Sign in to follow this  
Acronym

Thoughts on 'Under the Skin'

I've just finished reading my copy of Zombie Apocalypse cover-to-cover, and really enjoyed the diversity in the scenarios - I wasn't expecting such a variety!

I have to admit I was a bit gutted when I first heard this series announced that there was no 'nuclear apocalypse' book, as I'd love to play a P&P RPG along the theme of the Fallout games. So it was great to finally get to the post-apocalypse scenario for 'Under the Skin' and see that they'd manage to wrangle it in all the same!

It did make me think, though, that'd it'd be almost impossible to play a proper nuclear fallout style post-apocalypse game in the way this series intends, as it will inevitably be several generations of Vault-dwelling after the initial apocalypse that you'd be able to venture out onto the surface again, and by that point it'd be stretching the idea of 'playing yourself' a bit thin, several hundred years later! However - is anyone planning on playing this kind of scenario - one where humanity emerges from its bunkers generations later to a twisted & mutated pastiche of their former world?

For what it's worth, too, the NPCs in 'Under the Skin' seem to pretty definitively answer a previous ambiguity that lots of people (myself included) seemed to be thrown by initially: the 'Infested Fragment' NPC has the feature 'Small':

Each of an infested fragment's stress tracks only has one tier of three boxes. Once all three of these boxes are filled, the infested fragment dies.

And, conversely, the Horrifying Abomination has 'Massive':

Each of a horrifying abomination's stress tracks has five tiers of three boxes each. Once all fifteen of these boxes are filled, the horrifying abomination dies.

So, I guess the default for all other NPCs is three tiers of three boxes for each stress track (physical, mental, social - although maybe not the latter two for zombies/-Mindless creatures). Of course, I realise it's open to whatever the GM decides - I haven't run a game yet, but I can imagine that there are times when it just makes sense to let a monster only have one tier of three boxes even if it isn't 'small' to keep the pace going.

Under the Skin makes sense to have the 3 full sets of stress tiers as they are a lot tougher to kill and a head shot would not take them out.

As for a post nuke game... Take into consideration that within 3-4 weeks to somewhere around a year, every nuclear reactor around the world would be emitting a significant amount a radiation and falling out. Spent fuel rods not being cooled and reactors over loading. It's your game so you could have a catastrophic series of events that lead to a nuclear winter etc... Hell you could have your players play themselves 100 years in the future.

You could also have last ditched efforts from the remaining governments nuking major cities in a effort to reduce the hordes numbers or even religious zealots stumble up "the big red button" and take it as a sign from on high...

edit: grammer

Edited by rg56538

My biggest concern about "Under the Skin" is the All is One ability that infested creatures have. It only takes 10 to form a Horrifying Abomination? This is the most deadly scenario by far out of those in the book.

Just because they can hook up doesn't mean they should. It should be done when it is narratively appropriate. Rather than running ghis game with players as their characters I am going to do a one shot. Have all the plyers play characters on an oil platform that pulls up the sludge that is "under the skin". Then I'll see if they can get off the platform. Mind you if they do escape that may just allow the sludge to escape too. The platform will have a limited amount of people and yhe players can take over other characters as they lose theirs. The abomination would make a good climax. How they deal with the situation will decide if we continue with that scenario.

If you have 10 in an area mouthy, why would they NOT hook up? I had probably 2 or 3 Horrifying Abominations chasing my group when I ran they game, and they did the pertinent thing and ran...