Wow TheRedSon they do look pretty stunning on the Litko bases! Thanks for sharing.. It's too late for me to go down that route as I've already started down the scenic path, but I'm sure others may well be inspired to give it a try!

Thank you. I wouldn't have tried these except I (A) saw the zombies you put on their bases, (B) couldn't figure out how to paint the Nexus' bellies and © saw your paper clip-support in the Jyn video all within a day or two and decided it could work. I had avoided rebasing any of them before because I didn't trust glue to hold the model in place on it's own. The paper clip method gives them a lot of support though. Deciding to cut the Nexu off their bases was a load off anyway as I could freely get to their undersides. I went back and rebased all of the Trandoshans while washes were drying on the Nexus (what is the plural of Nexu anyway?). Gaarkhan and Chewy will go on one as soon as they come off of their corks too. It doesn't take much longer for me to drill, glue and mount them than it does to get a base painted well anyway.

I'm not sure how much fun it will be to separate the E-Web and AT-ST models from their bases, but Litko does make a 25x50 mm base and a 50x75 mm.

The other thing I haven't decided is how to differentiate the regular ST's, officers and droids from one another. My Trandoshans have four different colored jump suits, so I just put them all on unmarked clear bases. I bought some different colored bases to try on elites that I like the look of also. Last night I tried priming the sides of a clear base and painting it black... I thought it was going to work after two coats of primer. There was still a spot that it didn't stick to or reach and it simply wouldn't hold my paint there later. Also, when I pulled the tape off a lot of the black came right off of the base in the process. Next try maybe just a strip of paint on the side instead of the whole side (or one across the middle top maybe where it might be handled less) or simply purchase another color of bases from Litko. I like the colors they offer, but I'm not sure a colored base doesn't kind of defeat the purpose...

The paintjobs are great, and the clear bases look awesome.  I'm not going down that route with mine because I'm too concerned I'd break something!

These are mine:  https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/185202-painted-minis-by-a-first-time-cheap-painter/

Thanks. I'm glad you like them. I was pretty happy with my Nexus until I got back on here and looked at some others. Now I think their stripes look more like a raccoon's tail than a tiger's leg.

As far as breaking something... So far the only thing I've had trouble with is slicing off a bit of someone's foot while removing them. Drilling and gluing has been fairly easy (although I did smear a little glue on Jyn's stand apparently that I am afraid to scrape off because a scratch on that base really shows up).

Okay, I'm convinced I want to rebase with clear bases but I have a few questions.

1. What size paper clips are you using?

2. What width bases are the same as the IA mini's, 1.5mm?

3. Why am I spending so much money on this game?

4. Did you see that BB-8 toy? Holy crap that thing is awesome!

... Sorry, my mind wanders, answers to 1 and 2 would be appreciated

Okay, I'm convinced I want to rebase with clear bases but I have a few questions.

Not sure on the paper clips... So far I've just used the ones that have been taking up drawer space in my desk. I just bought some "jumbo" recycled ones a couple days ago that are about 1.5 inches long. The longer ones work well for me because the curved part of the wire is difficult to straighten enough for easy mounting. I like a cm or so of straight wire to work with.

No, the IA bases are at least 2.5 mm. My bases in the above pictures are 3 mm. They are slightly thicker than IA bases.

3 mm seems good to me for a game piece. I think thinner would look great on a show piece, but not sure I'd want to play with the kids with it.

I've spent over MSRP twice on it now I think. Once in paint alone.

I just reread your initial question on the clear bases... A 1.5 mm base would save you at least 1 mm vertically inside your storage solution over the IA base. The 3 mm bases I used will take just slightly more than the IA bases. If you purchase the 1.5 mm bases let me know how that turns out.

firstly, sorastro. I think what you are doing is fantastic, my girlfriend however hates you with a passion haha. Please keep up the work, it is very enjoyable to watch and follow

with regards to the applied perspective bases, what are the notched bases for??? 

Not sure if the Applied Perspective alternatives (1.5mm) have been linked yet:

http://www.appliedperspective.com/acrylic/product/imperial-assault-clear-base-pack/

They look awesome.  I just don't have the guts to cut miniatures off their bases and drill holes into them, especially the probe droids.  And why are the notched circles 'leader' bases.  Seems like those notches would be better for differentiating the members of one deployment group than denoting a leader.

Edited by tomkat364

I'm not sure I can provide "goodies" exactly, but painted somethings, certainly.  

I used to paint miniatures many years ago, when I was about fourteen, but I really had no idea what I was doing.  Drybrushing was like an exotic technique to me.  So basically, when I started painting these Imperial Assault miniatures, I was starting as a complete novice.  Painting the miniatures was the main reason I bought the game though, because as inept as I was, I really enjoyed painting.  Finding the Sorastro guides was a stroke of luck for me, as they were aimed at novices, and yet introduced more advanced techniques.  Also, as we all know, they're just fantastic guides.  I've watched a lot of videos since starting painting, and there are a lot of good ones out there, but Sorastro's remain the best.

anyway, my attempts:

Stormtroopers

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

These don't look amazing, but for a first attempt I was pleased.  I didn't do a good job of getting rid of the flash (a theme throughout my painting history that continues to this day) and the detail is very scruffy.  However, things like the use of gloss varnish is such a good idea even my scrappy efforts look okay.

Probe Droids

IMAG0066.jpg

E-Web Engineers

IMAG0062.jpg

Royal Guard

IMAG0190.jpg

Imperial Officers

IMAG0182.jpg

AT-ST

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

I'm pleased with how this came out.

Chewbacca

DSC_7193.jpg

DSC_7191.jpg

DSC_7190.jpg

Again, I'm pleased with this one.  I had to do Chewie justice, and fortunately, I fluked it!

IG-88

DSC_7197.jpg

Apologies for the huge multiple posts.  The forum wouldn't allow me to post them all in one post, or even two!  Looking at them all here, I think you can see some improvement from the Stormtroopers to the later ones.  More importantly, I've really enjoyed painting these minis, to the point that I'm pretty much hooked.  I've painted a bunch of minis, Games Workshop, Infinity, Malefaux and others, and I have even more sitting waiting to be painted.  I also managed to give my wife a really nice birthday present when I painted a couple of Lord of the Rings eagles for her.

Edited by feltmonkey

Hi Feltmonkey!

What an outstanding set of work! It pleases me no end to see painters of all levels of skill and experience getting something out of the videos and sharing their work and their enthusiasm for the hobby. Thanks so much for sharing.

And wow - Chewie's eyes!

Edited by Sorastro

Those figures look awesome feltmonkey. I particularly like Darth Vader. You've done an excellent work with the lightsaber. I'm also a bit envious how clean white you can paint. My white always looks too bright, uneven and/or really patchy.

Thanks, guys!

Sorastro - thanks for the videos, I commented on your YouTube channel (under a different name) that they have made me a better painter, and I think you can see the truth in that from these pics. I still have a long way to go to get to the quality of your work and a lot of the work in this thread, but I've made a start. Thanks for the comment on Chewie's eyes - I'm pleased with how he came out. As I say, I think they were a bit of a fluke!

Muz - thanks for the comment. Again, I give credit to the guides. I need to get better at doing my own thing as well, which I've been trying to do with some Blood Bowl figures.

Elrath - Thanks! I think the pure whites must have been either another fluke, or just slightly over-exposed photos. :D

Grabbed my paints this afternoon then primed and painted Diala.  I'm not overly happy with how it turned out but perhaps I'll be happier when she is on the tabletop and I'm not obsessing over all the mistakes up close.

2mq5cw5.jpg

2lsg0p4.jpg

I'll need to clean up the white portion of the lightsabre as it has the rough spray paint showing.  I'll also make an attempt at cleaning up the blue glaze on the arms which is a bit too prominent.  I think it pooled quite badly.

Edited by Muz333

Looks very, very nice Muz333. The lightsaber does give the glow effect to the cloak/robe which really helps sell the figure.

I hope to start on Diala soon, got all the paints bought though I have to make the lightsaber paint from Skink Blue. Atm I'm working on Biv since it's the only hero in our current campaign that's not painted and Biv's player asked me to fix that. :)

Anyway, I need some advice for the glove as I'm debating with myself what color to use. The glove in his left hand: would you use just Mournfang Brown on the glove or the same red+brown mix as with Diala's cloak?

Biv's card art:

swi10_bivbodhrik.png

I think either colour choice would work. I'm not experienced or confident enough to try serious painting without Sorastro. However if I was forced to I'd probably paint the gloves with the following:

Mournfang Brown -> Agarax Earthshade -> Mournfang Brown -> Skraag Brown

Edited by Muz333

One heroes by month ? :'(

it will quickly be exceeded with the expansion list coming

With the way Patreon is going I think we'll start to see more videos.  I think Sorastro is aiming for two per month at present.  Might not be too long until we see Boba Fett!