Sorry about the double-post but I have a quick question for Sorastro.

Sorastro, are you planning to do a separate video for the Heavy Stormtroopers from the Twin Shadows expansion, or does the first video apply as they are basically the same as the default Stormtroopers?  And what about Kayn Somos?

Hi feltmonkey!  I will probably make one video that combines all those minis that are basically the same as the minis that have already been covered but just add whatever new elements might be needed (like Kayn's shoulder pad for example).  I'm a little snowed under by work work at the moment whilst still chipping away at the next episode so it may be a while.. :) 

Ok all,

Here is my first set of glamor shots.  Stormtroopers.   Let me know if you think I should keep going or stop ruining my models.

They look really nice to me...how is it that you have stormtroopers with 2 different positions? My IA came with all 9 of them the same, holding the blaster with 2 hands and the body leaning forward a little bit. Is that a DIY mod? Os maybe the spanish version comes with slightly different minis?

Ok all,

Here is my first set of glamor shots.  Stormtroopers.   Let me know if you think I should keep going or stop ruining my models.

They look really nice to me...how is it that you have stormtroopers with 2 different positions? My IA came with all 9 of them the same, holding the blaster with 2 hands and the body leaning forward a little bit. Is that a DIY mod? Os maybe the spanish version comes with slightly different minis?

The guys with both arms in front kinda leaning back are the villian pack alternate sculpt.  Should be available everywhere if you want them!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-imperial-assault/products/stormtroopers-villain-pack/

Edited by flightmaster101

I appreciate the well wishes and compliments.  Apparently I am my own worst critic. 

Your stormtroopers look very nice. It's easy to spot your own mistakes when painting and think that they're worse than they actually are. I dislike many aspects of the figures I've painted. For example, my Gaarkhan. I think he turned out way too blond.

Oh and as a comparison. Take a look at my first stormtrooper (It's a wide image so I just put a link here). The black bordered, leftmost figure is the first stormtrooper and first figure I've ever painted: http://koti.mbnet.fi/sfhaven/kraasaa/stormtrooper-history.jpg

Lots of paint details painted over and too much paint. Next to it, is the last stormtrooper I painted. And then some heavy stormtroopers with me trying to imitate a heated barrel.

Ok all,

The guys with both arms in front kinda leaning back are the villian pack alternate sculpt.  Should be available everywhere if you want them!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-imperial-assault/products/stormtroopers-villain-pack/

****! I thought the stoemtroopers pack would include more of the same as the core set...and I was thinking I could skip that one. Now I must have it as well. But who knows when will that be released here...wave 1 has just begun to be available and twin shadows hasn't hit the storses yet.

As promised here are my probe droids.  The matte spray made turned the color (or colour for Sorastro) grey (or gray).  Turns out the olive oil did the trick and restored them almost to pre-matt spray.  I did a touch up on the lenses, repainted the black and the gloss.  I did not matte spray them again though.  I don't know if I was supposed to because the EVOO eats the matt spray or if it just reacts with it to remove the colors (colours).  Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated. 

I'm going in episode order, so next up will be my Engineers and Royal Guards.  Please patronize Sorastro so we can get weekly episodes!  With Hoth coming there's a lot of painting between now and Christmas!

File%20Nov%2006%2C%2010%2003%2002%20AM.j

Thanks, those glazes were a little tricky to use the first time. Ended up flooding him and had to repaint lol

Ah well.. I think that's what they call "necessary failure" - I'm constantly learning what not to do that way :)

Thanks, those glazes were a little tricky to use the first time. Ended up flooding him and had to repaint lol

Ah well.. I think that's what they call "necessary failure" - I'm constantly learning what not to do that way :)

Honestly that's what gives me a bit of paralysis when painting. Especially on the models you only get one of (or Kickstarter exclusives), I never want to ruin it. It makes me very thankful these videos are out there so I can see the results of the color combinations before I paint! Edited by flightmaster101

Hello more experienced painters,

I've been painting my figures since the first Sorastro video and have drastically improved my skills and ability to highlight. Since Jyn Odan was the first hero I painted she looks a bit lackluster when compared with someone like Gideon. I was going to buy a new Jyn figure but first is there anyway to repainted an old figure. I feel like re-priming and then painting over it will ruin the detail but I'm not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I repainted some of my Troopers by letting them soak in a Simple Green bath for about a day then used an old toothbrush to clean them up. Primed and repainted and no details lost.

stubobj covered it all. Though if you feel like you just need to improve the shading a bit and maybe do some selective highlighting here and there, you can paint on top of the varnish and then spray a new layer of varnish on top of it.

But if you feel like you need to start over, then soaking the figure in some sort of cleaner and brushing the paint off is your only option.

I repainted some of my Troopers by letting them soak in a Simple Green bath for about a day then used an old toothbrush to clean them up. Primed and repainted and no details lost.

What's a "Simple Green Bath"?

Simple green is a cleaning solution. You simply dunk your mini into the cleaning solution and leave it there until the paint softens and you can use a toothbrush to get the paint off. You can use Dettol as well.

What you CAN'T use are solvents like paint thinner or laquer thinner. Those will eat the plastic of your mini.

Edited by Jerbiwan

Simple Green is a household cleaner.  It's incredible for paint removal.  It'll tear away at the acrylic paint, but it's gentle enough that it's not going to start dissolving the plastic.  He put some in a container and soaked his minis in it.

I've been using it on my Millennium Falcon model.  I kept trying different things on the hold floor, and I wasn't satisfied with anything.  That's when the oil paint came out.  It'll work for that, too.

I discovered sorastro’s amazing YOUTUBE vids earlier this year, when I decided to run a Star Wars Campaign (using Fantasy Flight’s great system) and needed to paint a bunch of miniatures (mostly Storm Troopers).  I purchased the Imperial Assault Game and started in… I then purchased a SECOND version of the game and tried a few “alternative” painting jobs.  

(as an aside, miniatures can be very expensive.  You can find Imperial Assault in most hobby and game stores for between $85.00 and $100.00 and on Amazon for less than that.  The game comes with 36 miniatures (incl Vader and Luke) so that’s $2.77 per miniature or much, much cheaper than most Warhammer 40K sets).

Sorastro’s vids are incredible; he’s a great artist and fantastic teacher.  If you are like me, you searched the net for “tips” on how to paint the miniatures, with varying degrees of success.  Sorastro, objectively speaking, is the best of the lot.  He does a great drop explaining 1) what to do, 2) why to do it, 3) how to do it, and 4) what to use; his videos are studio-quality.  I can easily follow along; he even describes substituting various paints etc.  It’s one of the best “How To” Vids on YouTube, regardless of subject.

I basically followed Sorastro’s vids to the letter and my results were… mixed, entirely because I’m not great at this.  I used Citadel Paints, and a variety of brushes.  I did experiment with other paints etc and those experiments lagged behind the quality of Citadel paints.  The only exception would be the “Army Painter” paints which worked very well, especially their “Ink” series and their metalics. 

I organized my results from “Worst to Best,” with commentary.  Feedback is welcomed and appreciated (even if its negative)

15: Giddeon Argus (No Pic): Grade: Incomplete.  Still working on him.  Have two versions: one is a copy of Sorastro’s job; the other is a lighter more “Scottish” looking model. 

14: Gaarkhan, the Wookie

DSCN2748.JPG

GRADE: F.  Terrible start.  I made the unpardonable mistake of trying to paint these BEFORE Sorastro’s vid.  The horror speaks for itself.  My Gaarkhans are dull, bland looking husks of matted-on fur and mixed colors that just lie there.  There are no thin shadings or contrasts between the lighter or darker fur-tones.  It’s basically two Wookie statues.  On the plus side, I thinks the weapons came out … f-fine… I guess… Overall, I did a terrible job on these folks. 

13. Diala Passil

DSCN2755.JPG

GRADE: D-.  The one on the right is the Sorastro mimic; the left is a personal rebranding.  Neither is very good.  Blotchy paint dominates what should be a confident and poised figure.  The subtle highlights are glaringly overdone; the light-saber seems tacked on.  While the right’s cloak came out okay and the left’s head-tentacles look very prominent, the overall models are poorly done.  Big whiff. 

12. The Imperial Guards

DSCN2804.JPG

GRADE: D-.  The Imperial Guards are the last figures I painted where I flat-out disliked my results.  The overall picture is like looking at the Imperial Guards through a 1975 portable TV set- blurry colors, fuzzy lines, terrible definition, and the weapons are utter disasters.  I tried making black, head-cowls for two of the guards to give variety: the results were that I feel like I painted two Imperial nuns; I half expect them to hit me with a ruler.  I did like the shine of the helmets and the contrast of the Imp.Guard “red” to the general “Black-and-White” tone of the Empire, but overall, the Guards were a miss. 

11. Jyn Odan

DSCN2749.JPG

GRADE: C-. If there is one thing I like about Jyn is that the color pops and it grabs your attention.  The jacket and accoutrements are easy to do; her body is well defined and there is not a lot of “fiddley” bits to get wrong.  Unfortunately, my Jyn still looks dull in places (especially her hair) and while her green-jacketed partner avoids this terrible fate, that one appears a bit splotchy and needlessly plastic.  I screwed up Jyn’s eyes so much, I converted them to sun-glasses… which I strangely didn’t hate.  Good model which I could have done better with.

10. The Storm Troopers (and the “Red Guard” Troopers). 

DSCN2811.JPG

Grade: C. The Stormtroopers represent my most glaring “near miss.”  I came close to capturing the menace of the Empire’s shock troops.  I thought I got most of the body, shoulders and some of the face-platting to come out really good.  And I was able to get some weather damage onto a few of them.  But its more down than up.  There are severe problems with most of the heads; the guns are drab looking blobs; some battle damage just makes no sense.  Mostly, my white looks caked on and boring.  This was the first thing I painted and it was a good start, but I wish I had done them later on. 

DSCN2813.JPG

I did attempt a variation using the “red” of the Imperial Guards on these Red-Guard Stormtroopers, and the results are uninspired. While I liked having a strata of “elite” Stormtroopers, the results look like somebody just dipped a Stormtrooper into Kool-Aid; the color is too saturated, clawing, and overwhelms the fine-detail of the model.  I wish I had made the trooper more red-metallic a la Captain Phasma in Force Awakened than the cherry-red figures here. 

I am going to stop here and wait until my post is "approved" and then post my "Top Ten.  

As stated, looking for feedback, criticism etc.

Once again, thank you Sorastro for making these vids.  Its great.