Sign in to follow this  
Kamehameornah

Dragon Expansion with the Nether Realm

I'm just curious how do you guys typically handle this? (Also sorry if this is in the wrong area on the forum).

I don't want to use the tower, I've read a few variants on the forums but I didn't see a post dedicated to this specific combination.

So yeah, big talisman game tomorrow and I'm curious how you guys are handling these two!

:-)

-Kame

Dragon Expansion doesn't work well with anything, not even with the Alternative endings provided with that expansion. It replaces the rest of the game for the most part.

I suggest playing the Dragon as a stand-alone product, when you feel the need of it. You actually could play with the Nether Realm endings, if you accept that either the final battle against the Dragon King doesn't happen (when using Pandora's Box) or decide to fight the Draconic Lord even though you would automatically win (The Gauntlet and The Hunt). I don't know if the Gauntlet would be compatible with the Dragon Realm overlay (maybe it gets too hard?) and never tried it with the Dragon Tower. Probably you're going to be killed if you had to face a Nether Card in addition to the Dragon cards.

All in all, the mechanics don't disturb each other but perhaps they don't make for a better game. Moreover, I find extremely anticlimactic to play a Dragon game and find something else waiting on the Crown of Command.

Have a look at the link posted by Artaterxes for some merged thoughts about the Dragon and its compatibility.

Thanks guys. We will probably play with just the dragon expansion and not the nether realm tomorrow.

Shame! So far we've used all the other expansions together and it has been great.

I'm still open to other ideas of anyone has any.

I've said it before. I/we always play with all expansions. We find nothing really compromises the non-Dragon game/expansions. Maybe just us? As mentioned before, we do try to delay scales picking through a flavor text house rule ~ Dragons mostly don't notice the people in the land - until after the first one is encountered anywhere or region. From that point we start the pulling of scales.  It has happened that we got through a game (as much as we do, LOL) without pulling a single Dragon.

More likely Dragons pop up 1/4 to 1/3 time after starting.

We don't agree on Nether Realms (my wifey partner - she only lets me house rule to a degree).  Normally Nether Realm cards don't play until the alt ending is revealed - either at the beginning by choice or the hidden one at the Crown.

So Nether cards don't come up in our game unless those things happen. Which is a drag, to me, since they're so cool. I tried house rules for that: If you land in "The Cursed Glade" (for example), at night, you pull the Nether Card over the Adventure card.  But the space is easily avoided. I don't want to look like a Death Queen, so I don't go there if I'm the only one.

Well, this is a problem we faced when we first got the Nether Realm, because we are one of those groups that loves to play with EVERYTHING. In addition, I love both expansions, and wouldn't want to cut either one out. So the solution we came up with was to encounter the Pandora's box ending after killing the reigning Dragon King. Not a perfect solution, but one that works well for us.

Yeah. I would hate the idea of having an expansion I don't use, and I think this is a pretty good solution. You do have to make a decision about what to do about Dragon Tokens after the Dragon King has been killed though.

I think the new FAQ will have to invent a way for The Dragon components to be used with any ending, if only so the Digital Edition can incorporate it. Customers of the Digital Edition will raise heck if they see their content is locked with all but one ending!

Been given the dragon expansion for christmas and only just got given the Nether Realm for birthday so was unable to post on this topic until now.

For the three alternative endings in the Nether Realm, it seems to me that Pandora's Box and The Hunt don't care what the Inner Region is, nor do they effect it. So the dragon expansion and nether realm don't appear to be in conflict.  Although that being said, with using the dragon expansion, not having a dragon lord at the end of the game to beat up does feel a bit, well, odd to say the least.

The Gauntlet, however, has at first glance some conflict.  The main board inner region and the nether realm not a problem.  Tne dragon expansion inner region should also be fine, as you encounter the nether cards before encountering the space instructions.  So failure to get past a Nether Card prevents from encountering that square on the Inner Region.  The dragon's tower on the other hard states, if memory serves me correctly, that you have to draw X number of current Dragon Lord cards and then move the number of squares equal to the number of monsters you beat up plus 1.  Then discard any cards at the end of the turn.  All that would happen with the Nether Realm and the Dragon Tower in this case i would think is that you just encounter the Nether card, and if you get past that, then you draw X Dragon Lord cards, then move your set distance, and any cards get discarded at the end of the turn.  So to me there is no real conflict as such

Me and my friend just house rule the Gauntlet for all spaces in the Inner Region except for the Crown of Command when we use all expansions for an anniversary games sesh.

Only done this once but my friend defeated the Lord of Darkness with enough strength to go straight to the Crown and defeat the Dragon King, thus no Nether cards enocuntered.