oh sorry, i dont know there are a vote for that....

the vote is public ? we can know the next ?

Hi Wells!  

Thanks for your comments regarding the order.  I'm in a bit of a "no-win" situation with the release order as roughly half of my viewers are in the US and other places which have the expansions and many of these viewers are keen to see some of the newer releases painted.  But around half of my viewers are in Europe and other places that don't have the expansions and these viewers would obviously rather see me stick to the core box.

My solution is to roughly alternate between the base figures and the expansions, and - as Muzz points out - really give the final choice to the $10 Patreons who are so generously helping to finance the videos.  I think that's the fairest way to please as many people as possible whilst also giving some reward to the Patreons to whom I am extremely grateful.  

We haven't yet voted on the next miniature but it will probably be one of the remaining core-box heroes (although I also intend to start a Descent 2nd Ed series soon too). 

Oh man, can't wait for the Boba!!  He is sitting in my paint area just staring back at me cause I knew it was coming down the pipe from Sorastro.  

Hey Sorastro - I've said it in about 3 different forums now, but you're work is so great.  I'm a first time miniature painter and would never have even stepped into the realm if not for your videos.  What started as just a hope to get the figures on the table has turned into a love for the hobby.  I look forward to the late night when I can sit at the table and work (not as much as I love hanging with my 17-month-old little boy, but now I have something to look forward to once he's asleep.)

I posted a question on your Probe Droid youtube video about my elite droid with gold.  Thought I'd share the work in progress.  The "silver with brown tint was" droid and the "silver with a blue tint wash" I'm really happy with.  Still have to weather them and finish the process, but I like the overall tones.  My "gold" idea, however, not so much.  I think using the brown/yellow mix was overkill.  I think I will try an additional wash with just the brown (agrax), and maybe dry-brush a bit of gold?  The current color does give me some color ideas for a certain protocol droid, though.

Silver with Brown/Black wash:

6fqnm8.jpg

Silver with Blue/Black wash:

25qbthg.jpg

Gold with Yellow / Brown wash:

ncsnq.jpg

Edited by inflightfilms

We didn't actually vote on Boba, but like Muzz said, it was no contest in my opinion.

I contribute enough to vote (there really aren't that many of us yet, lots of room to make your voice heard) but I can personally say I'll be voting for old heroes now that Fett will be done. I'm completionist like that. Though getting Han done might start to scratch the back of my mind. I mean, we have Fett... So many choices...

Hi Wells!  

Thanks for your comments regarding the order.  I'm in a bit of a "no-win" situation with the release order as roughly half of my viewers are in the US and other places which have the expansions and many of these viewers are keen to see some of the newer releases painted.  But around half of my viewers are in Europe and other places that don't have the expansions and these viewers would obviously rather see me stick to the core box.

My solution is to roughly alternate between the base figures and the expansions, and - as Muzz points out - really give the final choice to the $10 Patreons who are so generously helping to finance the videos.  I think that's the fairest way to please as many people as possible whilst also giving some reward to the Patreons to whom I am extremely grateful.  

We haven't yet voted on the next miniature but it will probably be one of the remaining core-box heroes (although I also intend to start a Descent 2nd Ed series soon too). 

thx for answer :)

i dont want play with a half-painting game, so if i want play before 2017, i go to painting the rest of by box without your help ^^

If you paint only box, there are 3 heroes + luke, so 4 month min, is too long for me :(

so do the order you want and THANX for your work already done !!!

Oh man, can't wait for the Boba!!  He is sitting in my paint area just staring back at me cause I knew it was coming down the pipe from Sorastro.  

Hey Sorastro - I've said it in about 3 different forums now, but you're work is so great.  I'm a first time miniature painter and would never have even stepped into the realm if not for your videos.  What started as just a hope to get the figures on the table has turned into a love for the hobby.  I look forward to the late night when I can sit at the table and work (not as much as I love hanging with my 17-month-old little boy, but now I have something to look forward to once he's asleep.)

I posted a question on your Probe Droid youtube video about my elite droid with gold.  Thought I'd share the work in progress.  The "silver with brown tint was" droid and the "silver with a blue tint wash" I'm really happy with.  Still have to weather them and finish the process, but I like the overall tones.  My "gold" idea, however, not so much.  I think using the brown/yellow mix was overkill.  I think I will try an additional wash with just the brown (agrax), and maybe dry-brush a light bit of gold?  The current color does give me some color ideas for a certain protocol droid, though.

Thanks for the kind words mate!  Congrats on the boy too; my own boy is 2 1/2 now and it's such a fun age :) (The image links you posted seem a little broken by the way!) 

Hi Wells!  

thx for answer :)

i dont want play with a half-painting game, so if i want play before 2017, i go to painting the rest of by box without your help ^^

If you paint only box, there are 3 heroes + luke, so 4 month min, is too long for me :(

so do the order you want and THANX for your work already done !!!

No problem Wells.  Believe me I wish I had the time to produce the videos at a faster rate.  Luckily most of my viewers understand how much time and effort goes into the videos so tend to be quite patient.  

The only way I'm going to be able to increase production is through Patreon support (as I certainly don't want to put the videos behind a pay wall); It might take me a while to get there but if or when I hit the forth milestone I plan to switch occupation and begin producing four videos per month instead of one, THEN there would be nothing to stop me catching up with FFG's release schedule :)

I am sure you get flooded with questions all the time and I want to give you as much time as possible to make your videos and paint. The question I have is what do you recommend for painters on a budget? I see you recommend using Citadel paints and Nuln Oil. I am looking for an intro level to see if I can handle this before making a big investment. Do you have any recommendations on budget/cheaper paints that have high pigment? I hope to start the storm troopers this weekend and by following your videos. I think i am going to go a cleaner white route and might skip the nuln oil. Which reminds me, what exactly is that? I'd like to see if i can get a substitute for this at my local hobby shop to try shading my troopers. Thanks again. The videos have motivated me to give this a try. Keep up the good work.

I am sure you get flooded with questions all the time and I want to give you as much time as possible to make your videos and paint. The question I have is what do you recommend for painters on a budget? I see you recommend using Citadel paints and Nuln Oil. I am looking for an intro level to see if I can handle this before making a big investment. Do you have any recommendations on budget/cheaper paints that have high pigment? I hope to start the storm troopers this weekend and by following your videos. I think i am going to go a cleaner white route and might skip the nuln oil. Which reminds me, what exactly is that? I'd like to see if i can get a substitute for this at my local hobby shop to try shading my troopers. Thanks again. The videos have motivated me to give this a try. Keep up the good work.

I believe Sorastro has said he's not actually an expert on different brands. My thoughts: Luckily Stormtroopers can't break your budget no matter what brand you get. You just need white spray primer, then black and white paints (and grey if you want but if you're REALLY on a budget, you can mix any grey tone from black and white). Possibly red to mark the elites. And you need a black wash such as Nuln Oil. Washes are basically really thin paints but you can't make Nuln Oil with just black paint and water. You'd need some medium such as Lahmian medium and even then it's tricky. 

DON'T skip the wash, it's the one step that ultimately transforms your figures from plastic toys to "realistic" looking miniature versions of the real things. They add the shadows and the definition. There's some weird science behind this but we miniature painters have to "fake in" the shadows and the definition with washes to make them look realistic. If you want a cleaner look, perhaps try applying it more selectively and not splash it all over the mini like Sorastro does in his video. But be prepared to tidy it up with white paint afterwards anyways...

I recommend Army Painter's Dark Tone Ink wash. It's exactly like Nuln Oil, but you get more for the price and in a nice dropper bottle for easier measuring. Later if you want more shades, I recommend getting their whole ink set.

As to the paints, I like Vallejo Model Colors over Citadel's myself, mainly for the dropper bottles and reasonably good coverage. They're cheaper than Citadel too but they're not "budget" paints either... I've heard some budget-minded people use some cheap hobby store acrylic tubes, but they look really thick to me and I've yet to see a photo of great results with them... I could be totally wrong about them too.

Finally, I found painting the 9 Stormtroopers waaaay more fiddly and time consuming than I thought it'd be, almost daunting. The Probe Droids (episode 2) on the other hand were a breeze. Consider starting with them. You need grey primer, some silverish metallic paint, black paint for the lenses, and a black wash. Gloss varnish for the lenses if you want to go that extra mile. They are very quick and satisfying to paint.

Edited by Hipsu

I posted a question on your Probe Droid youtube video about my elite droid with gold.  Thought I'd share the work in progress.  The "silver with brown tint was" droid and the "silver with a blue tint wash" I'm really happy with.  Still have to weather them and finish the process, but I like the overall tones.  My "gold" idea, however, not so much.  I think using the brown/yellow mix was overkill.  I think I will try an additional wash with just the brown (agrax), and maybe dry-brush a light bit of gold?  The current color does give me some color ideas for a certain protocol droid, though.

Thanks for the kind words mate!  Congrats on the boy too; my own boy is 2 1/2 now and it's such a fun age :) (The image links you posted seem a little broken by the way!) 

Sorry about the broken pics.  I have corrected back in the original post.  It is my first post so I thought they weren't showing due to awaiting approval.  The gold/bronze actually didn't look as bad when I got home and could see it again with fresh eyes (not a 2am), but it looks much more muted than it does in the photo.  Enough so that my wife (who is the real artist in my family) actually liked it.  Just not what I was going for, tho.

Yeah, the 1 1/2 to 3 years old is great fun.  They are like intelligent pets at this age.  Plus, only with my baby son, at no other point in my life, has anyone thought I was as cool and fun as he does.  Granted, it will be a short period before he figures out I'm not that cool so I'm just enjoying every moment.  haha

Appreciate it hipsu. On my lunch break today I ended up picking up some hobby store paints. Going to water them down some when applying to maybe not have them look so thick. I also ordered some citadel nuln oil. That sounds like a can't miss step from everyone. First time but I'll show everyone my pictures in a couple weeks

Finally, I found painting the 9 Stormtroopers waaaay more fiddly and time consuming than I thought it'd be, almost daunting. The Probe Droids (episode 2) on the other hand were a breeze. Consider starting with them. You need grey primer, some silverish metallic paint, black paint for the lenses, and a black wash. Gloss varnish for the lenses if you want to go that extra mile. They are very quick and satisfying to paint.

Yup, I done the probe droids first and then the royal guard (although I wish I had learned better brush control for these first, my favourite unit and I could have done them a little bit more justice) before handling the Storm Troopers.

Yup, I done the probe droids first and then the royal guard (although I wish I had learned better brush control for these first, my favourite unit and I could have done them a little bit more justice) before handling the Storm Troopers.

I agree as well. In any case, get a few under your belt before trying the trandoshans. They can be tricky but also extremely rewarding. :)

Phew!  All done.. this fella needs no introduction :)

Crikey. That is absolutely gorgeous work man. The depth of the greens and reds in particular.

Thanks Ibsh! I tried to keep the colours slightly muted and really worked hard to try to get the right shade of green for the armour so glad you like it :)

Ooh, I wasn't expecting this episode to come out so quickly. I've still barely had time to paint the base colors on Diala (it usually takes me a week to paint a single figure as I paint one step at a time on various evenings over a week).

But awesome work, as always, Sorastro. The video had very interesting color mixes again. :)

Edited by Elrath

Finally finished Diala. I'm not really happy with all the aspects of the figure. The skin came as a bit too dark perhaps and the lightsaber...I don't know where the black  pigment came on the paint, whether it was in the palette (the cup the glaze was in, had had a dark wash 3 days earlier so it should have dried). But the figure looks ok for tabletop.

From front

diala_front.jpg

And from behind

diala_back.jpg

Still, it's far better than anything I would have come up on my own. Also a tip for anyone using Skink Blue instead of Baharroth Blue. Mix in a patch you can use for all the mixing you're going to need. Also, because you've added water to the dry paint, the pigmentation amount is probably not going to be the same as in Baharroth Blue so you may need to mix in more of the paint than the ratios given in the video to get the same result. In Sorastro's videos, there are very nice shots of his palette and what the mixed paint looks on paper. I found it helpful to pause the video there and check that my paint looks about the same before continuing.

Next in line (because it's raining and there's a storm, I can't go outside to prime Boba Fett), Sand People. Testing some base colors.The outer robe is done with Zandri Dust+Ushabti Bone mix though it looks like pure Zandri Dust in the picture. For highlighting I was thinking about using pure Ushabti Bone. The gloves might be too dark. The pictures of tusken raiders differ quite a bit. I'd greatly appreciate any advice on the colors.

sandpeople_base.jpg

Also a tip for anyone using Skink Blue instead of Baharroth Blue. Mix in a patch you can use for all the mixing you're going to need. Also, because you've added water to the dry paint, the pigmentation amount is probably not going to be the same as in Baharroth Blue so you may need to mix in more of the paint than the ratios given in the video to get the same result.

I've liquefied some dry paints and you get slightly better paint out of it by thinning it with medium instead of water... But nothing terribly opaque in any case. I wish I had some actual Edge paints to compare their consistencies.

Your Diala looks great.

Edited by Hipsu

Just watched the Boba video and it's fantastic!

These videos have really helped me up my painting skill. I don't have any where near the brush control or color sense to select color combinations, but I'm satisfied with my progress so far.

I actually painted my Boba mini before the video came out, and it's my best mini yet.

Thanks Sorastro!