Sign in to follow this  
gamblertuba

X-wing in Alliance and what's missing.

wasn't there some mathwinger who calculated that X-wings would have a great jousting value with just 1 more hull?

(and that Biggs would probably be even more hilarious, perhaps to the point of absurdity)

Makes sense to me. Never understood why head-hunters are only 1 hull less than their successor.

This is the major reason that I would not want some sort of defensive upgrade.  If Biggs were not a thing, I would absolutely LOVE a title that simply decreases a modification cost by 2.  

Imo, Biggs is a good thing

He shafts turrets. That is never a bad thing :)

Imagine Biggs with autothrusters...

I'll take four

I would say the biggest problem is the 2 agility dice failing so often. Where the Y-wing and B-wing have only one but are counted on lasting longer because of their higher total hit points, and the A-wing has the high agility and evade option to prevent damage, the X-wing is instead supposed to rely on shield and hull regenerating astromechs. Of those Astromechs, only one can guarantee you will regenerate (R2-D2) at the possible cost of poor positioning. R2-F2 is still garbage after Enhanced Interface dropped (as is R5-D8).

I would instead support the addition of the evade action through the use of a Title Card. Since something as large as a Firespray can evade (and the Falcon for that matter) then why can't the X-wing? All X-wing builds have 4 or fewer X-wings in them and yet the reliance on the dice alone for their defense ensures that they can be destroyed one at a time almost every round by practically every build. X-wings in particular usually get gunned down first by squads because their 3 attack is a threat and their 2 agility and 5 total hp mean it is easy to kill, especially pilots flying as a lower PS. The Rogues were not only known for tackling the impossible missions but also for surviving them.

What about spending shield tokens? That is what I remember from the games, I could manage my power, so spend a shield token, get something nice, like a focus. Powerful, but not unbalanced and good for offense or defense, and really good with R2. Make it a free action and I bet we see torps get used more.

I posted this on the X-Wing subreddit, but I figured its worth posting here as well for consideration:

Ever since wave 5 (and honestly wave 4), I've felt like of all the Rebel ships, the X-Wing has been the most in need of a buff; granted, not a STRONG buff, since like the TIE Advanced, it has at least one pilot worth their point cost (actually, a fair few!), but it pales in a brawl featuring both turreted ships that can outlast it and crazy arc-dodgers that can efficiently outflank it (the TIE Advanced, for all of its current weakness, can at least keep up in a maneuvering contest thanks to its barrel rolls and Vader's action economy.)

Previously, I've suggested new pilots with conditional action or attack economy, or astromechs that help solidify already solid ships, but I don't think that helps two of the core weaknesses of the X-Wing. First, the cheaper versions of the ship lack point efficiency, and are outclassed in swarmability by the Z-95 and in staying power by the B-wing. Second, the more expensive X-Wings are made or broken by their pilot abilities since they cannot natively arc dodge or readily mitigate damage; Biggs is probably the best X-Wing in the game at pilot skill 5 because you don't need to load him with upgrades to make him effective. Same with Janson at PS8.

The latest FFG article got me thinking: X-Wing core devs Alex and Frank stated the following regarding faction identity for the Rebels:

"In X-Wing, the Rebel Alliance focuses on teamwork and defense, and it features a high ratio of shielded ships and synergistic pilot abilities."

In keeping with the teamwork theme, I figured that one path of improvement for the X-Wing circles around one of the classic narrative arcs used and re-used throughout the films and in Legends canon; the relationship between the pilot and his/her astromech. The iconic backseater helps a novice/trainee pilot survive their first missions, and makes a seasoned pilot even deadlier at their craft.

Here's my proposition:

-----

Advanced Datalink (Modification, cost 0; OR 1 if deemed too efficient)

X-Wing Only

If you equip an "astromech" with cost 1 or 2, your action bar gains the "evade" action icon. (droid helping pilot with danger awareness)

If you equip an "astromech" with cost 3 or more, your action bar gains the "boost" action icon. ("Artoo, try and increase the power!")

-----

In practice, the X-Wing was an exceptional ship, but it was quite weak when flown without an astromech. In this game, the player should be encouraged to fit astromechs to their X-Wings; doing so gives them a capability that helps them stand out from the Z-95 and the B-Wing as a viable option; cheap builds with astromechs mitigate damage better than the Z-95, while all builds with nice astromechs manage arcs better than the B-Wing thanks to the boost!

Some more astromechs that could come with it:

-----

R3-8D1 "Buddy" (Astromech, cost 2)

Unique

Once per round, when attacking or defending, you may reroll one of your blank results. You cannot equip this card if your pilot skill if 5 or greater.

Generic/Tarn pilot skill only astromech for X-Wings, Y-Wings, and E-Wings, designed to help out the low PS generics in tight situations! Nerf valve: only for attacks / only for defense. Buff valve: remove the "once per turn restriction". Low cost important.

-----

R6 Astromech (Astromech, cost 2; alternatively 3)

Once per round, after you perform an action, another friendly ship at range 1 may perform a free action. Then, you receive one stress token.

You cannot equip this upgrade if your pilot skill is 3 or less.

The idea here is that this droid helps an experienced pilot maintain situational awareness with his/her wingmate/squadron, and manages enough of the ship's systems that the pilot can focus on communicating with their squadmates.

A Rebel only variant of Push the Limit, an upgrade which X-Wings can rarely efficiently field, this droid definitely plays into the stated theme of teamwork and synergy in the faction. This also makes four Red Squadron pilots with Adv. Datalink and R6's a competitive squad if they're working together (mass focus/evades or focus/TL's!), which I think is acceptable given the comparative raw power of four PTL Royal Guard Interceptors or four basic StarVipers, as well as the requirement that the X-Wings fly in close pairs and not have the ability to correct arcs post-maneuver.

Alternative costing/limit is cost 3 and PS 6+ only, which rules out the Red Squadron swarm and orients the droid more towards high-end squads.

-----

R5-G8 "Gate" (Astromech, Cost 4)

X-Wing only, Unique

After performing an attack that hits, you may perform a free evade action.

A fourth, final, and X-Wing only version of the damage mitigation/control astromechs; R2-D2 relies on predictable green maneuvers, R5-P9 requires an unspent focus, R5-D8 requires an action and a good die roll, R5-G8 requires attacking and damaging the target, and cannot account for damage already dealt to the craft. An obvious carrier for this droid is Wedge (as his ability improves chances of getting damage through), but many high skill X-Wing pilots can make good use of Gate, especially combined with the advanced Datalink (and the chance for chained actions via Push the Limit).

------

So, what do you all think?

-----Advanced Datalink (Modification, cost 0; OR 1 if deemed too efficient)X-Wing Only

If you equip an "astromech" with cost 1 or 2, your action bar gains the "evade" action icon. (droid helping pilot with danger awareness)

If you equip an "astromech" with cost 3 or more, your action bar gains the "boost" action icon. ("Artoo, try and increase the power!")

-----

I like these suggestions, but one thought I immediately had was that the above modification doesn't have to be restricted to X-Wings. Edited by Lingula

-----Advanced Datalink (Modification, cost 0; OR 1 if deemed too efficient)X-Wing Only

-----

I like these suggestions, but one thought I immediately had was that the above modification doesn't have to be restricted to X-Wings.

If this modification is not X-Wing only, then Corran Horn with R2D2 and PTL gets boost for free, which might be too good? On the other hand, then he has no shield upgrade, so that could be okay.

If enough people in your area feel that the X-Wing sees not enough table time, you could also organise a Rogue Squadron Training Event. Standard tournament with the following restriction: All ships need to be X-Wings. So you'll only see 3/4 X-Wings lists. You could also increase the point limit to 105 points, so you can field five rookies! And with 8 different unique pilots and 2 generics, there's enough room for variance in the lists.

Of course, everyone needs at least 3 X-Wings, but given that one is in the core set, there's a single X-Wing expansion and the transport, that should not be too much of a problem.

If this modification is not X-Wing only, then Corran Horn with R2D2 and PTL gets boost for free, which might be too good? On the other hand, then he has no shield upgrade, so that could be okay.

You're right, I was mistaken about the E-Wing's abilities.

The X-wing has issues.  It cannot evade, it cannot barrel roll, and it cannot boost.  The lack of barrel roll is what really needs to be addressed.  They are far too predictable without another movement action.

I liked one of the forum member's idea about a "gunner lite" type of ability.  Perhaps a new non-unique astromech.  "When attacking, you may roll one less attack die.  If that attack does not hit, you may perform another attack with one less attack die."

Title Card

X-Wing Ace - 1 point

When you perform an attack, you may substitute one Red 'Attack Die' for a Black 'Ace Attack Die'. If you do this receive two Stress Tokens.

The Ace Attack Die is a black dice shipped with the X-Wing Ace expansion and does not have a blank side.

Focus Result: 2 Sides

Critical Hit: 1 Side

Hit: 2 Sides

Double Hit: 1 Side

Got this idea from Star Trek Attack Wing, a dice you may substitute into your attack, however to do so you must double stress yourself. The upside is that so long as you have focus, something good will come of that single dice since there is no blank result.

I think Double Stressing a ship is an effective payment for this. Although if its too much maybe a single stress is efficient, the only downside of that is Hobbie can then spend a target lock to remove the one stress he just gained, same for Porkins.

The X-Wing itself still has a place ahead of the B-Wing, but it's just seems to be missing a bit of excitement. So, as mentioned earlier, I think some new cheap Astromechs would do it. It's easy enough to stop them being used by named pilots (to prevent them escalating them too much) by putting a Pilot Skill upper limit on them.

Hi guys first post here. Just read through this tread and there are some nice ideas floating around.

Been flying a rebel fleet for a few months now and I cant say I have used x-wings too much- they just seem too expensive compare to Bs, As and Z95s. I think this is due to the apparent fragility of only 2 hull.

Looking ahead I FFG will have a very good opportunity to provide some upgrades/fixes to the x wing when the new movie releases this December.  I can see a spot for a MK2 x wing in the new movie style to represent the improvements made to the type over 30 years. This can provide new abilities/gear/Astros/pilots/tiles that could be used with original and new style x-wings.

FFG could even go down the rebel aces/ most wanted route if there are more than one new class of ship or styling upgrade of a classic one. This pack could also inc new characters from the movie as crew/pilots etc. Call it 'legacy of rebellion' or 'new republic' and profit.  

perhaps a cheap astromech that allows for white K-turns, adds a little maneuverability and free ups one if it's 2 actions, another weakness.

or maybe a 1-2 point refit that replaces your torpedoes with a second mech.

Edited by Krewal

What you do a lot of in the X-Wing videogames is replenishing your shields by dumping your laser banks into them. So:

R2-??

Action: skip your attack. Recover 2 shield (up to your shield value).

You could actually do a range of these as shuffling energy around is mandatory in the games.

To represent the boost to speed:

R2-??² 

Action: choose one: skip your next attack or discard one shield token to execute a free boost action using the (2) template.

And finally to exchange shields for lasers, the buddy of Expose:

R2-??³

Action: discard one shield token to increase your primary attack value by two until the end of the round.