Sign in to follow this  
MyNeighbourTrololo

The Dark Tide Approaches

I always look forward to the saga expansions and they never fail to dissapoint me.

So there have been no Hero versions of Legolas or Gimli since the Core Set, and now there is not even the hope of them on the horizon.

Hey FFG, I would actually like to play as my favourite characters one day in a sphere other then tactics. The three hunters are one of my favourite aspects of the story and still the only way to make a deck is to have 32 starting threat and double tactics. My patience with this game is wearing out.

I did NOT expect that! Nice twist, and very powerful allies. Gimli will be great for questing AND attacking/defending the same round... And with Cram or UC he can manage some serious action. Also nice with card draw for Tactics curtesy of Legolas!

Gimli-> Awesome! Right sphere (to get the resources to play him), great stats an Awesome ability. Just splendid!

Don't really like his fave and hair though. His axe and armor looks cool but the face could've been better. Great ally!

Legolas-> Cool! Stays in Tactics, but provides a great ability for Tactics to draw cards. This is only the second (?) way for the sphere to draw cards. I would have prefered a whopping 4 attack or 3 cost, because I think, in comparison to Gimli, he is a bit weaker. (although the ability is arguably better) His art is a bit strane but cool lookking. His hair is not blond, great! But the things flying around block the 'view' a bit.

The mechanics of this particular quest do seem tense man! Choosing between +1 def, raising threat by gor or 4 threat in staging area, wow. Never really faced such choiches before.

The Defense keyword seems tto be the thing that says: Enemies 'quest'. I hoped they would count our willpower as a sort of threat, tgus not having to exhaust, but it doesn't seem.to be that way.

I'm excited for this one!

I did NOT expect that! Nice twist, and very powerful allies. Gimli will be great for questing AND attacking/defending the same round... And with Cram or UC he can manage some serious action. Also nice with card draw for Tactics curtesy of Legolas!

sadly they attach to heroes. You could use Spare Hood and Cloak or Ever Vigilant though.

While I was initially suspecting new versions of Merry and Pippin as heroes of this saga, this new article planted some doubt in me. Yes, two main candidates for hero slots have been ruled out, but if they want heroes of this box to support theme - it doubtly will be another version of two hobbits... unless the other 2 quests involve them very much.

This Gimli is not a hero.

Just noticed this quote in the article:

"In a period of several weeks, we’ll be able to stand atop the walls of Helm’s Deep, alongside Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Théoden."

I'm 99% sure we're getting a new Theoden hero.  Also, they gave ToS the same estimate that they gave Lost Realm - "several weeks".

Wow... I'm kinda speechless. I could have sworn we would get new Legolas and Gimli heroes, but IMO the idea to include them as allies is even better! And they're incredible allies, by the way. They'll go directly into my Elladan&Elrohir deck. Amazing allies both of them, and this gives me hope we'll get a new Theoden hero (especially since they mention him by name in the article).

As for the quest itself, it's strange that they didn't explain the quest mechanic with enough detail. If I'm not mistaken, the staging area quests against our characters' with its threat, but as the article mentions, locations are gonna be a problem. You have to get rid of them in order to not get location locked, but the effects when they are explored seem pretty harsh... Anyway, great preview, here's waiting to get the expansion as soon as possible!

sadly they attach to heroes. You could use Spare Hood and Cloak or Ever Vigilant though.

Ah, yes... Of course. I am so used to putting UC on Gimli that I got a little too enthusiastic!  :)

Good idea regarding Spare Hood and Cloak or Ever Vigilant though.

Great allies, both of them. Gimli is just great in 3-4 player games.

I really thought they were a given as the 2 upcoming heroes tho.

Anyone smelling a treebeard hero coming up???

Or maybe new versions of merry & pippin....I said maybe...

Edited by Noccus

Wow, it has been a long time since I've been as excited as I am right now! Legolas and Gimli as allies came a bit as a shock, but they really nailed them! Like them a lot. And now I truly wonder what the heroes will be. Theoden is my first bet now.

And the quests seems awesome. I like how encounter deck will be putting progress onto the quest now.

So, does anyone wonder what the Defense keyword means on the quest card 4B? 

I was so expecting hero versions that when I liked at them I thought "Four threat? Why so low?"

It would have been neat for them to have an additional ability like "After Gimli is played from your hand you may search your deck for a copy of Legolas and add it to your hand. If you do shuffle your deck."

So, does anyone wonder what the Defense keyword means on the quest card 4B? 

First stage also has this keyword, and I think all of them will have it. It seems this keyword means that the staging area will be placing progress and all this mechanic.

I always look forward to the saga expansions and they never fail to dissapoint me.

So there have been no Hero versions of Legolas or Gimli since the Core Set, and now there is not even the hope of them on the horizon.

Hey FFG, I would actually like to play as my favourite characters one day in a sphere other then tactics. The three hunters are one of my favourite aspects of the story and still the only way to make a deck is to have 32 starting threat and double tactics. My patience with this game is wearing out.

If you want to quit the game for the sole reason that you are unable to construct one very specific deck, that's your perogative.

My first reaction was exactly the opposite. I was excited, because with these allies it will actually be possible to play with just two decks and have all nine members of the fellowship on the board as either heroes or allies. For that matter, these allies make constructing a single deck which includes the three hunters possible too.

Edited by carolina_bryan