I haven't done it, but in some of Sorastro's videos he has cut figures off their bases with a hobby knife. He has been reattaching them to the new bases with a combination of superglue and pins (short pieces of paperclip superglued into holes in the figures' feet and base). I believe the first video showing basing was Darth Vader: 

Does anyone have some good tips on basing figures.

By that I mean I've bought some nifty industrial looking bases for my heroes. I have 2 of each hero so one right now is on a snow base where I just built up my environment on the provided base but for these I'd like to rebase them. Is there any easy way to detach a painted miniature from the FFG bases, is there a certain tool I should use?

What about attaching it to the new base? Plastic glue, super glue, elmers?

Thanks all (and sorastro for your amazing videos that really motivated me to paint in the first place!)

When I still played GW mini games, I re-based quite a few of my minis. I've done a few of the IA minis (I redid Vader to add some distinction and height to the iconic villain). Here's my take:

• I tend to use a razor saw (thin-bladed hobby saw) to remove minis. That being said, the IA plastic is soft enough that you could probably do it with a hobby knife. I feel like I'm much-less likely to injure myself with the saw, and it gives me almost the same amount of control.
  • If you're gluing the same kinds of plastic together, plastic cement is fine. Testor's is OK if you can't find something better, but I favor Tenax 7-R which is a plastic welder. If you're gluing plastic to resin, or if you need a near-instant bond then a cyanoacrylite (Superglue) is your best bet. I'd stay away from Elmer's product for most hobby applications.
  • There a ton of companies that make modeled terrain bases in a huge variety of styles. When selecting one, make sure the base size is fairly close to the existing mini's base. If you stick Darth Vader on a 60mm base, he'll look a little lost...
  • You can always add on to base, either rocks & terrain or other scenic elements. Avoid making the base too cluttered or busy, though: the mini should be the focus, not an afterthought to the base

Hello Sorastro, I was just wondering about your feedback on the winsor & newton brushes you used. I am currently using the army painter brand brushes but I don't know what to compare them to since I'm new to the miniature panting thing. I know you suggest the Rosemary company brushes but just wanted some more of your feedback. Thanks for your help.

Hi folks!  (I seem to have stopped receiving email notifications when people reply to this thread so I've only just read the last several posts..)

Hello Sorastro, I was just wondering about your feedback on the winsor & newton brushes you used. I am currently using the army painter brand brushes but I don't know what to compare them to since I'm new to the miniature panting thing. I know you suggest the Rosemary company brushes but just wanted some more of your feedback. Thanks for your help.

I did like the Windsor & Newton brushes, but found some of them lost their point rather quickly (possibly partly my fault!).  Overall I couldn't really see the extra £s worth of quality over the Rosemary and Co. brushes (which are a fair bit cheaper).  I also like not having to be too precious with my brushes if I know it's not going to bankrupt me to buy a few more :)

Cheeky teaser for Episode 17 coming up; This one's called "Call off the Dogs":

23871635985_26842f12d5_b.jpg

:)

yeah, wont be bored during the holidays  ;)

Sorastro, can you tell us the new colors you used, or is Luke the first one all painted in previous used colors?

Sure mate; the only "compulsory" new colour needed is Seraphim Sepia (it's a shade) :)

EDIT: Oops I've just realized that I've used some Karak Stone too!

Edited by Sorastro

Such a shame I already painted my Luke.

lukeskywalker_front.jpglukeskywalker_back.jpg

I'm fairly happy with how he turned out though I would like to lighten the shadows a little. And redo the shoes. Do you think it would be viable to do some more highlighting on top of the varnish?

He looks great Elrath! And there's nothing wrong with painting over varnish.. It's never too late to do a little re-touching :)

Such a shame I already painted my Luke.

lukeskywalker_front.jpglukeskywalker_back.jpg

I'm fairly happy with how he turned out though I would like to lighten the shadows a little. And redo the shoes. Do you think it would be viable to do some more highlighting on top of the varnish?

He looks great Elrath! And there's nothing wrong with painting over varnish.. It's never too late to do a little re-touching :)

Master Sorastro....I have reviewed so many of your videos, that I can "hear" your voice and wisdom anytime you reply to the team!!!!!  Awesome work.  You are like the Happy Tree "Bob Ross" of modern miniature art!  Thanks for your talent and sharing!.....Wunderbar!

So I finished Vader and my Hunters, let me know what you think:

20151217_114703.jpg

20151217_114902.jpg

20151217_114912.jpg

20151217_114919.jpg

20151217_114923.jpg

The Hunters are all done the same until the shade step.  I used four different shades: Agrax Earthshade, Athonian Camoshade, Coelia Green Shade, and Beil-Tan Green.  This way each gets their own "personality".  I think if they come out with a Bossk figure I would use the Agrax Earthshade as it gives the skin that brownish tint that you see in ESB.  I didn't spend the time to make real fine camo like the video, I really went for that 80s military BDU camo, except Hoth inspired.  White for snow, Blues for Ice shades and Grey for rock.

With Vader I went pretty subtle on the red glaze since in the movies you rarely see the lightsaber effects on the characters.  I don't know if I highlighted the black enough, but I'm pretty happy with it all things considered.   He is so reflective in the movies it's tricky to paint his helmet quite right.  Technically you should see a red line from the lightsaber on his helmet, but I wasn't that brave either.  I really hope I didn't ruin him :( .

Edited by flightmaster101

Awesome work Flightmaster! I love the Hoth-inspired camo colours and your Vader looks great too; to be honest, the gloss varnish provides plenty of natural highlighting for the helmet anyway so there's no need to go to town with the manual highlights. There's nothing wrong with the cautios approach here :)

Also, what is it with the prospect of Luke facing off with nexus that's so awesome? :)

I took this photo in August when I finished my nexus:

nexu_luke.jpg

Also, flightmaster, your trandoshan hunters look awesome. That camo pattern looks just so good.

Looking at the photos here makes me want to retouch or redo many of own figures.

Edited by Elrath

Hi, quick question: what would be a good starting set for a novice? What about this: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Citadel-Project-Paint-Set? Any other essential colours I may need!m? Thanks in advance!

I started painting recently (well, I just realized it's been 10 months but it's still recent) and I bought the Citadel Hobby Starter kit. It had some base, layer, dry and wash type paints in it. In retrospect I'm not sure if it was a good buy as I haven't used all the paints in it. However, for new people I think you could start small and see if you like painting in the first place and then buy more.

I think you'd need at least:

Primer: White primer is most commonly used in Sorastro's videos. White is a good color to paint over because you get bright colors then.

Palette: Some sort of palette is a must. You can buy them cheaply from art stores. Something with small plastic cups is good.

Brush: It depends what is available near you but I've found Army Painter Wargaming brushes to be better (the ones with triangular white handle) and cheaper than Citadel brushes. But there are definitely better brushes out there than Army Painter. Army Painter brushes are available near me which is why I use them. If you use Army Painter brushes, you could paint your first figures with just the Character brush easily. If you want more choices, then Regiment, Character and Detail brushes give you a good variety for most work.

Matte Varnish: To protect your figures after painting. There are different brands available. I've used Army Painter Anti-shine varnish because it's about the only matte varnish available near me. But there are other varnishes available.

Paints: Well...this really depends on the figure you want to paint. If you follow Sorastro's awesome tutorials, the paint lists for each figure are mentioned in the video and/or are in the video description.

Maybe watch Sorastro's tutorials and then start with probe droids. Those are easier to paint than Stormtroopers in my opinion. Most of the figures are primed with white primer though and the probe droid tutorial uses gray primer. You can still prime the figures with white but you have to do a basecoat of gray before moving to the second phase of the tutorial.

As for storage. I'm now using two cheap sort boxes. I now have about 80 paints in them and the brushes and other tools. They may not be as pretty as boxes specifically made for the purpose but they hold all my stuff well enough for my needs.

And maybe you can borrow someone else's primer and varnish at the start so you don't have to buy two spray cans right away. You can then buy your own if you like the hobby.

EDIT: Fixed some typos and grammar errors

Edited by Elrath

Haven't painted since my last update, sadly.  Totally forgot that I painted Vader. That chest piece was a pain! I'll post pics later.

However, I realized how I'd organized my shopping list may be useful for other people. So I put a little spit and polish on it, and have published it here:

Imperial Assault Painting Sheet

EDIT 30 Dec 2015 - Possibly More Useful Sheet Link

The first row lists the number of paints used on each mini. The second row lists out the column headers for the majority of the content.

I set up some light formatting in the first column. Paints highlighted in green are used on 7+ minis. Paints highlighted in blue are used on 3 - 6 minis. Paints highlighted in yellow are used on 1 - 2 minis. I've seen some questions on this thread and others about which paints are the most "useful" or posts looking for the total listing of paints used across Sorastro's tutorials and thought this might help. It's worth noting that I got my paint lists from Sorastro's typed lists in his video descriptions. So if he listed a paint in the description, it's on this checklist even if he says it's optional in the video itself.

The rest is pretty straightforward. Someone could look at the columns for Vader and Boba Fett, see which paint rows have X's in them, and use that to figure out which paints to buy for those figures. I left a "Have it?" column blank so that if someone copied this to their own spreadsheet app, they could use it as a checklist. I also added which paint "type" every color is, as most of the shops around me sort their Citadel paint racks this way. It helps me find what I'm looking for more quickly if I can narrow my search to just the Bases, for example.

I've done... almost ZERO checking on my work at this point, so I make no promises as to its accuracy (especially to the spelling of the paints!). But I haven't come home with too many / too few paints when I used my personal version of this as a shopping list. Also, when I copy the content into Excel or back into Google Sheets, every row below the first one shifts one column over. I have no idea why. It's a quick fix to move that whole first row over so the "paints per mini" row lines up correctly. If people find this useful, I'll check my work. Or if someone notices a goof, I can fix it easily enough if it's pointed out to me.

Lastly... this is all based on Sorastro's fine, hard work and took me very little time to do. Not to call a fellow out, but Sorastro, if this comes off as stealing your thunder I'll be happy to kill the link and this post. Or if you'd like to take the file and use it as the basis of something you host somewhere yourself, you're more than welcome to do so. And of course if this exists somewhere else and I wasted my time, that would be useful too, but I didn't see anything!

Edited by KalEl814

Watching your videos got me into miniature painting also.  I started with Mice and Mystics though because they seemed easier but have been following your guides for the Imperial Assault minis.  Thank you for all the work you put into them!

Fantastic work KalEl814! I'm sure lots of people will find this useful; I especially like the "minis using this colour" column. I will happily point people to this document when they ask me about paint lists. (And please don't worry about thunder stealing :) )

Hi, quick question: what would be a good starting set for a novice? What about this: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Citadel-Project-Paint-Set? Any other essential colours I may need!m? Thanks in advance!

I started painting recently (well, I just realized it's been 10 months but it's still recent) and I bought the Citadel Hobby Starter kit. It had some base, layer, dry and wash type paints in it. In retrospect I'm not sure if it was a good buy as I haven't used all the paints in it. However, for new people I think you could start small and see if you like painting in the first place and then buy more.

I think you'd need at least:

Primer: White primer is most commonly used in Sorastro's videos. White is a good color to paint over because you get bright colors then.

Palette: Some sort of palette is a must. You can buy them cheaply from art stores. Something with small plastic cups is good.

Brush: It depends what is available near you but I've found Army Painter Wargaming brushes to be better (the ones with triangular white handle) and cheaper than Citadel brushes. But there are definitely better brushes out there than Army Painter. Army Painter brushes are available near me which is why I use them. If you use Army Painter brushes, you could paint your first figures with just the Character brush easily. If you want more choices, then Regiment, Character and Detail brushes give you a good variety for most work.

Matte Varnish: To protect your figures after painting. There are different brands available. I've used Army Painter Anti-shine varnish because it's about the only matte varnish available near me. But there are other varnishes available.

Paints: Well...this really depends on the figure you want to paint. If you follow Sorastro's awesome tutorials, the paint lists for each figure are mentioned in the video and/or are in the video description.

Maybe watch Sorastro's tutorials and then start with probe droids. Those are easier to paint than Stormtroopers in my opinion. Most of the figures are primed with white primer though and the probe droid tutorial uses gray primer. You can still prime the figures with white but you have to do a basecoat of gray before moving to the second phase of the tutorial.

As for storage. I'm now using two cheap sort boxes. I now have about 80 paints in them and the brushes and other tools. They may not be as pretty as boxes specifically made for the purpose but they hold all my stuff well enough for my needs.

And maybe you can borrow someone else's primer and varnish at the start so you don't have to buy two spray cans right away. You can then buy your own if you like the hobby.

EDIT: Fixed some typos and grammar errors

I used a large kitchen tile for my pallet. Doesn't work fantastic, but easy to clean, it's cheap, and works. I also keep all my painting stuff, paints, brushes, primers, basing materials, all in a tool box.

Sorry to quote everything, I know it clogs up the page a bit, but Ibeing quite often and don't really know how to take bits and pieces.

I used a large kitchen tile for my pallet. Doesn't work fantastic, but easy to clean, it's cheap, and works. I also keep all my painting stuff, paints, brushes, primers, basing materials, all in a tool box.

Sorry to quote everything, I know it clogs up the page a bit, but Ibeing quite often and don't really know how to take bits and pieces.

I too used a ceramic tile for a palette, but have begun using a wet palette.  Cannot recommend this enough, especially when using vallejo paints and painting for any extended time.  Very simple to make, almost prethins the paint, and keeps it fresh for hours.  Makes mixing colors easy as well.

Fantastic work KalEl814! I'm sure lots of people will find this useful; I especially like the "minis using this colour" column. I will happily point people to this document when they ask me about paint lists. (And please don't worry about thunder stealing :) )

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I did some QC on my work and made a few edits:

1) I messed up on the list for the AT-ST. Ryza Rust is on Sorastro's list, I accidentally X'd Russ Grey. That's been corrected

2) For the Trandoshans, I added the paints needed for the optional camo pattern referenced in the video

3) For any figure that Sorastro rebased, I added the paints needed for that

For item 3, I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts. Some of the colors recommended for rebasing are used often enough that people will probably end up with them anyway; Abaddon Black, Ironbreaker, and Russ Grey. However, Warlock Bronze and Hashut Copper seem to be used primarily on the rebases and not so much on the minis themselves. I left them on the relevant mini lists now in the interest of being thorough. I'd hate to have someone use this list as a jumping off point, get the mini painted, and realize that they don't have the colors for the fresh, new base. But I also wouldn't like people to spend money unnecessarily. I've got no idea how many people are rebasing their minis, but if it would be useful to have a new column called "Rebase Colors" I'm happy to add that and split out the relevant paints. Any thoughts on this topic would be welcome.

Also, would there be any interest in me adding a "Vallejo Equivalent" column? I know not everyone uses Citadel paints and there are enough conversion charts on the web that I could do it easily enough if there's interest. I'm using all Citadel paints so if I did this, I'd ask that someone familiar with Vallejo do a sanity check against my work.

Finally, I created a new link that I think will be easier for people to use and to copy. I'll leave the original publish link up too, but here's one I think is a bit more functional.

Imperial Assault Painting Sheet

Edited by KalEl814