I've been watching your videos and really loved them. Especially the AT-ST and Darth Vader. I'm currently waiting for my paints and other products to arrive before I begin painting my own figures.

These videos were really helpful and I can't wait to use your suggestions to paint my own

Thanks a lot JackyH! I'm glad you're finding the videos helpful :)

I'm a big fan of your videos, Sorastro! I used them as the basis for some of my own miniatures with a few minor tweaks. Back when I tried to get into wh40k, my painting technique was usually, primer, basecoat, drybrush, wash/ink, then highlights. I'm still trying to get used to how you do it but I'm pretty happy with my results. So far I've finished Vader, some stormtroopers, officers, probe droids, and my e-webs.

I used the idea from your videos for a lot of my minis, last night finally got round to AT_ST's. prepared an old sock to use and found the results to be... Distressing. (see what I did there) I mean they are awesome, i missed a couple of spots, but a quick patch up tonight will easily sort them. Always good to try a new technique out and pleasing when first attempt lives up to expectation.

Your videos are very informative and I like that you've introduced new techniques over the course of the videos. keep up the amazing work :-)

I'm a big fan of your videos, Sorastro! I used them as the basis for some of my own miniatures with a few minor tweaks. Back when I tried to get into wh40k, my painting technique was usually, primer, basecoat, drybrush, wash/ink, then highlights. I'm still trying to get used to how you do it but I'm pretty happy with my results. So far I've finished Vader, some stormtroopers, officers, probe droids, and my e-webs.

Thanks a lot tocino!  

I used the idea from your videos for a lot of my minis, last night finally got round to AT_ST's. prepared an old sock to use and found the results to be... Distressing. (see what I did there) I mean they are awesome, i missed a couple of spots, but a quick patch up tonight will easily sort them. Always good to try a new technique out and pleasing when first attempt lives up to expectation.

Your videos are very informative and I like that you've introduced new techniques over the course of the videos. keep up the amazing work :-)

Thanks Soontirbeblownup (nice name btw!).  I do like the low-tech approach sometimes (i.e. the sock) and I'm happy it worked out OK for you :)

Little update; Episode 18 is taking a while due to some disruptive building work going on at my house but will be ready by the end of the month.  (And it's Fenn which means just one more base-set hero left!)

I have a question regarding Snowtroopers. Obviously the steps for painting them should be a lot like painting Stormtroopers. But I'm a little thrown off by different reference shots I've seen of them. In some, the fabric parts, especially the pants, look off-white, kind of cream-colored or just dingy; in others, it's a pretty bright white throughout.

How are you guys treating Snowtrooper painting, and if you are going for the off-white fabric, what are you doing differently?

Thank you for the link Leveton. I used that as a reference. Snowtroopers are trickier to paint than regular stormtroopers. I used Nuln Oil on the figure except on the legs from knee down. Instead I used Agrax Earthshade and then highlighted with Pallid Wych Flesh and added some white to it for further highlights. Other parts I just highlighted with White Scar.

For the cloak, I thinned White Scar even further so that I could paint it in really thin layers and try to get a smoother transition between the shadowed parts and the ridges. It looks fairly good though the effect wasn't captured as well in the photo.

The bluish-gray parts on the backpack I painted with Russ Grey and then with some Fenrisian Gray. Here are photos of my work so far. A lot of neatening up to do (and some out-of-focus nosy rebel scout was captured on the shot as well):

loku_snowtrooper.jpg

loku_snowtrooper_back.jpg

Edited by Elrath

It's not opening for me. But if the 501st says either works, I'm going with full white for simplicity's sake.

I was experiencing intermittent difficulties with the site the other day.  I don't know if it's always like that or not, but it just took a couple attempts with refresh before I could get the page to load.

It's a tremendous resource.

I thought I'd put this out there in case it helps someone...I was painting Jyn last night, and instead of using a mix of orange and brown washes for the jacket, I used flesh shade. It seemed like it did a good job. I just didn't want to purchase a wash that I may never use again, and I imagined the flesh shade is similar to what I would get by mixing orange and brown.

I will probably go back and brush on some shadows to deepen them a little, but the flesh shade got into those little crevices along the bottom of the jacket that would make that a lot of work.

The hosting service did a remake on their server environment which is why the images aren't showing. There should be redirect from the old URL to the new but it doesn't always work. I've fixed some of my images and I'll fix this once I get on a proper computer instead of my smartphone.

I don't recall exactly what all I did for Loku as it was a crazy deal of trial and error. I painted his skin with Mephiston Red, shaded with Reikland Fleshshade, then highlighted with Evil Sunz Scarlet and Wild Rider Red. I then mixed in some White Scar into Wild Rider Red which does give it a more pinkish hue but I didn't mind. For the spots I used Seraphim Sepia trying to be as careful as possible as it is a wash when applying it as small dots.

And finally I think I used another layer of Reikland Fleshshade trying not to pool it anywhere and then another highlight of Wild Rider Red+White Scar mix for the brightest part. It was a lot of trial and error on my part as I wasn't happy so I kept shading and highlighting. It is worth noting that the skin you're trying to accomplish is supposed to look shiny on the forehead so the transition from "normal" skin color to the lightest tone skin color has to be a rather sharp for it to look good.

At one point I had even finished painting Loku but an hour later when I planned to spray the varnish I decided to do some additional highlighting on the skin. It is definitely the most challenging part of the figure to get right. And I don't feel like I did a brilliant job of it myself.

For Loku's jacket I used a mix of Averland Sunset and Zandri Dust, washed with Agrax Earthshade and then highlighted with Tallarn Sand with a hint of Flash Gitz Yellow in it.

EDIT: I fixed the broken links in couple of my old posts

Edited by Elrath

Here are couple of close ups of my Loku, maybe you find them useful. You can also see that I'm too lazy to remove mold lines.

Loku:

loku_front.jpg

loku_side.jpg

And I painted some HK droids. These are the non-elites and I wanted to make them look like the HK-50s from the Knights of the Old Republic 2. In some pictures they had this cyan hue which I liked so I washed the droids with a mixture of Nuln Oil and Coelia Greenshade. And highlighted with Runefang Steel with some Coelia Greenshade mixed into it to change the hue.

hk-droid_normal.jpg

I plan to do the elite droids more like HK-47. Also, can't wait to get started with Fenn. Eagerly waiting for the video. :)

EDIT: All the assassin droids are now painted. I like the dust colored glaze Sorastro introduced in the Boba Fett video. It dulls the shine of the scratches but doesn't darken them which is nice.

hk-droids_front.jpg

hk-droids_back.jpg

Edited by Elrath

Thanks Elrath.

I painted Loku's skin last night. Really happy with the result.

Thanks for the tips.  I used all the reds you suggested.

I still found him a bit red so I used Cassendora Yellow shade on him.  Wow what a pop.  Sudden transformation of red to orange.

Ill try to post a decent picture later on.