Smugglers! - I think maybe I should change the hair color of one of them? Maybe the guy with the blue jacket can have brown or blonde hair?

swkZwuy.jpg

xvtaQCQ.jpg

That just leaves Loku and a Bantha to do, and for the first time since release I will have caught up and have everything painted! 

Re: Loku's skin tone - what are people's thoughts? 

Edited by jonboyjon1990

Re: Loku's skin tone - what are people's thoughts?

There's discussion regarding Loku's skin tone in earlier pages of this thread: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/133635-sorastros-painting/?p=2022718

And there was a whole thread about his skin tone too: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/202833-loku-painting-advice/

But as a summary the few methods used and described so far:

My Loku

Basecoat with Mephiston Red, wash with Reikland Fleshshade, highlight with Evil Sunz Scarlet and Wild Rider Red. For the brightest highlights, mix in some Fire Dragon Bright into the Wild Rider Red, then a little bit of white. Wash with Seraphim Sepia (do not let it pool anywhere) and then do the forehead dots carefully with Seraphim Sepia.

Addum's Loku

I base coated the skin with Khorne Red, then Carroburg crimson.

Then I layered with many, many thin coats of different reds wazdakka red/evil suns scarlet up to a highlight of wild rider red. (experimenting with the red without really knowing where I was going with it) Focusing on the facial features, lumps on the crown, eye sockets and tops of hands/flippers.

Then, at the very end, I washed twice with Cassendora Yellow and he turned from redto glorious orange overall. He was looking a bit red up until that point.

Tocino's Loku

"Used a mix of 1 part Vallejo bright orange and 2 parts Vallejo flat red followed by a wash of citadel carroburg crimson."

There are photos in the "Loku painting advice" thread and these techniques are summarized from there. Maybe they'll be helpful in deciding what way you want to go with your Loku. :)

That's a beautiful set of figs!  

Thank you Rikalonius! I honestly don't think I would have managed to get this far were it not for the encouragement and support of the community :)

Well you certainly give back with your video series and the succinct tutorials that make us amateurs much better than we should be.

Thanks Sorastro!! Just wanted to let you all know that the conversion cart is up for people using Vallejo paints for Ep.19: Mak Eshka'rey.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/192787-boomers-paint-page-and-conversion-charts/page-3

Hey Sorastro have you considered putting out a DVD? Even though your videos are available online I would still be willing to pay for a DVD. I’m sure I am not alone in being  willing to pay for a DVD.

That's a lot of work on that Excel spread sheet.  I totally would have gone the other way on that, putting the paint types at the top.  I don't know, it would have just read easier to me that way, but you do have that easy to read # of minis using this color.  Anyway, good job on it.

Edited by Rikalonius

That's a lot of work on that Excel spread sheet.  I totally would have gone the other way on that, putting the paint types at the top.  I don't know, it would have just read easier to me that way, but you do have that easy to read # of minis using this color.  Anyway, good job on it.

Thanks!

When I'm not using a spreadsheet for formulas or calculations (I suppose I am technically doing that in this tracker, it's just all very light stuff) it's hard to know what layout people will find most useful. So I built it the way it would make the most sense for me, and take it from there. :P I figured the most useful stuff for people would be the "minis using this color" field and the ability to add whether or not they have a paint to the "have it" column so they could use it as a shopping list if they make a local copy, hiding the columns for minis they've already painted.

I have only just begun to seriously examine painting my figs. I fear I screwed up early on when (as encouraged by a friend who, while asserting to know much about everything, clearly knew little to nothing about mini painting) told me to just coat my minis using a standard black paint by citadel.  While this may not seem like a huge issue off the top, I was unaware that the paints should be diluted down with water prior to beginning painting. Now I fear that some of my minis may be irreversibly blotchy when I get around to doing a full paint job on them :/

I don't suppose there would be many ways to counteract this incredibly rookie based mistake?  I am going to be trying on stormtroopers to begin with, as I can always obtain replacement figure packs for them if the results are incredibly subpar. 

I am in awe of your videos and how well your models turn out! I hope some day soon I am able to start doing more painting of my figs! (waiting for the new job to pan out before committing heavily to any hobbies at the moment).

I have only just begun to seriously examine painting my figs. I fear I screwed up early on when (as encouraged by a friend who, while asserting to know much about everything, clearly knew little to nothing about mini painting) told me to just coat my minis using a standard black paint by citadel.  While this may not seem like a huge issue off the top, I was unaware that the paints should be diluted down with water prior to beginning painting. Now I fear that some of my minis may be irreversibly blotchy when I get around to doing a full paint job on them :/

I don't suppose there would be many ways to counteract this incredibly rookie based mistake?  I am going to be trying on stormtroopers to begin with, as I can always obtain replacement figure packs for them if the results are incredibly subpar. 

I am in awe of your videos and how well your models turn out! I hope some day soon I am able to start doing more painting of my figs! (waiting for the new job to pan out before committing heavily to any hobbies at the moment).

You could always go and pick up a gallon jug of super clean. I have used it to take the paint off of the miniatures when I have messed up and it has worked flawless on them. I do recommend you wearing vinyl gloves so it does not dry out your hands.

Well I've reached the end of the tutorials so far  :(  Now I'm moving out into the scary world of painting on my own. Having never painted outside of Sorastro's tutorials before it's a bit scary!

I think I'm doing it though... here are the first two I've done unaided:

C8w06qi.jpg9sywfjW.jpg

What I'm not sure about is where I need to improve, any advice or feedback about what any of you guys would have done differently is certainly welcome!

@shivore My answer would be that you probably don't need to improve, for the table top I bet those look awesome, the fact they look good on camera is a really good sign as only there will you will typically pick up on things the naked eye cannot see.

You might want to start thinking about basing your minis, I think of basing as a frame is to a painting, it's another useful skill set to grow.

Other than that, think about the style to you like, whether it be cartoony, high contrast or dark and moody, play around with colour to get the look you prefer :)

Edited by Digimortal

Can you please explain how do you pain the eyes. I can't seem to make them look proper without messing them up.

Assuming it's OK to link to non Sorastro videos here? This is a classic technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhH-GWvHG00

I actually find the imperial assault minis pretty tricky to do, partly due to the small head sizes (especially smaller female figures) but I also find the eye lids stick out quite prominently on a few minis catching bits of black/white where I don't want it, I should probably add more shading around the eyes to mask some of these errors.

Also make sure you get your self a small brush like the Winston & Newton Series 7 (Size 0) brush.

So I've finally caught up and have everything painted - for the first time since the release of the game in Dec 2014. I think I've got 102 figures. Although I do have a lot of rebasing to do...

1BLrDWC.jpg

CoV6iHe.jpg

GuLV9Cb.jpg

JXNZPms.jpg 

And for the full album of everything

Great job! It's paint jobs like these that helped inspire me to try my hand at painting in the first place.