Sign in to follow this  
Wags33

Which would you pick?

I am curious as to which scenario you would pick, if there was going to be an actual zombie apocalypse. For whatever reason there is going to be a zombie apocalypse and the powers that be are allowing you to chose one of the 5 scenarios. So which scenario would you chose for humanity to face, and why? Also, for any players who are reading this, there may be spoilers in peoples answers. Fair warning.

I think I would chose scenario 4, It Ends With A Whisper. My reasoning is that this version of the zombie apocalypse is more controlled than the others. It's not some random virus that is spreading. It is also one in which the fate of humanity isn't necessarily going to be wiped out. The masters behind the apocalypse simply want humanity to return to a more archaic way of living, not for it to be wiped out.

There are ways to prevent being turned into a zombie as well which is always nice.

I'd also go with the Voodoo scenario. It seems to be the less "devastating" by virtue of the Voodoo Priests only wanting to tear down modern civilisation, rather than an uncontrollable force that is going to leave the Earth in ruins. The zombies themselves are being controlled, they don't want to eat you (not the nicest fate) and the Possessed can be saved. Additionally, there's a chance the Voodoo Priests will let you live so long as you agree to their terms. The military resistance, whilst not doing great, at least has a fighting chance to reclaim the world. 

E.D.E.N. probably have the 'coziest' Post-Apocalyptic scenario, but they're not exactly the nicest bunch. At least the military resistance in It Ends With A Whisper have a fighting chance against the Voodoo Priests whilst E.D.E.N. just have a bunch of plucky underground rebels.

Yea that is a lot of my thoughts on the voodoo scenario. You can survive especially if you're willing to bend to the voodoo priests demands. I had thought of scenario 1 since there ends up being a cure and humanity is saved, but zombie animals is a no. That's mostly just a personal desire not to be chased down by a pack of zombie dogs...or a herd of zombie cows.

I think I would pick Pandemic. It would probably be good for a reduction in humanity's population and would give the planet a bit of a rest from the constant strain (kind of what the voodoo priests are doing anyway).

I live in Australia so I would be quite comfortable living in some isolated area out of E.D.E.N.s direct control and with all tyranny's they would eventually fall or be overthrown, it's just a matter of time.

Also I find a natural virus to be not quite so terrifying as living in a world where the dead actually do walk.

Interesting, I would avoid pandemic because sprinters suck. But, E.D.E.N. isn't part of Pandemic's post apocalypse, if I am remembering right. Don't have my book in front of me. Think the E.D.E.N. is part of the Night of the Meteor. Don't remember what the particulars of Pandemics post-apoc is though, again not having the book handy.

You are correct, I got mixed up, it's the gangs ruling things that are part of Pandemic's post apocalypse.

Whilst sprinters do indeed suck, just like sprinters the zombies will burn themselves out quicker as their overcharged bodies would shut down and die, meaning that if you could hole up somewhere relatively safe for the initial onslaught and ride it out things would get a lot safer a lot sooner than with relentless never ending zombies.

I guess we have also overlooked the validility of under the skin. The reality today isn't quite so severe as in the book

But if we look at the fungus that controls the minds of small insects. Maybe with a bit of evolution. This could be our demise? Mother nature. Taking her earth back

Edited by Psychosis

I guess we have also overlooked the validility of under the skin. The reality today isn't quite so severe as in the book

But if we look at the fungus that controls the minds of small insects. Maybe with a bit of evolution. This could be our demise? Mother nature. Taking her earth back

The difference here is that an insects brain is so vastly different than a vertebrate (let alone a Homo sapien) brain.  Imagine if you will a computer virus that effects a wrist watch calculator so that every time you added any numbers together the result was 80085.  The gap between how complicated that virus is and one that could seriously effect a modern computer is huge.  For natural evolution to cause the "zombie ant fungus" to effect humans is so large it is safe to consider it impossible.

Now if some bio-engineer decided to use the fungus as a template and intentionally created a version that effected humans, well that is another story.

The difference here is that an insects brain is so vastly different than a vertebrate (let alone a Homo sapien) brain.  Imagine if you will a computer virus that effects a wrist watch calculator so that every time you added any numbers together the result was 80085.  The gap between how complicated that virus is and one that could seriously effect a modern computer is huge.  For natural evolution to cause the "zombie ant fungus" to effect humans is so large it is safe to consider it impossible.

Now if some bio-engineer decided to use the fungus as a template and intentionally created a version that effected humans, well that is another story.

Also it isn't insects in general it is a specific to ants in specific areas. 

Here is the Sauce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis#Host_impact

Last of Us also already covered this ;)

Edited by rg56538

Also it isn't insects in general it is a specific to ants in specific areas. 

Here is the Sauce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis#Host_impact

Last of Us also already covered this ;)

Gaah SPOILERS! I haven't finished the game yet.  I only just finished hunting the deer as Allie.

I've said it in another post, and I'll say it again here. If you want a TPK, run Under the Skin as is. 10 Infected = Horrifying Abomination? I had one up and following the players from the start of them game (easily 10 people Infected and joining in the busy game shop we were running in).

I feel like the way the scenarios are ordered in the book range from most survivable (Night of the Meteor) to **** near impossible (Under the Skin). I mean long term survival of course. The last ditch effort that humanity is forced into in Under the Skin is horrifying compared to what E.D.E.N. has in store for us in Night of the Meteor.

Evil Genius Prime. I do think they attempted to put them in order of difficulty, though I think that the Voodoo and Pandemic scenario would be switched around. I think infected sprinters would be much more difficult than the voodoo zombies, especially once the gris-gris were being handed out.