Anyone of you have experience with Praxeti White? It's a Citadel Dry series. Is it any better than Ceramite White for drybrushing?

I'm painting the wampas at the moment mostly because I wanted to test the new can of Army Painter White primer I bought. Luckily it worked fine. I'm painting these much the same way as the wookies so I'm doing fur first, then the other parts. I primed white, improved the coverage with Ceramite White, washed with 50/50 mix of Agrax Earthshade and Null Oil and rather heavily drybrushed with Longbeard Gray that I had from painting the AT-ST. So I'm happy with the overall look but I want to drybrush the upturned parts white to give the fur more contrast.
wampa_early.jpg

Does the Praxeti white have more pigment than the Ceramite White? Or is it pure waste of money?

As a sidenote. Citadel is renewing their paint range so at least my local game store had a bunch of Citadel paints in discount. Too bad I owned few of them already but I bought Mourn Mountain Snow which is from their Texture range. I want to try that on the base. I'll let you know how that worked out.

Sorastro, how do you thin your paints? I don't recall you ever really breaking down your process. Just curious, because your paints look really watery but go on rather thick imo.

Probably the thing I need to work on the most is thinning properly.

Sorastro, how do you thin your paints? I don't recall you ever really breaking down your process. Just curious, because your paints look really watery but go on rather thick imo.

I typically just use a couple drops of water from one of these. If I'm using a little bit of paint I'll use as little as one drop. If I'm using a lot, I'll go as high as 4. There's some variability depending on the paint itself and how thick you'd like it to go onto the mini, of course.

In my limited experience, priming well and making sure my paints weren't too thick have been helpful in maintaining the details from the sculpt while getting good coverage from the paint.

I used a large kitchen tile for my pallet. Doesn't work fantastic, but easy to clean, it's cheap, and works. I also keep all my painting stuff, paints, brushes, primers, basing materials, all in a tool box.

Sorry to quote everything, I know it clogs up the page a bit, but Ibeing quite often and don't really know how to take bits and pieces.

I too used a ceramic tile for a palette, but have begun using a wet palette.  Cannot recommend this enough, especially when using vallejo paints and painting for any extended time.  Very simple to make, almost prethins the paint, and keeps it fresh for hours.  Makes mixing colors easy as well.

I cannot recommend this enough as well. Once I made my own wet palette and started using it, never looked at anything else as a palette again. 

Not only can you blend paints better, but you can also save paint as it keeps them moist. 

I have mine setup inside the lid of a water bin (the lid actually opens and the wet palette is inside it, keeping it from drying out even more).

While I am not the great Sorastro :D You have to be careful as water will break down the paints pigment and you can get a strange blotchy look.

I use an acrylic medium as a thinner. For me, I paint with Vallejo paints and the Thinner Medium (#70.524) helps me get them done right as it spreads the paint smoothly.

Cheers!

Well, Wampas are done. In the end I didn't buy the dry paint and just drybrushed Ceramite White.

Wampas - front

wampa_front.jpg

Wampas - above

wampa_above.jpg

Wampa - The cool texture on the hand doesn't show on the other pics

wampa_hand.jpg

It's a great and rather fast figure to paint. I tested Mourn Mountain Snow texture paint on the base. It's pretty neat. It can be scooped and it has lots of grit in it which can form durable rocks etc. Alone it doesn't look much but I used Guilliman Blue on it, then drybrushed the snow and after that white. And now it looks pretty good. I'm happy how these wampas turned out.

Painting techniques I used are pretty much covered in Sorastro's wookie and Nexu videos though I think this one is even easier to paint. That said I'm eager to see Sorastro paint these and how they should be done properly. :)

Thank you for the kind words.

From the reference shots the palms seem to be light brown (though one would think that an artic animal would have a similar skin color as Earth polar bear) so I used Deathclaw Brown, washed with Agrax Earthshade and highlighted back with Deathclaw Brown and as a second highlight, mixed in some Screaming Skull. The end result looked good though the palm has excellent sculpt which really helps. Another nice textured surface is the wampa's feet which has these small crevices. I didn't quite know how to highlight something that doesn't have prominent ridges, is mostly flat and is in shadow though so I left it as it is after the wash.

Lovely Wampas Elrath!!

These bases turned out really well with the blue glaze helping contrast against the icy snow.  I may have to pick up some Mourn Mountain Snow texture paint.

Palms are terrific. 

As a bump.

Do not prime your figures outside when it's -23 C there. The end result is not pretty.

On another note. Now I have the chance to test stripping off primer. Yay :(

Edited by Elrath

As a bump.

Do not prime your figures outside when it's -23 C there. The end result is not pretty.

Why in heaven's name do you choose to live somewhere that is -23 C???  Your Tauntaun will freeze before you reach the first marker!

As a bump.

Why in heaven's name do you choose to live somewhere that is -23 C???  Your Tauntaun will freeze before you reach the first marker!

Best to prime minis from inside the Tauntaun in those conditions.

Best to prime minis from inside the Tauntaun in those conditions.

Because, as we all know, the inside of a tauntaun is Luke warm.

I thought these puns smelled bad...*pant*...*pant*...on the outside!

First of all, new user and new to Imperial Assault. I got the game for Christmas and have been doing a lot of reading up on it and learning about it before I begin my first campaign next weekend. Having played Edge of the Empire before, this has a very familiar feeling - almost like a RPG light - and I'm quite excited to play! I think this will be a little more my speed and that I'll enjoy this more as the added structure will reduce some of the creative liberties that have made the RPG a little bit difficult for me at times. 

Not being the most creative type, I've never once thought about painting the miniatures before, but it didn't take long for me to stumble upon everyone else's fantastic photo's of their painted miniatures and make me envious. And it didn't take long for me to find Sorastro's painting guide. Truth be told, they're absolutely amazing! I have yet to begin my first campaign and I've already watched every episode and now have it in my head that I MUST paint my own. Consider me converted, like so many others that you've helped influence. So second, I'd just like to thank you. For producing a great product and for giving me the desire, courage, and confidence to try this.

Finally, I do have a couple questions for you (and please do forgive me if you've already posted the answers somewhere - but scrolling through 48 pages of this thread is not something that I'm too keen on doing). First off, I am very interested in helping you produce more quality painting guides and becoming a patron, but I'm curious as to what the different contribution goals are? Despite looking everywhere that I can think of (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and most importantly your Patreon account), I can't seem to find the different levels or goals. The next goal is clearly posted as part time work and guaranteeing a video every second week (of which you're nearly 3/4 of the way there - and I really hope you do get there soon!), but I'm curious as to what's after that and at what contribution level would be required for you to make this a full time profession and produce a once a week video (as I understand, that's your final goal here - correct)?

And then a secondary question being do you intend to follow the Imperial Assault painting guide not just through the core game, but also through all of the different expansions that are being released? I know that you've released some Wave 1 Allies and Villains already so you're certainly going down that path, but do you intend to continue through Twin Shadows, Return to Hoth, all the rest of the Ally/Villain packs, and any potential future releases? I know this is difficult to answer given the relative unknown of the future and what it holds - pertaining both to how the future success of these painting guides and your ability to make a comfortable living of it as well as pertaining to how many future releases FFG will have in the Imperial Assault name. And to be clear, I certainly have no intention of holding you to it one way or the other, but I merely want to see where your head is at currently regarding this before I go ahead and make an investment in you.

Please do forgive me for asking these difficult questions, I mean no disrespect and certainly don't want to offend. This is just me and my finance background doing our due diligence before making an investment. While it may have an impact on my decision, it also very well may not. I really do enjoy your work and want to help. The most important thing is that you're making great painting guides and are making a substantial contribution to the FFG, IA, gaming, and miniatures painting communities and for that I know we are ALL very very thankful!

T

It's about time. I finally painted something following Sorastro's tutorial. Feels like forever since I did that.

Anyway, here's Boba Fett who has been primed for months and I finally got around to painting him. He sure had colors. But great thing about him was that his armor was so worn that it gave some leeway. And it was helpful to learn the techniques to paint the dents which I could use for Verena.

bobafett_front.jpg

bobafett_back.jpg

And so when painting Boba Fett, I thought, hmm, MHD-19 seems rather simple. Leadbelcher for base, drybrush Necron Compund. Nuln Oil+Drakenhof Nightshade wash...In total, I spent almost 40 minutes on this mini. Probably my fastest mini ever. Looks pretty meek though.

mhd19_front.jpg

mhd19_back.jpg

And so today, I painted Verena. I wasn't sure about her coat color since it seems different in the card image and in the cover image. So I just went with Karak Stone and decided that's the coat she wears for our missions. The player controlling her in our campaign is going to be happy I think.

verena_front.jpg

verena_back.jpg

And thank you Sorastro for the excellent Syndrael painting tutorial. I used that as a guide on how to paint Verena's hair. And thanks  for the many Imperial Assault tutorials as they form the base of my painting skills and I often watch them for reference when painting minis on my own.

Edited by Elrath

Wonderful work Elrath! You have some very lucky (and I hope grateful!) players in your group.

I'm happy to hear you found the Descent tutorial useful; that's what it's all about though - building up an internal library of recipes for different things (like Syndrael's hair) and applying them to other miniatures when needed, and Verena's hair came out great!

Fantastic job on Boba and the medical droid too!

...Finally, I do have a couple questions for you (and please do forgive me if you've already posted the answers somewhere - but scrolling through 48 pages of this thread is not something that I'm too keen on doing). First off, I am very interested in helping you produce more quality painting guides and becoming a patron, but I'm curious as to what the different contribution goals are? Despite looking everywhere that I can think of (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and most importantly your Patreon account), I can't seem to find the different levels or goals. The next goal is clearly posted as part time work and guaranteeing a video every second week (of which you're nearly 3/4 of the way there - and I really hope you do get there soon!), but I'm curious as to what's after that and at what contribution level would be required for you to make this a full time profession and produce a once a week video (as I understand, that's your final goal here - correct)?

And then a secondary question being do you intend to follow the Imperial Assault painting guide not just through the core game, but also through all of the different expansions that are being released? I know that you've released some Wave 1 Allies and Villains already so you're certainly going down that path, but do you intend to continue through Twin Shadows, Return to Hoth, all the rest of the Ally/Villain packs, and any potential future releases? I know this is difficult to answer given the relative unknown of the future and what it holds - pertaining both to how the future success of these painting guides and your ability to make a comfortable living of it as well as pertaining to how many future releases FFG will have in the Imperial Assault name. And to be clear, I certainly have no intention of holding you to it one way or the other, but I merely want to see where your head is at currently regarding this before I go ahead and make an investment in you...

Hello tllangef! 

Thank you for your post and the kind words!

Firstly, I fully intend to cover all of the Imperial Assault miniatures FFG release and I'm happy for it to remain one of the core games that I cover.

Regarding the Patreon milestones, they recently changed their layout and now only show the next milestone (but not the future ones) which I find a little strange but I'm happy to share that information. 

I actually had a meeting with my boss last Friday to inform him of my intention to give up my current position of responsibility and to halve my working hours later in the year (so there's no turning back now!). I am confident that I will hit the $1400 milestone by that time and securing a part time contract just gives me a little period of security before taking the plunge and entering full-time self employment (which I am quietly confident of achieving by Christmas this year at the very latest). 

I have currently set the final one-video-per-week milestone at $1700. That should bring me a gross income that matches that of my current occupation in education. 

I don't currently have any additional milestones set but am thinking of adding things like live steaming painting sessions, 4K video production (once it becomes more mainstream) along with things like paint range comparisons and some airbrush painting (although most of my videos will remain brush based).

I hope I've managed to answer your questions. This sure is turning out to be an exciting year for me! Although I'm taking a bit of a leap of faith, it's the staggering level of loyalty and support that the community has shown that is giving me the confidence to do this.

Kind regards,

Sorastro.
Edited by Sorastro

I hope I've managed to answer your questions. This sure is turning out to be an exciting year for me! Although I'm taking a bit of a leap of faith, it's the staggering level of loyalty and support that the community has shown that is giving me the confidence to do this.

Kind regards,

Sorastro.

Thanks for your prompt reply and answers to my questions!  Additionally, your answers were just what I was hoping to hear and I am quite excited to see what happens in the coming year!

Also, congratulations on taking the necessary steps towards your goal! Conducting that meeting and taking the plunge last week can't have been an easy step for you, but please know that you have the full support of this community and that we're cheering you on! Once again, congrats; this is an exciting time!

Edited by tllangef

I've been watching your videos and really loved them. Especially the AT-ST and Darth Vader. I'm currently waiting for my paints and other products to arrive before I begin painting my own figures.

These videos were really helpful and I can't wait to use your suggestions to paint my own