I think either colour choice would work. I'm not experienced or confident enough to try serious painting without Sorastro. However if I was forced to I'd probably paint the gloves with the following:

Mournfang Brown -> Agarax Earthshade -> Mournfang Brown -> Skraag Brown

I compared the color to Diala's cloak and after a little more self-debate I ended up going with just pure Mournfang brown. Here's how Biv looks with just most of the base colors and some highlight tests on the skin:

biv_basecolors_labels.jpg

Also, thanks for the highlighting tip. :)

Looks like a pretty great start Elrath! I look forward to seeing how he finishes up for you!

Well, here's Biv finished. All the techniques I used were pretty much covered in Sorastro's videos. Scarf was done with the same method as the Trandoshan skin (only I applied pure Ogryn Camo to the edge after wash), armor the same way as stormtrooper armor, brown belt etc. like the various figures (including Trandoshans), hair rougly the same way as Jyn...

biv_front.jpg

biv_back.jpg

So, thanks for the lessons once more, Sorastro. There's my attempt to apply them to a new figure. :)

Slowly cathing up with the video's after taking a break from painting the IA mini's. Working on the trandoshans at the moment. Am I the only one finding them challenging to paint?!?!? Basecoating took me ages. Especially the belt and backpack straps are somewhat difficult to reach, causing unwanted clean-up work. I also don't like their right shoulders; I really had difficulty to decide the borders for the white and main clothing colour... Ah well, starting the highlights this evening.   

Slowly cathing up with the video's after taking a break from painting the IA mini's. Working on the trandoshans at the moment. Am I the only one finding them challenging to paint?!?!? Basecoating took me ages. Especially the belt and backpack straps are somewhat difficult to reach, causing unwanted clean-up work. I also don't like their right shoulders; I really had difficulty to decide the borders for the white and main clothing colour... Ah well, starting the highlights this evening.   

I found them challenging to paint mostly because they're hunched over their gun and reaching to paint that and the hand holding it was difficult. I didn't really find the other parts of it as difficult. Same deal with Biv and to some degree, the Heavy Stormtroopers. Their hands and weapon are in the way. Still, the trandoshans were the most challenging in my opinion.

I took a photo today of my painting skill progress. I just put a link as the picture is 2000px wide.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/sfhaven/kraasaa/stormtrooper-history.jpg

On the left, the black bordered stormtrooper is the figure I painted in February after watching Sorastro's first two Imperial Assault painting tutorials. It's also the first figure I've ever painted. The red stormtrooper next to it, is the last stormtrooper I've painted. And then next to it, the two Heavy Stormtroopers I did today. And no more troopers left! Hooray! I can paint in colors again. Also, weird how the camera shows the red glaze on the heavy stormtrooper's gun as brownish.

So, everyone, while waiting for more videos, care to share your painting progress? :) The first (Imperial Assault) figure you ever painted and the latest one in same picture. I think it would be fascinating to see the progress and increasing skill. 

Edited by Elrath

It hurts me physically to see this thread in the 2nd page. Bump.

28193281195_4d168dffc1_c.jpg

The crates are "Tech Crates #1" set from Micro Art Studios (but they don't currently have it listed for some reason). Edit: they have Large versions, don't get those, they are too big.)

The base IG-88 is standing on belongs to the 25mm "Scrap Yard" set from Secret Weapon Miniatures.

Edited by Hipsu

Brilliant work Hipsu!  

I've got a large-and-still-growing collection of the Microart bases, including a nice range of fantasy-themed ones (including the "temple ruins") which I've ear-marked for the Descent minis.

Anyway, I've just finished filming Ep.14 and should just about be able to get it finished by the end of the month (next Wednesday).  I'll try to get a (n accurate!) paint list up by the weekend.

Obligatory teaser shot coming up.. 

21013994673_8d373ece65_b.jpg

Happy painting!

Brilliant work Hipsu!  

I've got a large-and-still-growing collection of the Microart bases, including a nice range of fantasy-themed ones (including the "temple ruins") which I've ear-marked for the Descent minis.

Anyway, I've just finished filming Ep.14 and should just about be able to get it finished by the end of the month (next Wednesday).  I'll try to get a (n accurate!) paint list up by the weekend.

Happy painting!

You glorious blurry posting bastard! I wants to see him so badly

Brilliant work Hipsu!  

Happy painting!

O man cannawait!!

:'(

Boba is good, but would not it be more logical to make in order, and finish the heroes of the basic box ?

If France, only the corebox is in store, so, i would have preferred to finish heroes :)

:'(

Boba is good, but would not it be more logical to make in order, and finish the heroes of the basic box ?

If France, only the corebox is in store, so, i would have preferred to finish heroes :)

The figures are done in order of votes by the Patreons.  Boba Fett was never going to lose a vote...