Sign in to follow this  
tomi911

Looking for challenging expansion

Hi,

I'm new Talisman player. I've played a couple of games with Reaper and Dungeon expansions with group of 4-6 people and really enjoyed that ( I'm planning to buy also City and Woodlands when it'll come out in my country), but in addition to such a 'big board' and long games I want to try something for smaller group of players (2-3) with only main board (no corners) + one nice themed expansion which adds some new mechanics to the game (but doesn't make it too complicated), is challenging for players (but not frustrating) and provides compatibility with future additions (especially City and Woodlands). So here is the question: what's in your opinion the best expansion for that: The Dragon, Firelands or Blood Moon?

Regards

Edited by tomi911

I would vote the Blood Moon. But each of those you mention does have some amount of challenge and game-change-mechanics.  I like Blood Moon because of the supernatural/horror themes.

Dragon is the least liked expansion. Many only play it with variants.

Firelands is fun but dangerous, difficult. If there are no other expansion Adventure cards mixed in with it, it makes it even more dangerous. If you have no other board to hide in, even more dangerous.

Bloodmoon is a good choice. Though it is a bit fiddly; flipping the day and night back and forth, over and over again. I like it, but I remove the +1/-1 effect, also I remove the overly Halloween cards when its not actually near Halloween.

Hi,

I'm new Talisman player. I've played a couple of games with Reaper and Dungeon expansions with group of 4-6 people and really enjoyed that ( I'm planning to buy also City and Woodlands when it'll come out in my country), but in addition to such a 'big board' and long games I want to try something for smaller group of players (2-3) with only main board (no corners) + one nice themed expansion which adds some new mechanics to the game (but doesn't make it too complicated), is challenging for players (but not frustrating) and provides compatibility with future additions (especially City and Woodlands). So here is the question: what's in your opinion the best expansion for that: The Dragon, Firelands or Blood Moon?

Regards

If you already own the Reaper and plan to keep the cards shuffled into the Adventure Deck, adding the Firelands expansion will probably be the best choice. Also using all of the Spells provided with Reaper and Dungeon is advisable. You are going to have a challenging game with interesting new mechanics, but expect some of the Fireland Adventure cards to have a huge impact sometimes (e.g. you draw Ifrit Sultan or Ifrit Sultana in the first few turns) and force you and your fellow players to take on their challenge as soon as possible, unless you want to be overwhelmed. This is probably the only expansion where you get the impression that the game is trying to kill you outright.

Blood Moon is a good choice in terms of theme and Lunar Events/Time Card management adds some extra upkeep and complexity without being fiddly. However, I can't say this expansion adds a challenge, since the Day/Night cycle tends to make combat easier or harder, but in the end the -1 to creatures' attack score during Day matters a lot, especially for weak characters trying to gain the first points of Strength and Craft.

Dragon is ok for 2-3 players. Don't expect it to be much compatible with other expansions though, since it tends to overwrite the rest of the game. Even though the rules for placing dragon scales are applied seamlessly to every Region, when Dragon decks are available there's little or no reason to draw from other decks, unless in the early game.

Hello,

I would echo others with a reccomendation of Blood Moon. For me I really like the Day/Night Time card, which can flip from turn to turn, or can stay on day/night for what seems forever. I have all expansions but have still yet to play all of them (haven't played Dragons yet) but when it comes to the smaller expansions we usually play with only 1 (otherwise the adventure deck gets VERY large) - Blood Moon has been our choice for the past month or so and we are all really enjoying getting to fully know and strategise.

The Netherdeck is a lovely little POD expansion which I would highly reccommend as and when or if it gets printed in your country. Fingers crossed you will get everything translated :)

good luck with whatever expansion you choose buddy

"Looking for challenging expansion"

Then only the homebrew ones. Though You might want to play the Firelands with only the core game.

You also might consider buying the Nether Realm, and add a rule that each time a character rolls 1 for their move they draw a card from the Nether deck instead of the Adventure deck (even if they rerolled the movement roll).

Thank you guys for all replies, I'm  gonna definitely consider that. Now i'll take some time to think about it and probably buy something next week. Right now I'm a bit towards Blood Moon (but it's constantly changing) as it adds some more cards and horror theme is at least "ok", but from the other side I dislike the werewolf character and his mechanic. Firelands and all that tokens, ifrits and terrain cards sounds pretty nice for me, but I'm a bit afraid that it can ruin the game, when it comes to play just on main board and everyone won't find a place to regenerate and simply rush CoC at all cost or die trying (but yeah it's sounds like a challenge ;) ).

If you already own the Reaper and plan to keep the cards shuffled into the Adventure Deck, adding the Firelands expansion will probably be the best choice. Also using all of the Spells provided with Reaper and Dungeon is advisable.

That can be a really good thing as burn effect increases chance of draw a new cards, but it not happens so often like in just core deck + Firelands.

You also might consider buying the Nether Realm, and add a rule that each time a character rolls 1 for their move they draw a card from the Nether deck instead of the Adventure deck (even if they rerolled the movement roll).

It's nice idea  too, but Nether Realm expansion offers too litle for me.

Anyway, thanks for help!

Edited by tomi911

Seconded!  The Firelands has been the most challenging small box expansion for us too.  Be warned, however, if you use the Firelands with just the base Adventure deck, you're likely to be incinerated :P.