps!

Sorastro.

Tell me at least those are Canadian dollars? Anyways, Citadel paints are not wallet friendly, have you made a cost comparison to Vallejo Model colors yet? I like Vallejo because they are cheaper and I also prefer their dropper bottles. I still use Citadel Shades though, they're simply the best. Although Army Painter's Quickshade Inks comes in close second and are much cheaper.

But you're right in wanting to avoid too specific one time colors.

Let's see for the officers... They introduce flesh for the first time? Some skin color + Reikland Fleshshade are essential paints for your arsenal, so there's no avoiding those. For the uniform, decide if you want plain grey or colored grey. Because, let's say you want a greenish grey: Ok, figure out what green you're going to need in the future. For example Trandoshan Hunters' scales are probably going to be green. Sorastro uses Castellan Green for those and also for Boba Fett's cape. It's a nice 'natural' green, which you'll be sure to find lots of uses later on so it's a safe buy. Now, make some mix of Standard Grey and Castellan Green on a palette and I bet you'll get a pretty authentic looking drab uniform green.

As to the uniform's wash, diluted Nuln Oil is OK if it's plain grey or dominantly grey, but some Athonian Camoshade in the mix wouldn't go to waste. You'll need it any time in the future where you want to shade green. It's an earthy green, works especially well with the aforementioned Castellan green. All of the basic color washes are pretty future proof, you won't regret owning them. Drankenhof Nightshade for blues, Carroburg Crimson for reds... Anyways, if you do buy a colored wash, do mix it with Nuln Oil, just like Sorastro does in the video.

When it comes to highlighting, although pure white isn't always the best answer (for reds for example), mixing it to the the skin- and the uniform colors should work fine, so no need to buy separate highlight colors.

The only color missing is blue for the badge. It's so tiny detail you can skip it if you want, but on the other hand you're going to need some basic blue in your arsenal eventually anyways, so pick one up.

As to the glazes, I love glazes, they can be great, but also far from necessary. Skip.

So, what, 4-5 new paints? All of which will find more uses in the future.

Both posts are a massive help, thank you very much. Like I said I knew it wasn't a cheap hobby and I have no problem buying the paints I know I will need for multiples down the road, but if I can avoid a few one offs here and there it really helps the speed at which I can paint these.

Thanks again!

Edit: and yes that is in canadian dollars :D My LGS puts the base/layers/glaze at 5 per and the shades are 9 per (for twice the size as well) so it adds up fast. My wife does some travelling in the states for work so I need to locate a good paint store to make an order in Ohio I think, that is her next stop.

Edited by FrogTrigger

Spent several hours on my Lando - who is one of my all time favourite sci-fi characters - overall, I'm OK with him, he just came out about three shades darker than I wanted. His cloak (including the gold inlay), shirt skin and even pants are about two or three shades darker. I debated the undercoat and chose black over white, which is obviously where the darker shades come from, so I feel I missed the opportunity of a lifetime in doing this one model right.

FrogTrigger, on 22 Aug 2016 - 7:55 PM, said:

Edit: and yes that is in canadian dollars :D My LGS puts the base/layers/glaze at 5 per and the shades are 9 per (for twice the size as well) so it adds up fast. My wife does some travelling in the states for work so I need to locate a good paint store to make an order in Ohio I think, that is her next stop.

If you haven't already gone too deep in the shades, try looking on Amazon for someone selling the citadel shade paint set. I was able to get one for $32 US shipped. It contains most of the shade range in normal sized bottles, which is great for those shades you're only going to use a little of. You'll still need to get Fuegan Orange, Athonian Camoshade and Coelia Greenshade separately though.

Sorastro, I really appreciate how hands on you are with us here on the forums. Besides being an amazing painter, you show real class, and are a quality human being too. You should hear it from time to time, so there it is. :)

That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me.  Thank you Force Majeure!

I will respond with the obligatory teaser shot for the next video which is going public on Monday, and for those who weren't aware I'd like to share the news that I have now resigned from my previous ("real") job to focus on producing painting videos full time, so you can expect a lot more Imperial Assault videos from me from now on.

The success of what I'm doing has been fueled by the enthusiasm of this wonderful community so it really is I who should be thanking you all.  

Here's to a lot more... happy painting! :)

29172082991_90fc7cbbf0_b.jpg

Spent several hours on my Lando - who is one of my all time favourite sci-fi characters - overall, I'm OK with him, he just came out about three shades darker than I wanted. His cloak (including the gold inlay), shirt skin and even pants are about two or three shades darker. I debated the undercoat and chose black over white, which is obviously where the darker shades come from, so I feel I missed the opportunity of a lifetime in doing this one model right.

Don't fret! You can always strip the paint from the model.  Consider this a practice run.

If you have any questions about the process, I or any of the regular forum posters can chime in with help.

Thank you so much for these videos!  I am new to the hobby, and loving the challenge.  Glad to hear you made the leap from your day job to doing this full time.  You have a real gift!

Thank you Conviction! Much appreciated :)