Sign in to follow this  
R22

New ship, new objective?

So in X-wing each large base or Aces release comes with a scenario mission. Same with the huge ships. With Armada wouldn't it be neat if each capital ship expansion came with a couple of objectives that it was well suited for? You'd still need a whole fleet and your opponent could still end up choosing a different objective mind you. But I think that would be a neat way of breathing life into the game continually. It would spice up new ships, re-purpose older ones, generally create a great way to get to know new purchases.

Can anybody think of objectives that would go well with a particular type of ship?

I'm sure we could think of some. I also think that they could come up with some awesome objectives to put into different expansions.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit skeptical that they'll do that. I think that the 12 cards included are meant to provide for a relatively balanced set, so that the game becomes as tournament balanced as X-Wing is.

We might get new campaign style missions, like we currently do in X-Wing, but I doubt we will get more tournament legal objective cards (sadly in some ways).

The key reason is balance. If new cards were issued to take advantage of a particular ships abilties, then it means the scenario must be asymetrical, as the opposing player might not have the same ship or one with a similar ability - so that immediately throws off any balance. Then you get issues with only being able to choose a card for your deck, if you take a certain ship along, and the possible argument that players who havent bought the expansion would be disadvantaged if they havent played that particular scenario before (as opposed to the 12 common ones in the core set).

It could be that we might see an objectives expansion in the future though, complete with new obstacles and such to accompany them.

I suppose they could release an objectives pack as part of every other wave. Have it include a number of new objectives. Make it a requirement for tournament play at a certain level. If it was only a couple of quid wouldn't be an issue. If they want to make something more of the pack than just cards, then could include some special tokens or something.

I suppose they could release an objectives pack as part of every other wave. 

Or maybe they'll do something similar to the Aces expansions, and include objectives in those. As has been discussed many times, FFG seem to have a policy of not selling 'card only' expansions for games like this, they always package new cards with new ships.

Id like to point out for balance they could bake the new objectives into the cost of the ship and simply say you cant use these in tournaments without the ship being in your list. Point cost could be very low since its unlikely your opponent would pick it knowing its tailored for your ship and if you have to do the picking you dont have the option. Sure the card wouldn't be an option for those who dont have it, but as long as you pay for it with points out of your list it should be just as kosher as you owning an expansion they dont have.

I'd like to see FFG do a Tournament packet that contains scenarios that can be played in tournament and casual games. Pretty much how Privateer Press does their Steamroller packets. This way, FFG doesn't have to package cards and is able to change them from year to year at no cost and if any scenarios are terrible, they can just change them.

Hi, glad you raised this topic. I would really like to see Armada emulate Star Trek Attack Wing and include a new scenario with every ship pack. I only started playing STAW after SWA and was pleasantly surprised at the scenario contents variety, replayabilty and fun.

Between movies, books, comics, cartoons, roleplay guides and computer games, Star Wars has a galaxy of scenarios to recreate. I would love to see story driven scenarios released (as opposed to very abstract objective mission).

For me it would also help improve the vslue for money of what are expensive models (in my country anyway). 

48 minutes ago, skirmisher said:

Hi, glad you raised this topic. I would really like to see Armada emulate Star Trek Attack Wing and include a new scenario with every ship pack. I only started playing STAW after SWA and was pleasantly surprised at the scenario contents variety, replayabilty and fun.

Between movies, books, comics, cartoons, roleplay guides and computer games, Star Wars has a galaxy of scenarios to recreate. I would love to see story driven scenarios released (as opposed to very abstract objective mission).

For me it would also help improve the vslue for money of what are expensive models (in my country anyway). 

This is an interesting idea I had not considered before. I think catering a set of objectives to each expansion, to be included with that expansion could be a really cool way to add new content. Maybe do a another campaign box to fill in for all the ships that released before they did this? 

May not happen, but I agree it's a neat idea. 

On 2/2/2015 at 12:54 AM, R22 said:

FFG also has their print on demand feature so if they wanted to release new objectives quickly the process is already in place.

You’d think so, but that’s the same procedure they use for their OP prizing, and look at how far behind they are on that...

14 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

You’d think so, but that’s the same procedure they use for their OP prizing, and look at how far behind they are on that...

So true, Store Championship season has already started and no one even knows what the Prize Support in the kits will be.  A few places have cancelled (well, postponed) their events because they were uncomfortable running an event with no kit and didn't want to muck around with players being sent prizes. 

Heck, people are still waiting on prizes from an X-Wing Regional back in Feb I was at, because the store had still not gotten their kit from FFG despite being one of the later Regionals of the season.  I won some prizes at said event but didn't even want to wait in the long line to give my address to maybe someday be sent my stuff, because it just didn't seem worth it.  #NoRegrets.

It took almost 5 Months to receive some of the prize support from Gencon 2017.  Last I heard, the winner of that Armada event was supposed to be able to suggest an upcoming Alt Art card for a future kit and had as of then heard nothing from FFG about it yet (a couple months ago).

Like, jeez, is 75% of FFGOP's budget and time going to mailing out back prizes?????  That would explain why kits have gotten so stingy and underwhelming lately, I guess. 

FFG was the jewel of the gaming industry, beloved by pretty much all the customers and players and reknown for their communication and customer service.  The OP Kits used to overflow with acrylics, despite events having much lower attendance than they do now (esp. X-Wing).  Then they got absorbed by Asmodee NA, and now ... well ... it's not the same place anymore, it seems.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

They should errata/fix the objectives and put them in the tournament regulations. Could even add or cycle objectives every season.

Casual players then can still just use the objective cards and 8 flotillas