CobaltWraith

Local Armada Groups

There are a lot of gamers in new England. Were just not as friendly and outgoing as folks you find in other parts of the country. People tend to keep to themselves so it can be hard to get good gaming groups together.

Honestly this really feels like our problem around here, lol. And like you said, I've heard that Time Machine has a very active X-wing community. I think I'll drive over there after work tomorrow and see what kind of Armada rumblings are about.

Let me know what you find out Dusksong. If the time machine does start up an Armada group I could make it down at least once or twice a month.

We got some work to do in this area.  :ph34r:

So I stopped by Time Machine for a chat (and for some Survive! expansion impulse buys, naturally) and the space to play isn't really what they seemed to be concerned with - it was more concern over how much interest Armada will draw. Maybe others here have experienced the same kind of caution from their FLGS? I mean, the conversation started with an "if it ever comes out" joke if that means anything. I guess even the X-wing player base is a little fractured there and sometimes turns their X-wing night into Star Trek or D&D Attack Wing. From what they're hearing from players there is hesitancy to get involved in what is perceived as a much longer game than X-wing. (Fair point maybe?) So I'm going to stop by again when X-wing should be happening next to further test the waters and try to network a bit.

I'll get a FB page up and running and add the link tonight so that Cobalt can get it in the registry at least and so that I can start linking it to other gaming groups. It'll be a lonely little page for a while, but hopefully I can try to create some buzz with the X-wing players and warm the FLGS up a little more to the idea of a regular Armada crowd. Going to branch out tomorrow evening and over the weekend to some other game stores in the Hartford area to see how they feel about supporting a somewhat regular Armada night and then trying further out from there.

Yay, New England?  :rolleyes:

Edit to add FB page link for directory: Star Wars: Armada of Southern New England

Hopefully it's not lonely for long! Time to get to work this weekend...

Edited by Dusksong

Thank you for putting that up Dusksong. I'm sure Armada will take longer to play than x-wing but if there already playing Star Trek and D&D attack wing (both games that take longer to play than x-wing) I'm sure once they see Armada in action they will come around. I would venture to guess a game of Armada will take 2-3 hours once everyone knows the rules. Wow... just thinking of how long tournaments will run... kinda scares me... lol.

Just updated the list to add all the new groups. Way to go all, the list is starting to look pretty respectable! Since the URL for this topic stays the same, if you wanted you could even link to this page to give the forum some love and help out of towners find groups near their home turf. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for putting that up Dusksong. I'm sure Armada will take longer to play than x-wing but if there already playing Star Trek and D&D attack wing (both games that take longer to play than x-wing) I'm sure once they see Armada in action they will come around. I would venture to guess a game of Armada will take 2-3 hours once everyone knows the rules. Wow... just thinking of how long tournaments will run... kinda scares me... lol.

Remember a game of Armada is only six turns based on objectives - so especially in tournaments with experienced players I don't think it will take as long as you think. Doing some epic scale battles at home to the death - sure that could take all day :P

Greetings Everyone.

Short time lurker here, long time wargamer. Mentally jumped around with glee when Armada was announced.

Most of my time is spent over @ Board Game Geek, but the Armada community is more active here.

I am in the Winchester, VA area and will probably be doing most playing at home. There is a game store Your Hobby Place in Martinsburg, WV that I hope will be holdIng Armada events. They haVe X-Wing events so I assume Armada will be no different.

Greetings Everyone.

I am in the Winchester, VA area and will probably be doing most playing at home. There is a game store Your Hobby Place in Martinsburg, WV that I hope will be holdIng Armada events. They haVe X-Wing events so I assume Armada will be no different.

Welcome aboard!

Do you think that you will be doing anything proactive to bring an Armada-playing community together?

Alright, list is updated again. Added new areas and FLGS names where I have them. For members who have already formed groups, if you have a store you'll be playing at or will be organizing events from your site, would you mind adding a new post to let me know? I'm not very likely to notice an edited post in comparison.

Greetings Everyone.

Welcome aboard!

Do you think that you will be doing anything proactive to bring an Armada-playing community together?

I'll do what I can. I'll introduce it to the group I game with regularly and I will encourage Your Hobby PLace to have Armada nights if they don't already have plans to do so.

The places I plan to play are:

The store owner/manager at Red Castle seems to be enthusiastic for the game as well, and seems supportive. Guardian Games is overall a larger venue that attracts more people.
Looking forward to getting games in. I will be getting the whole first wave to help get players a demo game in with different models. Also having the models to show off to new players helps a lot too.

Hey Colbat! Time Machine can be accessed here on facebook - so anyone else in the area who wants to also push for a regular Armada play space can go check it out.

Good call. I hunted down Facebook pages for all the stores on the list and will continue to do so for any I can find from this point on. Just click the store name in the first post to go to their Facebook page, then you can go to their main page from there if you so desire.