So, I'm thinking the Nexu video will get released tomorrow night.  I think Sorastro's videos are usually a Saturday night.

Sorry Muzz but only one of the previous videos appeared on a Saturday!  Episode 9 is coming along well though;  I'm getting through the editing at a fair pace but it's still a few days away from completion.  I'd love to be able to get it out by Monday as I'm keen to get started on the heroes :)

Ah, my memory has failed me. I remember Darth Vader was on a work night for me. However I work Monday to Friday and most weekends so I always get mixed up with the days. :P

So, I'm thinking the Nexu video will get released tomorrow night.  I think Sorastro's videos are usually a Saturday night.

Sorry Muzz but only one of the previous videos appeared on a Saturday!  Episode 9 is coming along well though;  I'm getting through the editing at a fair pace but it's still a few days away from completion.  I'd love to be able to get it out by Monday as I'm keen to get started on the heroes :)

I'm anxious for you to get to the heroes too, my rebel players think I'm kicking their tails because I'm inspired by cool looking figures while they're stuck with boring beige blobs.

This was an actual theory proposed to me yesterday

I'm anxious for you to get to the heroes too, my rebel players think I'm kicking their tails because I'm inspired by cool looking figures while they're stuck with boring beige blobs.

Love it :)

Painted figures roll better.  I hope painting the Rebels doesn't ruin my campaign as Imperials!

All you guys keep saying rebels, but you mean Alliance, right? ;)

Yes. When the Imperial Assault rule books, the characters in the movies (and us) say "rebels" we are talking about the rebel alliance.

I just re-read this and realize I come off sounding a bit snarky!  I didn't mean to; I was just a bit confused by your question (that'll teach me to drink and type!  :P )

Haha, not to worry! I did stir the pot a bit there, but all in good fun!

Sidenote, I saw the ep 7 trailer in all its 3d glory last night in front of ultron. Looks so good I can barely contain myself! If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and check it out!

Whoa! I just saw your pic of the nexu on twitter! It looks AMAZING!!!

Thanks mate!  It's not much more than a teaser really as you can hardly see it (and the filter I used has messed with the colors) but I'm in the final hours of editing Episode 9 and won't be going to bed until it's finished :)

Whoa! I just saw your pic of the nexu on twitter! It looks AMAZING!!!

Thanks mate!  It's not much more than a teaser really as you can hardly see it (and the filter I used has messed with the colors) but I'm in the final hours of editing Episode 9 and won't be going to bed until it's finished :)

I won't be able to paint it until Wednesday.  Looking forward to it, that twitter photo does look superb.  It's hard to think but you may even finish the heroes before Wave II!

Thank you Sorastro for putting alot of efford in these videos, they are alot of help, both to inspire and learning techniques.

I was wondering if you had any tips for when u prime? :) (Or u other guys)

I always seem to under-prime certain areas - but in your vids yours are perfect. Do u manually paint spots after the primeing where it needs more, or am I just not doing it right :P 

Just watched your upload on the nexu, Sorastro.

Wow. Just wow. So good man.

Thanks Jerbiwan - very glad you like it :)

Thank you Sorastro for putting alot of efford in these videos, they are alot of help, both to inspire and learning techniques.

I was wondering if you had any tips for when u prime? :) (Or u other guys)

I always seem to under-prime certain areas - but in your vids yours are perfect. Do u manually paint spots after the primeing where it needs more, or am I just not doing it right :P

Thanks Jensen!

Regarding the priming, I sometimes get good clean coverage but sometimes have to give individual figures a blast from all angles (getting my fingers covered in the process!). I also sometimes find odd bits that didn't quite get covered properly and - yes - I'll touch them up with some Ceramite White manually. So I wouldn't worry about it - it's better to slightly under spray than to over spray!

I'm super curious on what order you'll do the heroes, I assume each will get their own episode.

My bet is we do the Jedi first because she seems popular. I bet Luke is last.

I reckon the soldier will be first or the wookie.  The wookie would be a relatively easy video to make after the nexu as it would follow the same techniques.  However I also think the soldier guy follows on nicely from the Trandoshans.  Of course, Sorastro is likely to do it in the complete oppisite order I anticipate.   :P

Edit:

And having watched the odd Games Workshop painting tutorial I just know I'm going to buy some Blood For The Blood God technical paint and splatter that wookie.  I won't be happy until it looks like the wookie just emerged from a massacre.

Edited by Muz333

Is it just me or are the techniques really ramping up as we go?

I love how each new tutorial teaches something new. Keeps the challenge fresh.

Yeah, always something new. I may be competent by the time I'm done with this stuff...

Yeah, always something new. I may be competent by the time I'm done with this stuff...

I should hope so. If you're a new painter, you may not realize it, but the IA box covers a pretty substantial breadth of subjects.

Stormtroopers: big areas of smooth white.

Vader: all black, including large smooth areas and a massive flowing cape.

Royal Guard: massive areas of red, again in huge flowing cloth.

Right there, that is probably the three most difficult colors to paint well, because they need special attention with highlighting and shading. Not to mention that the troopers are white on black, which would have been positively nightmarish in the years before the modern high-pigment base/foundation type paints.

In addition to flowing cloth folds and rigid armor plate, there is rough reptilian skin; heavy fur; metals; large, flat, vehicular plates; transparent/reflective lenses; a glowing light source; and human flesh, including - presumably - multiple skin tones.

And of course the skills of preparing a figure, priming, basecoating, and techniques like highlighting, washing, and drybrushing.

In short, yes. I think if you can make it through that, you should be ready to tackle other things on your own.

No more training do you require. Already know you, that which you need.

- H8

As I'm totally new to painting and just following these tutorial videos I'm actually excited for the Storm Trooper, Heavy Storm Trooper and Storm Trooper Commander coming out.

The reason being I already think if I was to redo my Storm Troopers they'd look all the better for it. In fact, if I could repeat most of my minis they'd look better.

After this video series I'll need to tackle some minis from another game to see if I can come up with my own colour schemes. I suspect that will be the hardest part.