Sign in to follow this  
Ken at Sunrise

Disney Bought George Lucas’ Ideas For The New 'Star Wars' Trilogy And Then Scrapped Them

Disney Bought George Lucas’ Ideas For The New 'Star Wars' Trilogy And Then Scrapped Them

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-scrapped-george-lucas-star-wars-episode-7-2015-1#ixzz3PZMBH1Kp

When George Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012 for $4 billion, the sale included treatments for Lucas’ "Star Wars" ideas for episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

So even though the Mouse House was now in charge of all things “Star Wars,” it appeared as if fans were still going to get Lucas’ version of the next trilogy.  

It turns out that's not the case.

Speaking with Cinemablend at the press conference for his new animated feature, “Strange Magic,” Lucas said Disney essentially scrapped his ideas for episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

“The ones that I sold to Disney, they came up to the decision that they didn't really want to do those,” Lucas told Cinemablend. “So they made up their own. So it's not the ones that I originally wrote.”

According to Bloomberg, Disney CEO Robert Iger thought the treatments "had a lot of potential."

Lucas has been tossing around ideas for a third "Star Wars" trilogy since the launch of the original trilogy. A Time article from March 1978 suggested Lucas had plans for up to a dozen "Star Wars" movies.

He even pitched the idea of "Episode VII" to actor Mark Hamill in the '80s.

Lucas is now serving as a "creative consultant" on the new films. 

What does that mean? Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy described it like this:

The beauty of the collaboration that can continue is as we work our way through these scripts if we're sitting and saying, "Hmm, I wonder if this character can do that?" or "Does this make sense within the rules of 'Star Wars'?" … He's the keeper of the flame when it comes to that.

According to Bloomberg, Disney CEO Robert Iger thought the treatments "had a lot of potential."

"Yeah, George, I can definitely see these treatments have a lot of... er, potential. We'll just put them over here in a safe place, okay?

What's that? You're concerned that now the ink's dry, we might treat you as the person who produced, wrote, and directed The Phantom Menace rather than as George Lucas, Genius Auteur? Ha ha! You should have gone into comedy! We would never do that.

Now, this nice man is going to help you find your way out of the building. Disney is a big and busy place, after all. And don't worry--we'll definitely look over those script ideas sometime soon!"

Edited by Vorpal Sword

The less involvement Lucas has with these new films, the better they will be.

You're talking about the guy who came up with it all in the first place.

I don't think star wars could of survived another three Lucas made films, the idea makes me queasy.

It did just fine off of six.

Edited by TIE Pilot

I don't think star wars could of survived another three Lucas made films, the idea makes me queasy.

Know how people ask which is better empire or return, that's because those are the best two and their also the ones Lucas had the least interaction with, Lucas may of shot the footage for hope but it was the editor that made it into a movie not Lucas.

And the prequels are widely considered crap by die hard fans and the casual viewer alike, yeah we were in denial and kept going to the cinema hopeing each time would be watchable but it never was, that's why when he released the 3D phantom menace no one went to see it.

Lucas is not a good director he's barely a competent one just look at red tails, he claimed it was racism that stopped the studio's backing the movie but the truth is they know anything made by him will be terrible, and it was.

He even pitched the idea of "Episode VII" to actor Mark Hamill in the '80s.

Lucas is now serving as a "creative consultant" on the new films. 

Oh god,  the unspoken travesty of those ideas is just seeping through these lines :lol:

the quotation marks just seal the deal

now if you'll excuse me, I need to find my sides

Edited by ficklegreendice

If you ever read Lucas' first draft for A New Hope, or the darkhorse comics adaptation of it "The Star Wars" you'll see how much can change from a preliminary story, to a finished movie. Lucas basically scrapped most of his first story, saving elements to use later in Return of the Jedi and the Phantom Menace. 

Here's a few bits:

The Imperial center world is Alderaan, a gas planet, populated with Cloud Cities

Vader is a General, not a Sith. Vader wants to eliminate Both Jedi & Sith.

Prince Valorum is the Sith.

Annakin Starkiller's dad (Kane) is his Jedi-Bendu master

Kane is a "More machine than man" cyborg.

Luke Skywalker is a 70+ year old general, and takes over as Annikin's master.

Bail Antillies is a smuggler

Princess Liea is not an Organna, and she's away at school, Her little brothers are Biggs and Windy.

The Death Star attack is in the beginning of the story. and it's called the Space Fortress.

Han Solo is a 7 foot tall, green skinned alien with gills instead of a nose.

Wookiees start to whorship Annikin as a god, rather than Ewoks with C3P0

Chewbacca owes a life debt to Annikin

Han & Luke with the help of the wookiees overtake an Imperial base, then train the wookies to fly the Imperial Y-wings

Stardestroyers are 2 man starfighters.

R2-D2 can talk, and he's a jerk (but we could kind of tell anyway)

His two best Star Wars movies were directed by Kershner and Marquand. He relied too heavily on ILM to tell the story in later days and relied less on good casting and directing.

I'm glad for what he broke ground on. Im thankful he's not directly involved with the new material. Mind you, I have no deep love for JJ "Lensflare-rotating-cameras" Abrams either, but we'll see....

My 2 creds.

-Cal

We don't know yet, and may not for decades if ever, what impact Lucas's notes and designs will have on the sequel trilogy.  But given that Disney is committed to keeping Star Wars going and that there will be a LOT more movies in the franchise, it's possible that they had to modify Lucas's original intent to accommodate for those.

In light of how well they've managed the Marvel movies, that's something to have confidence in them with.

He mag have created it...but if kingdom of the crystal skill proved anything beyond a diy t, he has a mighty fine knack for.destroying what he creates...I am glad he isn't involved..hell I wouldn't even keep him around as a "creative consultant" if could help it.

The man deserves the derision he receives...

"Yeah, George, I can definitely see these treatments have a lot of... er, potential. We'll just put them over here in a safe place, okay?

The Best use of the Disney Vault Ever!....... Ever!

No, he really, really doesn't.

TIE Pilot, please, explain.

The facts are that the two films that Lucas had the least to do with are the most loved and critically acclaimed.

The prequel films, which he micro-managed, were the least well received.

Midichorians.  Natalie Portman.  Jar Jar Binks.  Hayden Christensen.  I mean, c'mon, it's like he hit his head or something.

No, he really, really doesn't.

TIE Pilot, please, explain.

The facts are that the two films that Lucas had the least to do with are the most loved and critically acclaimed.

The prequel films, which he micro-managed, were the least well received.

Midichorians.  Natalie Portman.  Jar Jar Binks.  Hayden Christensen.  I mean, c'mon, it's like he hit his head or something.

George Lucas is a fantastic producer and he was innovative when he was getting started. Also I think Natalie Portman was one of the few things he did right with the prequels, that and better saber fighting scenes. 

Edited by Tanarri

For me such that my opinion is...

I like the Original Trilogy the best.  I enjoyed Number 2 and 3 prequels and the pod race from 1.

What I was disappointed about was, when Lucas fix/added all of the special effects no one ever bothered to fix all of the out of sequence editing errors.  There was a boat load in the first two movies Star Wars and RotJ.  The most obvious is when Han's gloats because the Falcon destroyed a blockade before it was even setup as they were trying to escape Hoth.

What I was disappointed about was, when Lucas fix/added all of the special effects no one ever bothered to fix all of the out of sequence editing errors.  There was a boat load in the first two movies Star Wars and RotJ.  The most obvious is when Han's gloats because the Falcon destroyed a blockade before it was even setup as they were trying to escape Hoth.

I'm not familiar with this inconsistency.  Can you elaborate?

Ah, the myth the Lucas had little to do with Star Wars V and VI...

Lucas had a big hand in the script of The Empire Strikes Back. The first draft was written by Leigh Brackett, but this was significantly altered by Lucas. Most important plot points, like Darth Vader being Luke's father, were introduced in this version. Lawrence Kasdan then rewrote Lucas' version. Most changes to the film script still went through Lucas, and he really was involved in every phase.

The script to Return of the Jedi was by Kasdan and Lucas, with uncredited contributions by David Webb Peoples.

Source: Wookieepedia.

There's really no way of checking if Lucas has become incompetent to write a new Star Wars film. In the same vein, you might dislike Bowie's album Pin Ups, but it would be stupid if you'd just assumed that the guy lost his stride.

Real simple here now... THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is the best STAR WARS film ever, and it hold records for being the best sequel in a trilogy, as well as being one of the best science fantasies ever made.

Guess what kids, that is the film GL has stated as his least liked of all the STAR WARS films, and it is also the film that he had the least control over.

The Indianan Jones trilogy was famous and beloved. However, the recent fourth Indianan Jones film was horrible, to the point that even Harrison hates it. GL had the most to say about the forth story this time, where as Spielberg had more control in the first trilogy.

Think about it...

:lol:

Say GL... shut up and sit down you old fool.

:angry: