Sign in to follow this  
slaptac

Imperial Players Unite

Remember to user all of your units abilities, it is easy to forget that the troopers and officer can reroll die when adjacent to other and in the end that can amtter a lot. Good use of Troopers reroll makes their a attack a steady 3-4 dmg instead 2-3

I do have exp. I purchased assault armor thus far, and have 1 now. The problem with the los is that my troops move to slow to get from the deploy points to where the heroes stack up. The jedi uses precise strike to almost one shot anything. The wookie almost always charges then double attacks. Killing nearly anything. They got a ton of money with the first mission and all bought good tier 1 weapons that flipped. The wookie has pierce. Seriously they are really good with tactics finding how to move in the most efficient way and utilizing gideons ability very well.

I do focus fire on the weaker units thats how i wounded them so quickly but then those wounded become bodyguards for the non wounded, basically becoming expendable. They move much faster than my probe droids or troopers. Especially if they're already spaces away from my deploy points. In one turn i deployed an elite nexu and elite probe droid with assault armor, however my targets were behind a T wall about 10 spaces away. I couldnt get los until near adjacent. As far as them stacking up it was on the other side of the board about 15 spaces away. As for the hidden deploy points. There was one thus far in the first mission. The other 2 missions didnt have any.

I remember to use abilities. Honestly I think all the money they got from the first mission and the items, they have been incredibly lucky, they each have upgraded weapons. They even got a medpack that heals alot. The last mission couldnt have gone more perfect. Except if they got the crates. Each moved right where the appropriate terminal was for their best ability. It started out as a slaughter but as soon as they bypassed my droids i couldnt catch them. It feels like I'm just playing try and catch up. Maybe if I played less aggressively and stacked up on the rebels poi's, i can deter them.

I have 1 experience and 3 influence now. Thier next mission is Han's.

Seriously if I loose again this may be it for imperial assault. Its not fun losing, when you also loose influence that you need to be competitive. I've played decent and never had this problem.

Edited by warpi9

I don't know I haven't played a lot already, but if they used wounded heroes as human shield, couldn't you just blast them in withdrawal ?

For my part, after 2 missions, I have yet to win a game but I felt it was very close each time, the mission ending in the final turn. The way you describe how your games went, the rebels have been very lucky.

Sometimes luck's simply not on your side too.

Ok, first off, there is no way the heroes could have made "a ton of credits" after Aftermath. 100 credits per hero if they won (400), plus 50 per crate which is only 100 more (there are only 2 crates). So they cap at 500 credits for the whole party to spend (not per hero, for the WHOLE PARTY). Maybe they're buying one...perhaps two items? And it's not like they can sell the Supply Cards they are getting, if the heroes don't use them, they lose them at the end of that mission.

Second, if the heroes use wounded heroes as shields (which is really, really foolish), then you should absolutely, positively, without question take those wounded heroes out. A withdrawn hero performs no actions, a wounded hero is still a threat.

True i havent though about make ng one withdraw. that could be huge.

3 crates in first mission one of which had valuable goods end of first mission, their credits were 1050.

They got 100/hero for destroying terminals. 100/hero for additional rewards. 150 for crates and another 100 for valuable goods card.

So its possible to get double what you said is max.

The second mission they recovered 1 crate with valuable goods again and got 150 credits.

Another issue I have is they're constantly going to forums and bgg to find best strategies. The other night they were trying to determine which side mission to persue next. And was looking to see if Han was worth the threat he gave if they deployed him.

They're probably reading this. Though they frequent bgg more and hopefully arent looking at the imperial players thread.

Edited by warpi9

Reading up on tactics for specific missions is kinda sh*tty behavior. I discuss general tactics with other Imperials here, but avoid spoilers for missions I havent played. 

Taking a hero out is great. That's two complete actions for the rest of the mission they wont be getting. Denying the rebels usefull activations is what it's all about. Any action spend resting is an action not spend moving, killing or completing objectives. That's also why stun and bleed are great. Royalguard/nexu combo is great. An attack that stuns is damage + action denial, for just a single action on your part. . 

Edited by Hatting

3 crates in first mission one of which had valuable goods end of first mission, their credits were 1050.

They got 100/hero for destroying terminals. 100/hero for additional rewards. 150 for crates and another 100 for valuable goods card.

Woah, really? Did I misread that in the book? It's been a while since I played that mission, so I'm not sure of the exact words, but to use your words, I thought it came out toe 100/hero for destroying terminals, 100 FLAT for additional rewards, 150 for credits and 100 for valuable goods, so it would only be 750. That's still a lot, though.

AHEM.....now that I have the Campaign Guide in front of me...

If the rebels win, they get an extra 100/credits per hero. I too, did not see that.

So, assuming 4 heroes, for a win they would get 400, and then another 400 for playing the mission (win or lose), and 50 per crate, for a total of 950.

They do not get the bonus 400 credits if they lose the mission. It is not "per terminal", either the heroes win and get 800 + crates, or they lose and get 400 + crates.

I gotta ask, when they brought the Rebel Troopers to A New Threat, what did you spend your threat and optional deployment on at the beginning of the game?

Additionally, you complain that the rebels go first and do double moves, ignoring you. That makes me wonder, are you alternating activations (Rebels activate a hero or ally, then the Imperials activate a deployment card) like you are supposed to or are you letting all the rebels do their stuff and then you move all your stuff?

I keep reading whats going on here, and I keep thinking there is something fundamentally wrong with how you are playing the game. I just cant put my finger on it.

Edited by Fizz

Oh man... I have just DEMOLISHED the rebels (4 heroes, Gideon, Gaarkhan, Mak, Jyn) two missions in a row (Fly Solo and Means of Production).

Threat level was 4. I am running a subversive tactics class and oh man...Weary Target, Prey on Doubt, Savage Weaponry, Surgical Strike keep Gaarkhan and Gideon in check. Straining them constantly to the max makes all the difference. Either forcing them to rest or passing up on abilities is awesome. Royal guard and elite stormtroopers really instigate fear.

I have ongoing agendas High Value Target and Tracking Beacon. HVT gives me extra threat when I submit the first hero each mission.

Fly Solo

Close one where the back room door was opened at the end round three. I had positioned my Stormtroopers from the right to the hall before the back room and kept my Trandoshans in front of the back room door only to move them forward before the door opened. The royal guard strained the heroes with the forward stormtroopers and forced them to hole up relatively near the entrance. The strain caused by subversive tactics kept Gideon at bay.

Han made a mad dash from the left side trying to run past all units. He made it all the way to the left hand corner of the map where IG-88 caught up with him and dealt the final blow. The trandoshans had already softened Han up considerably.

MVP: Royal Guard and Subversive Tactics class

Means of Production:

The rebels did not want to give me the reward for free as their other option was Friends of Old. As an optional deployment I deployed my trusty Royal Guard and kept the rebels busy for an extra turn. My probe droid was removed in one shot and the stormtroopers were disposed of. The royal guard was given the savage weaponry when deployed to give extra "oomph" and instead of stun I chose to bleed heroes. Unfortunately the surges were not in my favor. So I did not get to apply conditions as much as I would have liked. Using class abilities I really strained Gaarkhan and Gideon constantly.

After the first door was breached I immediately reinforced the hangar door with a blue token bringing the door health up to a discouraging 16! I managed to wound Gideon earning some extra threat which I used to deploy elite stormtroopers to the bottom right corner after Mak made a run for it. My Royal guard blocked the initial door forcing the rebels to use extra movement points.

After the rebel player split his group due to wounds I knew I had it. He had given up and rested and went for the crates. The last door was reinforced and given eventually a green and yellow token too.

MVP: Subversive Tactics with massive straining, Royal Guard blocking the path to the hangar and Elite Stormtroopers blocking the siderout from Mak and Gaarkhan.

The defense dice were in my favour slightly but not by much. Utilizing the protector ability was crucial as well as Prey on Doubt. The rebels had ups and downs with attack but my relatively good defense dice helped me more. Massive straining is really helping. We are both still learning so we might not make the best decisions.

So far the campaign is 3-3 with me winning a story mission 1 and 2 and my agenda side mission.

Edited by Krankenstein

Yeah, I just played Fly Solo and Means of Production against my group, and won pretty easily as well.  Frankly, I don't know how in the world the Rebs are supposed to win Means of Production--it wasn't even close.  I mean, I paid three influence for it, so I guess it should be difficult for them, but I have to say that if I were to play Rebels knowing exactly what was in store on that map, I don't know what strategy I could possibly dream up to beat it.

Fly Solo they did manage to get Han to within three squares of the entrance, but I had just left IG standing there, and had probes and guards closing in, so I took him down.

In my campaign the Rebs won the first two (Aftermath and the Adrenal stim side mission, which seems pretty easy, especially on low threat), but I've won three in a row since then. 

Means of production

1. Do not open the first door as your last activation if possible.

2. Commit to your planned route.

A) hammer the first door with all your might and finish it if you started it

B) take the detour with your entire group and stick together. You will come under fire but you really need to only interact with the datacore

Double movement shakes most imperials from your tail and prevents them usually from attacking. Especially if IP chose melee deployments.

At least that is how I would handle it. Both ways are risky but if you don't even try, you can't succeed. :)

I'm playing the role of Imperial in our game, and the balance (while great in my opinion) seems to be tipping in my favor. 

I was just wondering, as we started playing the game me as Imperial player, without any proper prep, I just took Military might as my class deck, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this, because man, causing the rebels to get strained is a great help in every mission because my rebels really really really love using it.

So am I boned, because I have the wrong deck, or does anyone have some tips for me?

I'm not doing to bad, winning 2 out of 3 missions so far, but one of the missions they made a mistake and the other it could've gone both ways (which is the way I like it)

thanks in advance! Loving this thread!

I think military might is pretty straight forwad, haven't got that far in the campaign yet though. I pickedboth Shock grenades and combat medic, but have not yet used Combat medic, but I think it will become great when I have an important figure to heal. Shock grenade is harder because you often have to choose to either use it or attack (the first action being a move) and even when you use it the rebels can still avoid it. Causing 3-4 strain for a single action would be great though. 

I've picked the one that gives one of your figures focus for a turn, and have used it to devastating effect, also I've now taken the one that gives my regular "cheap" troopers +2 health making them far harder to take out with Fen's annoying blast attack.

But still trying to figure stuff out, and when we started I had not realized the greater effect of giving the rebels more strain than is good for them.

Combat medic sounds like a good one for end game, haven't looked into shock grenade though.

Edited by Nafmi

I played one campaign with the Military Might class deck and lost all mission except of the last two story missions and so won the campaign. My experience is Assault Armor and Combat Veterans are really good, especially on the same regular or elite stormtrooper. Combat Medic sounded good on paper, but I could never use it efficiently. Sustained fire is really good, especially if you need just a little bit more damage or know that the unit will die after the activation anyway. The rest I could not test. My thoughts for some of them are:
Riot Grenades seemed weak, but both heroes I play against where good in insight.
I think Endless Ranks is good the sooner you get it.
Shock Troopers seems sub par as trooper units have not many cool surge abilities and I liked to use storm trooper at a distance.

Edited by Luther Engelsnot

Assault armor, IMHO, is the "must take" 2 XP upgrade in Military Might early on, as it gives +2 health to each model in the attached unit. Normal stormtroopers with 5 health instead of 3 tend to get one-shotted far less often. And paired with "Show Of Force" which lets one figure per round become focused, you have many more options with which to hurt the rebels. And because it is an attachment, you never have to worry about "losing" the armor if the squad does get wiped out.

I like giving "Show of Force" to the E-Web, just for the simple fact that for one attack, I can shout out "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!!" (because with Focus it is rolling one of each colored attack die), and watch a rebel blow up into millions of skittles.

Edited by Fizz

I like giving "Show of Force" to the E-Web, just for the simple fact that for one attack, I can shout out "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!!" (because with Focus it is rolling one of each colored attack die), and watch a rebel blow up into millions of skittles.

Totally going to say this next time! With my best Vader voice of course.

Is anyone playing against Finn in the campaign?! That guy...let me tell you. The way my buddy spent his XP and credits has made Finn an offensive power house. I'm not sure the exact combination of cards, but he is doing 6+ damage (Depending on the roll) on his first attack. He has to exhaust a handful of cards to do so, but nothing of mine is safe in his LOS. After that the second attack is normal...but man that first shot will wipe out most units!

I just say a quick prayer for my guys before he rolls...cause it's bad.

I played one campaign with the Military Might class deck and lost all mission except of the last two story missions and so won the campaign. My experience is Assault Armor and Combat Veterans are really good, especially on the same regular or elite stormtrooper. Combat Medic sounded good on paper, but I could never use it efficiently. Sustained fire is really good, especially if you need just a little bit more damage or know that the unit will die after the activation anyway. The rest I could not test. My thoughts for some of them are:

Riot Grenades seemed weak, but both heroes I play against where good in insight.

I think Endless Ranks is good the sooner you get it.

Shock Troopers seems sub par as trooper units have not many cool surge abilities and I liked to use storm trooper at a distance.

I'll look into Endless Ranks, as I don't remember what it does, and combat veterans sounds good to, I like buffing up the troopers because they are so cheap to field, so making them a force that needs to either feared or dealt with, is a win in my stalling game...:)

Assault armor, IMHO, is the "must take" 2 XP upgrade in Military Might early on, as it gives +2 health to each model in the attached unit. Normal stormtroopers with 5 health instead of 3 tend to get one-shotted far less often. And paired with "Show Of Force" which lets one figure per round become focused, you have many more options with which to hurt the rebels. And because it is an attachment, you never have to worry about "losing" the armor if the squad does get wiped out.

Yep Assault armor and Show of force all the way, I also love giving show of force to the elite nexu...you should see the fear in their eyes...so many surges so many things to do with it...;)

"taste the rainbow"...yeah, that's happening.