Sign in to follow this  
reynierotero

Eldritch Horror Companion App

I think it would be fantastic if there was an app for Android that allowed us to view the encounter cards instead of using the actual physical cards.  Usually the physical cards are fine but on some tables with many players things get very tight.  An app would free up a lot of space.  I believe Arkham has something similar that is official from FFG but it is only on iOS :(

Spread the love!!

-Rey

There is a fan made Arkham Companion for Android. You can find the creator talking about it here and here.

He's sort of a jerk though and has been spending his time on other projects instead of working on it.

It is open source though. It could be re-purposed as an Eldritch Companion. However the hardest parts were card entry (even though a large part of the text was pulled from the Arkham Horror Wiki) and UI. And you would be stuck with an Android only version.

If I was gonna do an Eldritch Companion I'd probably just scrap it, start over and use Unity3d to make it as that is what I have been using lately. But I have lots of other projects so I won't be getting to it anytime in the near future if at all.

Edited by Fenyx

Woo hoo! I wish you the best Reynier.

Yeah, had the same problem for Arkham and most of the card text was already available to me via Arkham wiki. Just had to be extracted, reformatted, massaged, collated and massaged again.

Wonder if you could fan source it. Post a couple examples of how you need it formatted and ask people here or on boardgame geek or whereever to do some of the entry for you.

P.S. I also apologize for my bad and poorly commented code. Glad it is helping you though!

Edited by Fenyx

That is awesome!!!

Hopefully I can figure out how to make it look nice on phones and not just tablets  :P

Opposite problem than what mine has then. :)

The sheer amount of card text entry is amazin'. Thanks for making this!!

No problem Fenyx.  All I need now is to invoke the Old One of Creativity and make the app look nicer, but at least it does what it sets out to do.  Thank you for your contribution, it was very inspirational :D

just downloaded! I scoured for something like this last a couple of months ago, found Fenyx's arkham horror app and promptly cursed his name for making such a useful app.. for a game I don't own. Now I can rejoice! You sir, got a +1 and five star review on google play

one question. when I "draw a card" and go back to the main screen, later on in the game or if I have to draw multiples, I would tap that card section again. but it keeps giving me the original card i drew, unless I close app fully and restart it again.

Hi Psionics313.  The idea is that when you draw a card and resolve an encounter you should tap on that particular encounter's text when you're done.  That will "discard" the card in to the discard pile and won't come up again.  If you go into the discard pile, which is a button on the screen where you select your encounter type, you'll see all the cards you have discarded.  These cards will have the section that you used highlighted.

If a deck ever runs out of cards then all the cards for that location are removed from the discard pile and shuffled back into a new deck for you.  Try it out and let me know if it is working for you as intended :)

I had been wondering about how the app handled discarding cards (I'd never scrolled down to see the "Discard Button".  Glad to see that they are properly handled.  Also love that when you are looking at the discards you can swipe left/right to go through them.

Will definitely need to give this a try the next time I play the game.

@ricedwlit Glad you're liking it :) you can also scroll the individual decks themselves, though of course that's normally not allowed in the game ;)

But very useful in situations where you draw multiple cards and choose one!! (I honestly can't remember if this actually happens in Eldritch Horror but it happens a lot in Arkham Horror. And I wouldn't put it past 'em to put it in.)

Hi everyone.  I have updated the app with a few tweaks but mostly added a "Save Game" feature.  It's happened to me where the app or the device itself crashes/restarts and you lose your place in the game.  This will avoid that happening from now on :)  Anyone else excited for Strange Remnants?!