Sign in to follow this  
Hida77

FFG - Can you please provide the Skirmish maps as images?

Something will be done.

The rules say you have to build a skirmish deck out of every skirmish mission you have, that is unenforceable and if I only buy expansions I will have the cards but not the tiles.

Playmats are the way of the future. I think the x wing mats were the first ffg made to be sold but they've been used as lcg prizes for years.

I don't know what exactly they will do, but FFG has got to do something different for tournaments. Here is what I would like to see them do, regarding tournaments:

1. Every sanctioned tournament uses a selection of two to four maps, each with two missions fitting the map, instead of the full available pool. What map and scenario you use in each match is determined randomly from among that smaller pool.

2. Those maps are provided as paper poster maps to greatly speed up setup.

3. If they really want to push sanctioned play, include at least one new map with a pair of new scenarios each tournament season, and players in the tournament can get a sheet like in the ally/villain packs showing how to set up that map, as well as mission cards for the scenarios.

This would make tournament play faster and easier, and it would mean new content, rather than just alternate-art deployment cards.

I've created missions using my star wars minis maps... pretty easy to do really. I set up terminals on the map and then made appropriate mission specific objectives... it has worked well and I'm looking to make mission cards for them.

I've also started using star wars minis and knights models minis for 3d maps. For example on my endor map there are two obstruction areas that show speeder bikes so I used my knights models speeders for 3d representations, and parked a couple more of my star wars minis speeders in the "speeder shed" area on the map. I placed 3d trees on the impassable tree squares. I used a modified dust tactics building for the shield generator building with the maps tubolift taking an action to bring you to the second level which will contain terminals down each hallway. Since imperials deploy inside the bunker they can easily send 2 guys upstairs to claim the 2 terminals but those figures will be useless for everything else or to help keep rebels out of the shield generator room. Since those 2 terminals are pretty much imperial terminals, I placed 3 terminals outside with 2 being on the outsides away from the bunker entrance forcing the same tough decision from the rebel player, especially if imps field an AT-ST which would deploy outside behind the bunker (which is technically the front as the rebels attacked the "back door")

I plan similar treatments for all my old paper maps.

Edited by Stromboli

Originally, I didn't see the big deal.  But I have to admit...  I see a lot of potential here.

• It will save up to 10 minutes every round for setup in a tournament.
  • It provides FFG with a great opportunity to offer prize support in the form of premium (double-sided?) playmat maps for players.
  • IT WILL REDUCE WEAR / TEAR ON TILES (because Skirmish tournaments is where you're going to see the majority of setup / tear down)

+1

I printed them out and put them on foamcore board, and they look great.

What size of board is required for each map - > how long and wide are the maps at their widest/longest point?

The images are 17x22, so basically two 11x17 sheets.

Kinko's can just print them as is for you right to their proper size, but they charge like $8 a foot, and I wasn't about that life.

I split each map into multiple images (3 images for Tatooine Outskirts, 2 images for the others) then printed each image on 11x17 paper. Then I used rubber cement to mount them to foam core board.

What size of board is required for each map - > how long and wide are the maps at their widest/longest point?

The images are 17x22, so basically two 11x17 sheets.

Kinko's can just print them as is for you right to their proper size, but they charge like $8 a foot, and I wasn't about that life.

I split each map into multiple images (3 images for Tatooine Outskirts, 2 images for the others) then printed each image on 11x17 paper. Then I used rubber cement to mount them to foam core board.

Thanks for the images/tips.  I think I'll do the same =)

Originally, I didn't see the big deal.  But I have to admit...  I see a lot of potential here.

• It will save up to 10 minutes every round for setup in a tournament.
  • It provides FFG with a great opportunity to offer prize support in the form of premium (double-sided?) playmat maps for players.
  • IT WILL REDUCE WEAR / TEAR ON TILES (because Skirmish tournaments is where you're going to see the majority of setup / tear down)

+1

So...

Just finished my first OP event yesterday and I have to reiterate this.  Printed maps will really help.  A fun note in the official tournament rules is that the person with initiative (read: guaranteed to be theperson with the lower point total) is responsible for using their tiles to build the map.  That means that if you are rocking a 38 pt build, expect to be the only person building / tearing down maps at your event.  Not fair, IMO.

I don't think the overall cost to FFG will be unbearable to include paper / poster stock maps for tournament use and I still think the idea of professionally printer cloth / foam or vinyl maps might be a really great idea.

I agree something should be done to decrease set up time for tournament play however I prefer not to use paper maps. I have a few reasons for this, first I am afraid that paper is too light and if knocked could end up knocking the figures out of place causing a logistical nightmare of trying to figure out what figure went in which tile. Secondly I think that the paper maps look cheap (just my opinion of course) and the sole purpose of OP is to promote sales of FFG products which will also benefit the players by having a healthy meta game. If people see a tournament of IA at the store using paper maps and then see the price tag of the core set they might be understandably put off. Lastly, I just don't think it is necessary as there are a number of different solutions to alleviate set up time. One would be to have a single map with up to six different scenarios on the map even changing deployment zones. Another idea I had would be to have multiple maps made from the same set of tiles; you may have to rearrange the tiles but at least you don't have to go searching through your box for specific ones (I'm not sure how viable that is though). 

We'll see what FFG does next weekend when it takes 10-15 minutes to complete each rounds map!

I am hoping it will be a wake-up call.  =)  I would really like to see them adjust this before Regional Season.

We'll see what FFG does next weekend when it takes 10-15 minutes to complete each rounds map!

Not for me will take 2-3 mins then 1-2 mins with my figures lol. Could be 1 min if I bought my top loaders.

Edited by Jonnyb815

News from the GAMA trade show is that FFG will start making playmats for more of their games. X-wing mats are available now and netrunner mats will be available next month. Netrunner have had mats before as prizes but this is the first time they will sold by FFG.

Just mentioning it here as its the best hint we've had so far that IA maps might be released.

News from the GAMA trade show is that FFG will start making playmats for more of their games. X-wing mats are available now and netrunner mats will be available next month. Netrunner have had mats before as prizes but this is the first time they will sold by FFG.

Just mentioning it here as its the best hint we've had so far that IA maps might be released.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

I've already scanned the current Skirmish Maps, and they're available for download. PM me for links.

What is the most cost effective way of printing these? Kinko's estimated about $300 would be spent for the 10 Maps.

Also do you find it easy to transport those boards around?  (Would rolling it up in a poster work?)