Can't wait to finish Boba and touch up Diala before making a starting to my scenery.

However doing a PhD I've not had a day off work for over a month.  Hopefully I'll have time to do some painting soon!

Has anyone thought of replacing the lightsaber blades (Vader's & Diala's) with colored acrylic rods? I'm not a huge fan of OSL painting, and I can't help but wonder if that would be a viable alternative. The old WotC minis had translucent blades and looked pretty good (for what they were).

Oh, and Sorastro, I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of thanks; your tutorials are a great help. We shall sing pæans in your honor!

Er...anyway, any plans to do R2-D2 and C3-PO?

Edited by SFC Snuffy

Has anyone thought of replacing the lightsaber blades (Vader's & Diala's) with colored acrylic rods? I'm not a huge fan of OSL painting, and I can't help but wonder if that would be a viable alternative. The old WotC minis had translucent blades and looked pretty good (for what they were).

Oh, and Sorastro, I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of thanks; your tutorials are a great help. We shall sing pæans in your honor!

I've done the clear blade thing... it comes out AWESOME.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of 'em :(  The only thing I can't figure out is how to keep Vaders from bending where I glued it into the hilt.  Its really... squishy?  I used superglue.  I guess I'll have to glue it again.  Diala's came out fine because I also pinned it to her hood. 

But really, this is a Sorastro thread, his stuff has helped me a ton!  Thanks and keep it up!

Your models look great- and as some of the other posters have said, that really is a huge draw to the game.  I was skeptical of the unpainted minis until I saw your guides and realized that FINALLY we have legit Star Wars minis that are good enough quality to be truly paintable.  Now that I've gone out and bought my own I am thrilled!  Building up more so I can have a big pool to draw from for Skirmish.  I somehow ordered up an Extra set (don't ask) and decided to take the Luke from the extra and convert a Storm Trooper into Luke in disguise.  It turned out pretty good so I'm going to do the same with Han Solo.  I can't paint as well as you but I'll throw up some pics to show how they worked out when I get them done.

I love the look of your Darth Vader, but I am thinking of swapping the light saber on mine with a clear red saber from the old minis sets... have you tried this?  I think doing that for him and Diala will give good results especially if combined with lightsource painting...

Keep up the inspiring work!

I haven't done much painting in a while. I did get two more onto a clear base though. I think they look alright.

Both use paper clip pegs in their feet again.

They look fantastic TheRedSon!  I will definitely be trying the pin/clear base combo for some future minis!

I've done the clear blade thing... it comes out AWESOME.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of 'em :(  The only thing I can't figure out is how to keep Vaders from bending where I glued it into the hilt.  Its really... squishy?  I used superglue.  I guess I'll have to glue it again.  Diala's came out fine because I also pinned it to her hood. 

But really, this is a Sorastro thread, his stuff has helped me a ton!  Thanks and keep it up!

Thanks Jonny! I'd love to see a pic of the clear blades now!

Didn't like how the Thread was falling, so I thought I'd share my progress on Fett.

Shading done, on to highlights!

http://imgur.com/gallery/6Opf1zw

Looking good. Nice, clean painting. I haven't even gotten to Boba Fett yet (well, I've primed the figure). I painted Wookie Warriors over the weekend and then yesterday I finally got Chewbacca figure. Had to fix the giant gaps in the mold with green stuff so I think I can prime Chewie tonight (and Boba could use a quick spurt of primer on his right side too).

I have to say that the wave 2 (or is it wave 3 now?) figures seem better than wave 1 or the basegame figures in the sense that there are less gaps between the model pieces. The wookie warriors and hired guns both have virtually no gaps. Or I just got very lucky. The only thing I regret about the wookies is not paying enough attention on the brilliant box art. The reddish-brown fur would have looked better than the normal brown I used.

Edited by Elrath

Phew! All done.. this fella needs no introduction :)

21803601946_d4a85e3654_b.jpg

Any thoughts of doing a 2nd Fett in ESB color scheme? Box art for TS is that one.
I actually referenced shots of both Empire and Return of the Jedi when picking the colours. I'm a little confused by your question as the Twin Shadows art features the green arm plates as seen in Empire whereas I went with the red option as seen in Jedi. Edited by Sorastro

21995364980_47472057c9.jpg

So I think this will be my solution to how to designate elites with the LITKO bases.

That's a wave 3 storm trooper by the way.

Is it still transparent? What did you do with them exactly? It's hard to guess with just the picture :)
22218773061_d0579f5bef.jpg[/url]

Yes, still transparent. Just not "clear."

I didn't do anything to them. I ordered a different color base from LITKO.

The one in the picture is transparent. The problem is the base of the light that he's standing on is just solid white. If you look closely you can see both the "peg" through the side of the base (it is distorted of course) and where some paint I haven't cleaned off the light is underneath the base. It looks like it's on his foot.

I did try painting one of the clear ones on the sides. I taped up the top and bottom, primed it and painted it red. Paint still wouldn't stick though. I figure this was the next best thing short of painting the shoulders a different color like some people have.

I did try painting one of the clear ones on the sides. I taped up the top and bottom, primed it and painted it red. Paint still wouldn't stick though. I figure this was the next best thing short of painting the shoulders a different color like some people have.

You need to scuff up the sides of those clear discs with sand paper before you try to paint them. The paint needs something to grab on to. Sand - Prime - Paint. That should do the trick if that's the look you prefer

Edited by tk426

Phew! All done.. this fella needs no introduction :)21803601946_d4a85e3654_b.jpg

Any thoughts of doing a 2nd Fett in ESB color scheme? Box art for TS is that one.

I actually referenced shots of both Empire and Return of the Jedi when picking the colours. I'm a little confused by your question as the Twin Shadows art features the green arm plates as seen in Empire whereas I went with the red option as seen in Jedi.

Not knocking your painting at all. Looks fantastic. Just wondering about why everyone seems to go with the RotJ color scheme. Think I'm the only one that did his in ESB colors.

Phew! All done.. this fella needs no introduction :)21803601946_d4a85e3654_b.jpg

I actually referenced shots of both Empire and Return of the Jedi when picking the colours. I'm a little confused by your question as the Twin Shadows art features the green arm plates as seen in Empire whereas I went with the red option as seen in Jedi.

Not knocking your painting at all. Looks fantastic. Just wondering about why everyone seems to go with the RotJ color scheme. Think I'm the only one that did his in ESB colors.

Post some pics dude!

Really not as well done as Sorastro's and I can't get pics to post here and yes, I've tried several times. I did post it in a FB group for X-wing repaints that the admin finally gave in and renamed the group to include IA & Armada repaints too.

Differences between ESB and RotJ Fetts:

Jump pack and arm guards are same color as normal chest armor.

Cloak is tan with a large dark brown stripe diagonally across the middle.

Belt may be slightly different coloring too.

Want to say these subtle and not big changes but they are because the RotJ version way more colorful.

I have and I think they look fantastic even if I say so myself.  I collect a lot of star wars toys so I had a heap of spare parts so I just raided these, took out some light sabres and cut them to size.  I apologise for Darth Vader, he's been on display and I've just realised he's rather dusty in this pic.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7AEA745492591ADD!2988&authkey=!AFstHkb6GjtKp1A&ithint=folder%2c

Phew! All done.. this fella needs no introduction :)

Hi!  Thanks for the clarification (I misread your original line about the TS box art which is why I was confused!).  I can't speak for anyone else who may have have gone for the ROTJ colors but I just liked the red bracers and the way they complimented the green cloak :)

Phew. Finally got Chewie painted so now all the wookies are done:

wookies_front.jpg

wookies_back.jpg

I should have painted redder fur on one of the wookier warriors like in the box art. Oh well...these'll do fine. Also, Gaarkhan's eyes...Imperials are wise to be afraid of him. :lol:

Boba Fett looks interesting. Also looks like I need a second palette for all the color mixes.

Phew. Finally got Chewie painted so now all the wookies are done:

I should have painted redder fur on one of the wookier warriors like in the box art. Oh well...these'll do fine. Also, Gaarkhan's eyes...Imperials are wise to be afraid of him. :lol:

Boba Fett looks interesting. Also looks like I need a second palette for all the color mixes.

Wow Elrath they look amazing!  I didn't even realize those wookie warriors were out yet :)

I'm busy editing Episode 15 anyways.. feels good to have got just over half the base-set heroes done :)

22178739139_128208d015_b.jpg

Your Gideon looks neat, Sorastro. I see you also painted the Rebel symbol on his shoulder. I left that out though I did paint the "Purina logo" on his chest. Also, the highlighting is much better than mine. I kinda wish I hadn't painted my Gideon. Though I suppose I can still do some extra highlighting and repairing on top of the varnish.

I'm curious. Did your Gideon figure have a huge gap between one arm and the torso? From my copy of the game I think it was the figure that required the most green stuff.