Sign in to follow this  
TasteTheRainbow

Needed: 1 and 2 Point Modifications

I think disposable modifications would hit the 1 and 2 point mark.

Something like Adrenaline rush for actions or attacks would be nice.

"When overlapping a ship or obstacle would cause you to skip your Perform Action step you may discard this card instead." 

"While in base to base contact with an enemy ship you may discard this card to declare them as a legal target"

Or maybe for ordnance

"When using a secondary weapon than requires a focus or target lock token to attack, you may instead discard this card in lieu of possessing the specified token"

EDIT: Tweaked some wording.

Edited by WWHSD

"When overlapping a ship or obstacle would cause you to skip your Perform Action step you may discard this card instead." 

"While in base to base contact with an enemy ship you may discard this card to declare them as a legal target"

Or maybe for ordnance

"When using a secondary weapon than requires a focus or target lock token to attack, you may instead discard this card in lieu of possessing the specified token"

Interesting thought on that last one.  It surely would help bombers get their TLs (which seems to be a large problem with low PS alpha strike lists).  And it would also help higher PS pilots that perhaps have ways to get TL+F... they can now keep that TL for the attack.  But it's still making ordnance more expensive.  I could potentially see it working at 1pt, but my gut tells me it should be 2pts, since it's basically a free action.  (For reference, Deadeye is 1pt and gets rid of that acquiring a TL issue as well, but doesn't give a free action as this does).

I think 1-2 point, 1-off countermeasure modifications would be great for a dogfighting game.

Electronic Countermeasures

Modification

Action: You may remove a red target lock from your ship and assign one evade token to your ship. Then discard this card.

2 Points

Chaff Flare

Modification

After your opponent rolls attack dice, you may choose 1 die. Your opponent must reroll that die. Then discard this card.

Some of the suggestions are good here, but could easily be auto-include in a TIE Swarm. Can you imagine being able to declare a target you're bumping? There should be some sort of penalty to justify the low point cost, even though it's discardable. Four TIEs bumping a large target could still cause for some crazy shots damage at a relatively low penalty of 1 squad point per modification.

Maybe:

"ACTION: You may perform this action even while bumping an enemy ship. After executing your maneuver, if you bumped an enemy ship, you may receive one stress token to declare that ship the target of your attack. Then, discard this card."

Or maybe for ordnance

Interesting thought on that last one.  It surely would help bombers get their TLs (which seems to be a large problem with low PS alpha strike lists).  And it would also help higher PS pilots that perhaps have ways to get TL+F... they can now keep that TL for the attack.  But it's still making ordnance more expensive.  I could potentially see it working at 1pt, but my gut tells me it should be 2pts, since it's basically a free action.  (For reference, Deadeye is 1pt and gets rid of that acquiring a TL issue as well, but doesn't give a free action as this does).

You don't discard Deadeye though. You can use it as many times as you've got ordnance to fire. 

I wasn't sure if those would be 1 or 2 points but figured that discarding the card lets you make it a decent one time ability without making it expensive or an auto-include.

Or maybe for ordnance

You don't discard Deadeye though. You can use it as many times as you've got ordnance to fire. 

I wasn't sure if those would be 1 or 2 points but figured that discarding the card lets you make it a decent one time ability without making it expensive or an auto-include.

But a single ordnance is hardly ever used, nevertheless two.  So it might as well be a one use item.  When it came out in W2, only the Y wing had two ordnance slots.  And since then, the rarely used bomber, and the "i forgot it even had torpedo slots" B wing have added to that.  So it might as well be a discard upon use card.

I like this 1 pt mods concept - I've created plenty of 99 pt lists. I like the countermeasures idea, but I'm not sure the ability to ignore target locks once is enough to justify the point. Possibly it might be worth including if it worked repeatedly, but ordnance is rare enough as it is, and seeing ships with multiple occupied ordnance slots is rarer still. And, of course, there's already Munitions Failsafe as a pretty decent 1 pt missile mod.

An alternate, 2pt modification idea applicable to munitions might be:

"Extended Magazine: Any duplicate missiles or proton torpedoes equipped have their points cost reduced by 4 (to a minimum of zero)."

This would drop the cost of secondary weapons on dedicated missiles/torpedo boats, and might make it viable to fill multiple slots (which currently almost never happens). It would be particularly valuable on the TIE Bomber, which has duplicate missile and torpedo slots. It might also have applicability to any future Assault Gunboat our Missile Boat expansions FFG might put out (I'm assuming the potential exists for three missile slots).

I also like the base to base contact idea. ArdusKaibe's stress token idea is good, but an alternative way to weaken the card might be:

"While in base to base contact with an enemy ship you may discard this card to declare them as a legal target. Treat your attack as if at Range 3."

How about this for a one point mod:

"Afterburners: Action: Perform a boost manoeuvre using the 2 straight or two bank template. Then discard this card."

Edited by MacchuWA

Energy Drink: 1 point. When you would gain a Focus or Evade token from any source, you may discard this card to gain a second token of the same kind.

Crash Helmet: 1 point. When you are dealt a Critical Damage card with the Pilot sub-type, you may discard this card to discard the damage card without resolving its effect.

Recent Maintenance Check: 2 points. When you reveal a Red maneuver, you may immediately discard this card to make that maneuver White.

Reserve Fuel Tanks: 2 points. Action: Perform a free Boost action. Then discard this card.

Cockpit Decorations: 1 point. Immediately after you receive a Stress token, you may discard this card to remove one Stress token.

On several occasions I have lamented the lack of a 1 straight for many ships, how about:

Retro thrusters: 2 points (maybe 1 point and make it unique)

If you reveal a 2 straight manoeuvre you may perform a white 1 straight instead.

Niche enough that it wouldn’t be an auto include but broad enough that it might actually get used “Looks at Munitions Failsafe”

Also a fan of a 1 point, 1 shot boost mod, similar to inertial dampeners

How about a small ship only mod that allows you to take 2 in tokens before becoming ionised? Seems like a nice bit of a counter for some lista that might struggle with ion, but the ship it's potentially powerful on, the phantom, would have to choose between this and AND.

Spaarti cilinder: you may include a second copy of a unique crew card.

That's very OP

2xC3PO

2xRebel Captive

2xR2D2

Just to mention a few really game breaking ones

It was not a very serious suggestion. But I'd make it "Imperial only" anyway. Edited by Lingula

I think 1-2 point, 1-off countermeasure modifications would be great for a dogfighting game.

Electronic Countermeasures

Modification

Action: You may remove a red target lock from your ship and assign one evade token to your ship. Then discard this card.

2 Points

Chaff Flare

Modification

After your opponent rolls attack dice, you may choose 1 die. Your opponent must reroll that die. Then discard this card.

Be careful I stated something like this before, and the whole board went crazy on me.  

Good luck

Oooh... I quite like this. It's a mod which means you couldn't stack it with Munitions Failsafe, so it wouldn't boost ordinance too much, but just enough to encourage some more missiles and torpedoes in tournament lists.