Sign in to follow this  
MyNeighbourTrololo

The Dark Tide Approaches

Is no one else mystified or disappointed by this choice?

Sure, i was a bit disappointed, but I also wanted more of the fellowship represented as allies. So, I'm alright with it, although my play style leans more towards loading heroes with attachments rather than ally swarm. So, the new allies might only find there place in a few of my decks, especially theme decks.

I assume we'll see new hero versions of legolas and gimili. I thought now would have been the most logical choice, but i have given up trying to predict what cards we will see and when. I guess it all makes sense to the designers in their long term plans for the game.

I've resigned to accepting what player cards we get. At this point, all they do is add a variety of ways to beat scenarios, since many scenarios can be beaten with cards we got back in the Dwarodelf cycle. My main interest lies in the new scenarios, and hope they provide good challenges.

We certaibly won't get Erkenbrand. That would be really strange, seen the timeframe.

I agree and don't think we'll get a new Erkenbrand, but: we went through a very similar situation with the two Pippins in Encounter at Amon Din (July 2013) and The Black Riders (September 2013) -- 2 months apart.  So, strange, but not without precedent.

My money is on a new Theoden!

Seems to me that they should have incorporated the Battle (quest 5b) and the Siege (1 to 4 quests) keywords on the quest...

Or does they create some keywords and then just forget them?

Well, I too like getting Fellowship allies but these ones aren't that great. They really don't have any synergy, any two allies who have Ranged and Sentinel "work together" and they don't have any theme when compared to Boromir ally. Instead they are just useful allies that are expensive and have a strong ability but really don't feel like Gimli and Legolas so I would have much preferred hero versions of them. I just think they missed the mark a little on these two.

Those keywords are kinda meh, if you ask me.

That is your opinion.

I like them and think they could fit nicely in Helm's Deep quest

No, they don't. The thing they did with Helm's deep provides gameplay. All Battle and Siege does is swaps wp for at or def. Countered too easily if built for.

That is your opinion.

No, they don't. The thing they did with Helm's deep provides gameplay. All Battle and Siege does is swaps wp for at or def. Countered too easily if built for.

Which isn't the case because you are playing a campaign....

Edited by CJMatos

That is your opinion.

Which isn't the case because you are playing a campaign....

Which is the case because if you DON'T build for it - you're experience will be very bad. 

Well, I too like getting Fellowship allies but these ones aren't that great. They really don't have any synergy, any two allies who have Ranged and Sentinel "work together" and they don't have any theme when compared to Boromir ally. Instead they are just useful allies that are expensive and have a strong ability but really don't feel like Gimli and Legolas so I would have much preferred hero versions of them. I just think they missed the mark a little on these two.

Well put! This captures how I feel pretty well too. There was lot of room for the mechanics to reinforce the theme with these two, but what we got ends up just feeling like they wanted to make a few "power cards".

I guess that means that they'll see a lot of play, though, which might be fitting enough on its own. They are great cards.

Well put! This captures how I feel pretty well too. There was lot of room for the mechanics to reinforce the theme with these two, but what we got ends up just feeling like they wanted to make a few "power cards".

I guess that means that they'll see a lot of play, though, which might be fitting enough on its own. They are great cards.

All these negative comments are completely unwarranted in my opinion. First of all, these allies were meant to be really good general purpose allies. Remember that this game is based more on the spheres rather than traits or specific themes, so these two allies were meant to be just good and splashable in multiple decks, kinda like ally Faramir, Arwen, etc. So why is this so surprising? We get these type of allies all the time. And regarding theme, I think these allies have great theme. No weird gimmicks, just a simple yet effective ability that captures the main trait of the character perfectly. Gimli is a dauntless and enduring warrior, so when an enemy comes up instead of being demoralized he readies. Legolas on the other hand is a deadly and far-seeing elven archer, so he gathers information when killing enemies. These are pretty much perfect abilities. Simple and elemental, which I personally prefer.

All these negative comments are completely unwarranted in my opinion. First of all, these allies were meant to be really good general purpose allies. Remember that this game is based more on the spheres rather than traits or specific themes, so these two allies were meant to be just good and splashable in multiple decks, kinda like ally Faramir, Arwen, etc. So why is this so surprising? We get these type of allies all the time. And regarding theme, I think these allies have great theme. No weird gimmicks, just a simple yet effective ability that captures the main trait of the character perfectly. Gimli is a dauntless and enduring warrior, so when an enemy comes up instead of being demoralized he readies. Legolas on the other hand is a deadly and far-seeing elven archer, so he gathers information when killing enemies. These are pretty much perfect abilities. Simple and elemental, which I personally prefer.

Just sharing my opinion to get some discussion, no need to get all upset. Is it really that negative of a comment or just a compliment to such amazing cards before and pointing out how the article (if you actually read it) is a little misleading for these allies? It's in the context of them competing for kills so I was thinking these ally versions would represent that but instead they represent as you said the powerful characters they are in general. They are great allies which will be fun to build decks around but are kind of generic which is all I was a little disappointed about.

You're never the only one on such things, but I'm not with you on this one. I think Gimli's art is decent and Legolases one is just perfefct. Totally dig the art style of that one.

+1

As a side note, while MV's art on Legolas in both his hero version and on Hands Upon is perfect, his depiction as left-handed does not sit well with me. I think it's quite possible that FFG reverses the images so that they look better in the printed cards (I have no other explanation why so many characters are depicted left-handed), I judge what I see nonetheless.

Just out of curiosity why does it matter to you if he is left or right handed? I personally would imagine Elves are ambidextrous considering how graceful and effortless movement is for them.

Grace is one thing, ambidexterity another. Other than that, the thing is that not only Elves, but a great number of members of other races as well are depicted as left-handed in a proportion that simply does not make sense. As to why it matters to me, it doesn't. It's just what I previously wrote: it doesn't make sense. Even though the setting is a fantasy one and anything can happen, almost half of the heroes being left handed baffles me.

Edited by Serazu

Just out of curiosity why does it matter to you if he is left or right handed? I personally would imagine Elves are ambidextrous considering how graceful and effortless movement is for them.

Grace is one thing, ambidexterity another. Other than that, the thing is that not only Elves, but a great number of members of other races as well are depicted as left-handed in a proportion that simply does not make sense. As to why it matters to me, it doesn't. It's just what I previously wrote: it doesn't make sense. Even though the setting is a fantasy one and anything can happen, almost half of the heroes being left handed baffles me.

Yeah fair enough, if its across all races that is a bit silly

Edited by PsychoRocka

Yeah, the left-handed thing puzzles me also. At one point it seemed like all of them were lefties for whatever reason. I thought there might be a thing to it actually, like an art-designing superstition or something.

As for being ambidextrous, Maedhros would be a better example for the thought above.