Sign in to follow this  
MyNeighbourTrololo

The Dark Tide Approaches

Welcome Gimli, you were a lot of times forgot. Now you will be watched in play more often, sure.

Legolas: tactics needs a drawing card machine, yeah. It promises!

Edited by Mndela

Hmmm... Interesting. So, Leadership Theoden seems like a good chance, but what about the other? Another Eomer? It can't be another Erkenbrand. And speaking of him, I didn't see anything regarding his and Gandalf's arrival in the quest??? They're just cutting that part out? So many questions!

Cool allies. That's what i was hoping for in TRD. So i will be thrilled to go back with them with some new deck ideas.

Bit surprised they did not come as heroes in this set, so i wonder what we'll see. Arwen?

I've started modifying your original decks with the inclusion of Gimli, Legolas and Boromir.  Pippen and Merry with have to be virtual baggage for now.  Would love to see your versions though!

I was actually pretty disappointed to see that Gimli and Legolas are appearing as allies instead of heroes in this set. I was looking forward to having alternative spheres for these beloved heroes and the first half of The Two Towers is a the most natural place to do it.

I'm also a little sad to see that Legolas doesn't have an "enters play" effect--seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to strengthen Silvan synergy in tactics, which could use it IMO.

All that said, they look like great ally cards and I'm definitely looking forward to using them.

Ever since my decision to remove Legolas and replace him with Celeborn I have been hoping that we get ally versions of Legolas and Gimli instead of new heroes. This has massively paid off as the Legolas ally is not only amazing as well as very powerful and obviously thematic in my elven decks but also has the Silvan trait so can have his cost reduced by O Lorien and has 4 attack instead of 3 the turn he is played so long as you run Celeborn. If you run Galadriel (which I don't) AND Celeborn he can quest for 2 and then attack for 4 and draw you a card the first turn he is in play. Lastly whilst you would almost always ideally return a Naith Guide or Galadhon Archer to hand to use Feigned Voices or Pursuing the Enemy Legolas can provide a good back up option if you desperately need to use either event.

Now that I think about it he's actually a pretty good target for sneak attack as well as you can sneak attack him during player attacks, he still goes up to 4 attack from Celeborn, destroys an enemy, draws you a card and returns to hand ready to be played at 4 attack strength again. Not bad at all considering how few targets there are for sneak attack that actually work well.

Edited by PsychoRocka

So now that we know that Legolas and Gimli aren't the heroes, I've been trying to figure out who the new heroes could possibly be.

It could well be Merry and Pippin, but I'm still hoping to get copies of those two with the Rohan and Gondor traits, which makes more sense to go in one of the Return of the King boxes. Plus, I'm not sure I need 3 different Pippin heroes before we get some other important heroes (ahem Arwen) first. I'm hoping they show up as allies here.

Treebeard and Erkenbrand seem like logical choices, given their pivotal roles in the battles of Isengard and Helm's Deep, respectively. But the antlered crown just gave us both of these cards, so that makes me feel like they were making up for a decision to cut them from this box. We don't really need second copies of these characters yet; we've barely had a chance to play with the copies we just got.

So who else shows up in the first half of the Two Towers? Quickbeam? But it would seem strange to get a Quickbeam hero before Treebeard. We don't have Gamling or Grimbold yet, and they're both present at the battle of Helm's Deep, so it could be them. Maybe we'll get a "Battle of the Fords of Isen" quest, then they'd be obvious choices. Hama dies during the battle for Helm's Deep, maybe it's his turn for a new hero. I think Elfhelm was present too.

But honestly, it feels strange to think of FFG shipping a deluxe set featuring bit characters as the heroes. In that case, Theoden and Eomer are really the best choices once Gimli and Legolas (and Aragorn) are out. I'm still having fun with the Theoden and Eomer that we have, but I suppose I wouldn't mind a fresh coat of paint on them.

Thoughts? Am I overlooking someone?

Edited by Authraw

I was so expecting hero versions that when I liked at them I thought "Four threat? Why so low?"

It would have been neat for them to have an additional ability like "After Gimli is played from your hand you may search your deck for a copy of Legolas and add it to your hand. If you do shuffle your deck."

This!

I had to look for some time before realising they are allies. At first I was like, what kind of card is this... Totally feel you.

What you think is the reason of ,,Players cannot   reduce their  threat." of 5B?

Being unable to reduce threat in the final quest stage further depicts the desperation of the battle. It's the moment during the darkest hour of the battle where Rohan rides out against the host of Isengard. This is not the time to be greeted by the galadhrim, counseled by elrond, or whatever means you we have to reduce threat.

On to quest mechanics, it seems that the players' goal is get to quest stage 5 as fast as possible. The only way to do this it to put eight resources of The Defense of Helm's Deep. That's eight rounds of what should be grueling combat. I'm curious to know if there are encounter card effects that add or remove resources from this card. 

So, why do you think its impossible to get a Leggy and Gimli hero still? It could be a nice bluff of the article.

And in addition, the legolas hero could synergize with the Gimli ally and the other way around. 

Ok not very possible, but still nice twist...

I would say that merry and pippin are more likely to come in the next expansion.  Gandalf the white is also more likely in next saga.  It would be a bit strange to come out with another Erkenbrand, just a few months after the latest one.  Eomer is more likely.  I honestly wouldn't be to surprised if Hama came up again.   Also, something that was not mentioned is the fact that since we had Mablung (assuming that it is not the mablung of the 1st age, the Faramirs warrior) it wouldn't be too unreasonable to have Damrod.  He might just be an ally but it would be cool to have him as a hero.  Another thing is that it might not be too strange for Eowyn to show up since she hasn't been a hero since the core. Final thing that would be cool to show up in the saga (not necessarily this one, just one of the future) would be Frodo.  maybe even as an ally but that might not be thematic...

They havr to mention Gandalfs return. It too big of a deal to simply ignore it. But as a matter of fact, we have never been given any version of Gandalf, Grey or White. Just Gandalf. That is a distiction that you shouldn't overlook. I don't think they ever adress his certain 'states' specificly, but maybe a Boon or attachment.

We certaibly won't get Erkenbrand. That would be really strange, seen the timeframe.

I hope for Theoden King to make a reappearance. Also Gamlimg would be cool!

My reaction ws exactly the same! I really like the ally versions, though I was hopling for new hero versions as well. Their treats will make their respective decks (dwarven and silvan) go even more bonkers. The card gain from legolas is particularly awesome for tactics.

I still find not giving the Hero slots to Legolas and Gimli a curious choice.

We've only just had Gandalf, Treebeard and Erkenbrand, we got the two hobbits in the Black Riders (and there's already a second version of Pippin), Theoden was at the end of the Against the Shadow cycle. But Legolas and Gimli?! Two of the most prominent characters in the entire story are neglected since the core set? For nearly four years!

Yes, the existing versions hold up well, but I want new options to play these characters! Not just allies who take time to draw and pay for, and may not show up at all in a single game.

And as for the possible inclusion of more obscure characters as Heroes in this box, believe me, I want every tiny detail of Middle Earth represented too, but not at the expense of the feel of the core story. For me, regular expansion packs are the place to do this. I prefer the Sagas to stick as closely as possible to the book. I'll admit I would be glad to see another version of Eowyn, depicting her skills in battle, but isn't the fifth saga box a better place to do this?

Is no one else mystified or disappointed by this choice?

It is useful to realize what has been said (or guessed) before and what this article proves: the designers consider people might play this having only the LotR saga and the core set. Thus it would make little sense to have second hero versions of Legolas and Gimli when you get them in the core set: having two "useless" cards among four boxes only. In a similar way, it would make even less sense to get new hero versions of Merry and Pippin because we got them with the Black Riders. Théoden and Éomer, or even Erkebrand, are different stories. They do not care Éomer and Théoden have "only" been out for about a year because they came out with the cycles. Thus, we may surely expect hero Théoden, and probably a hero Éomer, though a hero Treebeard would also make sense. I do not think we will see more allies, as we also only got two in Black Riders, but this is far less certain.

Edited by lleimmoen

As for Éowyn, I would like to see Dernhelm as follows:

Tactics Attachment

Cost 1

Attach to Éowyn

Éowyn gains Tactics icon

Planning Action: "Exhaust Dernhelm to give Éowyn +3 Attack and -3 Willpower untill the end of the round."