Sign in to follow this  
sparker

A few new EotE Tools

Hey gang!

Just thought I'd share a few tools I've made for my EotE campaign in case anyone else finds them useful too.

I wasn't wild about any of the NPC sheets I could find online so I made my own, more compact sheet. You can download it by following the instructions at https://github.com/citizenparker/EotE-NPC-Sheet. It has some fanciness around auto-calculating die rolls that only works in recent versions of Adobe Reader (it will *not* work in Chrome or Safari's builtin PDF browsers, for instance)

I also made some Critical Cards to replace the critical hits table. My cards are very inspired by C. Stephen Ross' version but are a little kinder to the players. Full info is at https://github.com/citizenparker/EotE-Critical-Cards but you can see a preview here. These also print up nicely on MakePlayingCards.

Finally I enjoy campaign newsletters for my players so I built a little "Holonet Relay Mail Reader" to deliver news articles about the impacts of their actions on the galaxy. Unlike the first two you'll have to be a little bit more technical if you want to set one up for your group, but you can find all the source at https://github.com/citizenparker/holonet-relay and you can see it live at holonetrelay.herokuapp.com.

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated. I hope this is useful to someone else too. I'm working next on an online character sheet store and generator. If I get something working, I'll share it here too.

Thanks!
SP

I'm going to pass on the NPC sheets, I'm good with what I've got so far, but those do look nice and are clean.  Excellent job on the critical cards, they look awesome and I think I'm going to get them printed at MakePlayingCards (great find!).  I also like the holonet mail reader, but for me I'll probably use a standard printed newsletter for my campaign.  I was planning on a local gazette with a news article about what happened during the session from a reporter's perspective, as well as local flavor articles that can be adventure hooks, or perhaps just ways to spend Destiny points for knowing what else is going on in the neighborhood.

And I’m loving all the rest of this stuff, too! Thank you, sparker!

EDIT: Uh, is it bad news that I just spent nearly thirty minutes looking at your various other github repos, and I have no clue what to do with your vim macros?  ;)

Edited by bradknowles

I'm working next on an online character sheet store and generator. If I get something working, I'll share it here too.

As you’re looking at things in this space, I would encourage you to check out OggDude’s character generator, as well as Aahzmandius_Karrde’s Star Wars RPG Index. There’s lots of good tools around and I’d love to help make this kind of thing happen.

But if there lessons that can be learned from other projects, it would be great to take advantage of that where possible.

Thanks for the kind feedback!

As you’re looking at things in this space, I would encourage you to check out OggDude’s character generator, as well as Aahzmandius_Karrde’s Star Wars RPG Index. There’s lots of good tools around and I’d love to help make this kind of thing happen.

But if there lessons that can be learned from other projects, it would be great to take advantage of that where possible.

I'm a big fan of the Index but I'm actually aiming for something stupider that is just an online character sheet - nothing that enforces XP spend or talents, nothing that has any awareness of what weapons have what actual attacks, etc. This makes life simpler for me as a programmer but also seems like the easiest way to stay on the right side of FFG's legal team (I'm actually surprised that the SW Index hasn't run into trouble given that NetrunnerDB received a cease-and-desist from FFG, but that's a tangent).

I love the NPC sheets, definitely the most useful for my personal style so far.

I'd love to create something like your Holonet Mail Reader for my players, but I'm not a programmer.  Is there an easy/dumbed-down way to create something similar, even if it's a form-fillable website or a PDF/JPEG that I send to my players?

I'm a big fan of the Index but I'm actually aiming for something stupider that is just an online character sheet - nothing that enforces XP spend or talents, nothing that has any awareness of what weapons have what actual attacks, etc.

Fair enough. So long as you know what is out there and why you are going for a particular solution, I think that’s all that anyone can reasonably hope for.

This makes life simpler for me as a programmer but also seems like the easiest way to stay on the right side of FFG's legal team (I'm actually surprised that the SW Index hasn't run into trouble given that NetrunnerDB received a cease-and-desist from FFG, but that's a tangent).

We’ve been very careful not to provide too much information, and not to make it seem like you can use these sites to avoid buying the books. I believe that OggDude has been following the same method.

Personally, I’d love to be able to provide a bit more, but I’d rather be able to provide what we can along these current lines than to be sent a C&D from the lawyers at FFG or Disney/Lucasfilm.

Finally I enjoy campaign newsletters for my players so I built a little "Holonet Relay Mail Reader" to deliver news articles about the impacts of their actions on the galaxy. Unlike the first two you'll have to be a little bit more technical if you want to set one up for your group, but you can find all the source at https://github.com/citizenparker/holonet-relay and you can see it live at holonetrelay.herokuapp.com.

I just checked out the holonet relay and man, that is some very cool stuff!

I love the NPC sheets, definitely the most useful for my personal style so far.

I'd love to create something like your Holonet Mail Reader for my players, but I'm not a programmer.  Is there an easy/dumbed-down way to create something similar, even if it's a form-fillable website or a PDF/JPEG that I send to my players?

Hmm, I can't think of an easy way to do that, unfortunately. Here's the closest:

1. Open up individual webpages in something like Chrome

2. Right click the part of a webpage you want to change and select "Inspect Element"

3. Use the Chrome Inspector to change the text of that element until it reads as you like.

4. Print the page to PDF somehow (on OSX this is built in, I think there's plugins for Windows that do this)

If I have time someday I'll make it editable in a browser rather than having to make changes to the source code and redeploy it, but no promises.