Sign in to follow this  
Trialus

HoN/AtS solo deck?

Howdy,

I'm getting ready to head out of town for a week and am planning on taking a deck and (possibly) the HoN/AtS cylce with me.  I haven't played these quests yet (except for Steward's Fear, which I have yet to beat) and I know they have a reputation of being very difficult.  I would like to have a solid chance to get through them with a single deck + sideboard (since bringing my whole collection isn't practical).  

I have heard that they can lend themselves to monosphere and am considering bringing a mono-tactics deck with Eomer/Hama/Mablung that does kind of a leaves play thing with Eagles.

Without expecting anyone to go to the trouble of buiding a complete deck, I am searching for a bit of advice about these quests...Am I just asking for a pounding with mono-tactics?  What kind of deck would have a decent chance against these quests?  Is there a specific sphere that I should focus on?

Thanks for the advice

I just finished playing through this cycle twice solo. I played a Lore/Spirit deck the first time and a Spirit/Tactics Rohan deck the second time.

I'd say the two biggest things I found that were needed were location managment and soild combat. Questing isn't too difficult but there are a few quests (Siege of Cair Andros, Steward's Fear, Encounter at Amon Din, and Assult on Osgiliath) that you will need to clear more then one location each turn Or you will soon be overwhelmed.

There are also enough tough enemies that you will really want some solid combat. The shadow effects can be super nasty too, so you will probably end up chumping alot.

I think you are good playing Tactics and it will cover your combat worries but I'd look at splashing Lore or Spirit for some location management or you will be overwhelmed in a few quests. Lorefindel/Asfolth gives you some amazing control as well as a hero who can attack and heal for you. Riddermark's Finest is a great option for spirit (and if you are already playing eagles, he is a creature that can be played using Radagast).

Hope that helps a bit!

thanks for the advice!  Tried adding spirit by switching Hama for Eowyn, though Peril in Pelargir is kicking my butt...might have to switch to easy mode.  

I thought that the Battle quests would be good for tactics, but it makes the decision of who is questing a little tougher because the ones you need to quest are also the ones you want to save for combat....interesting mechanic.

I've never played Boromir before, but took your advice and started using Tracker1's deck from this thread.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/78636-glorifindel-aragorn-boromir/

With slight modifications for each quest (miner of iron hills for 1st box quest, gondorian shield for the third, etc.) I have found it a very strong deck. Man the action advantage is huge with these guys...wingfoot on loragorn, LOV glorfindel, boromirs ability. Been really fun to play through these great quests! Can't wait forto play the rest of the cycle!