Sign in to follow this  
MyNeighbourTrololo

The Dark Tide Approaches

Well, Gimli is indeed a useful addition. Legolas is just meh for solo players. Am I the only one who doesn't like the art on both cards?

Why, he participates in his own attacks as well, doesn't he? Or have i been playing this stuff wrong?

Well, Gimli is indeed a useful addition. Legolas is just meh for solo players. Am I the only one who doesn't like the art on both cards?

Why, he participates in his own attacks as well, doesn't he? Or have i been playing this stuff wrong?

He does, and it's not that he is useless, but 4 resources is way too much for a rather weak ability. It's not that you're goingt o kill that many enemies when you're playing solo.

As a side note, while MV's art on Legolas in both his hero version and on Hands Upon is perfect, his depiction as left-handed does not sit well with me. I think it's quite possible that FFG reverses the images so that they look better in the printed cards (I have no other explanation why so many characters are depicted left-handed), I judge what I see nonetheless.

Sorry, but what indicates that Legolas is portrayed as left-handed on his hero card or Hands Upon the Bow? The fact that he holds the bow in his right? I'm left-handed but I'm a right-handed shot with bows and guns. To me it makes more sense to use your dominant hand to aim. He can probably aim with either hand, though - he's had time to practise.

As far as left-handedness goes in ME in general, 1) genetics don't necessarily work the same way there; on Earth, about 10-15% of the population is left-handed but in Arda it might be significantly higher and 2) left-handed people are known for exceeding in a wide variety of fields (look at basically anything from renowned artists to fencing champions or US presidents) so to me it's not at all inconceivable that a large number of important characters in ME would be left-handed. Théoden is another good example, at least in the films - and they got that right with the action figure as well.

Edited by Olorin93

He does, and it's not that he is useless, but 4 resources is way too much for a rather weak ability. It's not that you're goingt o kill that many enemies when you're playing solo.

Think about it this way.  Gleowine costs 2 and lets you draw a card every turn.  Sure, you can let other people draw, but most people use it on themselves.  Unless you are playing solo, you should be able to trigger Legolas's ability every turn.  So if you deduct the 2 cost from Legolas, you have a guy with 1/3/1/3 stats and ranged for a cost of 2.

Think about it this way.  Gleowine costs 2 and lets you draw a card every turn.  Sure, you can let other people draw, but most people use it on themselves.  Unless you are playing solo, you should be able to trigger Legolas's ability every turn.  So if you deduct the 2 cost from Legolas, you have a guy with 1/3/1/3 stats and ranged for a cost of 2.

And it's in TACTICS!

I respectfully disagree.  I often play low-cost Tactics as a primary or secondary sphere and it's extremely effective, but the one problem I routinely run into is poor card draw.  Foe Hammer is amazing, but useless if you don't have a weapon attached yet.  I'd easily include Legolas ally.  Besides the ways to circumvent or reduce his cost as a Silvan, repeatable card draw for Tactics is HUGE.  And pair him with Merry to get repeatable readying.

Imagine if that ability was on a hero. At 9 threat, I would kill for that ability.

Ah, puns.

But, seriously, seems like a **** nice ability for an ally, even at 4 cost. Repeatable, and part of what you'd have him in play for anyway.

My Tactics/Leadership deck uses resource acceleration to help pay for expensive Tactics cards. Other than King Under the Mountain (with a Dwarf hero), card draw is the biggest weakness for this strategy. Having a 3 Attack ally with ranged that allows me to draw cards is an absolute perfect fit for the deck. I am mystified that repeatable card draw on a Tactics ally could ever be considered weak. With those stats, what else would you be doing with him? Off the top of my head, I can't think of another ranged ally with 3 printed attack - Legolas is a beast. If you consider just how effective he will be when Celeborn is on the table, it gets silly. Also, Rumil and Legolas are going to be so much fun to pair together.

You can even attach Rivendell Blade on Legolas, and almost counts as an extra hero, as long as you don't block with him. 

Also, as a big Leadership fan, I think Gimli is as good as Legolas is in Leadership decks. He costs 4, which with Leadership is always affordable if you use Steward or a Thorin dwarf deck, can quest and attack in the same round for 2 (or 3 if using Dain, which is the best case scenario for this ally). That's pretty **** good, no reason not to add at least 1 copy.

The new legolas ally is a really beast. But by other way, you have to forget his heroe version, when is the best tactcis hero for me.

True, but Legolas is infinitely more replaceable than other heroes, such as Glorfindel, that you might include in a deck.

As a side note, while MV's art on Legolas in both his hero version and on Hands Upon is perfect, his depiction as left-handed does not sit well with me. I think it's quite possible that FFG reverses the images so that they look better in the printed cards (I have no other explanation why so many characters are depicted left-handed), I judge what I see nonetheless.

Sorry, but what indicates that Legolas is portrayed as left-handed on his hero card or Hands Upon the Bow? The fact that he holds the bow in his right? I'm left-handed but I'm a right-handed shot with bows and guns. To me it makes more sense to use your dominant hand to aim. He can probably aim with either hand, though - he's had time to practise.

So, you 're telling me that, though left-handed, you pull the string with your weak hand... What bow have you been using? Something like this I guess...

The dominant hand is always used to pull the string, not hold the bow. It takes significant effort and strong muscles to pull the string. Archery is not for everyone. Requires strength.

Holding bow with left hand=You are right hand dominant. I couldn't be more right handed, and hold a bow in my left hand and pull back with my stronger and more dextrous right hand.

I will say however that any great archer can/should be able to use both.

So I rebuilt my decks for The Road Darkens using the two new allies and have played out the first two quests.  I was able to beat them both this way, including having Gandalf take the plunge with the balrog.  It was really satisfying to have the entire fellowship out on the table and battling their way through Moria.  I'm really glad we got the two allies.

I'm quite excited to give the new ally versions a go in my hobbit deck. I am using Elf-stones to play more expensive allies anyway, and Legolas combos well with Merry, and Gimli gives some flexible beef to support in a variety of areas.

Edited by Damoel

...ally, was what I had intended to write ;)

Perhaps these ally versions of Legolas and Gimli give more hope that there will one day be an Aragorn ally.

I for one really hope we do get one in the saga expansions, perhaps the second last one. 

Edited by PsychoRocka