Sign in to follow this  
MyNeighbourTrololo

Shall We Turn East or West?

1)  When I first started reading the article, with its flavor text from just after The Road Darkens I was sure the article was going to be about Treason of Saruman.

2)  The encounter card side quests seem largely diversionary but we'll see.  Make Camp - "You can't heal, but in a turn or two we heal three for you."  It's not clear to me what happens if we simply ignore the side quest.  Maybe a re-read will clear that up.

3)  Player card side quests worry me in that I really dislike it when we get three copies of a card that say "limit one per deck".  I hope that is not over done.

It seems that if you ignore the side quest, it will stay in the staging area for the rest of the game with any game text being in effect. So with Make Camp, if you never choose to complete it, then you won't be able to heal anyone for the rest of the game.

It seems that if you ignore the side quest, it will stay in the staging area for the rest of the game with any game text being in effect. So with Make Camp, if you never choose to complete it, then you won't be able to heal anyone for the rest of the game.

Looks like you're right:   "An encounter side quest may have an incredibly detrimental effect on the overall game state if left uncompleted, but players may still choose to ignore them in favor of placing progress on the main quest."

All of that can be done with locations too...

Edited by Bullroarer Took

I wonder if this is partially meant to address the problem of 3 and 4 player games where you can only travel to and explore one location per round.  These side quests can have effects like locations, but now you can explore a side quest and a location each round.

Looks like you're right:   "An encounter side quest may have an incredibly detrimental effect on the overall game state if left uncompleted, but players may still choose to ignore them in favor of placing progress on the main quest."

All of that can be done with locations too...

At the locations you can place progress tokens through Asfaloth, Northern Tracker, so its diffrent like side quests. And you lose one round or more to finish side quest.

Edited by 13thcaesar

I love the idea behind player side quests! It's a shame this box only brings one. Hopefully the cycle will porvide us with more player side quests, or, even better, they become a permanent thing in the game, as a new card type should be.

Edited by Gizlivadi

it would be cool if the side quests in the future affect the main quest, eg. in the final stage of main quest you fight with the boss and his guardian, but you can  complete  side quest - kill guardian -  before final stage, and then in the final stage boss fight alone without this guardian.

I like the idea of side quests as locations that won't get you location locked, but there's a problem with that: They surge! So unless they've heavily toned down the location count, I think it's still going to be a problem.

And more `limit 1 per deck` player cards. I hate that design.

The only problem I have with "Limit 1 per deck" cards is the fact that I, a single handed solo player, am getting two useless copies. As cards themselves, I don't have a problem. Side quests are NOT meant to be your most important staple card that you should mulligan for. They're more situational and add space for a divergence in the quest itself, which should be limited. They're supposed to help you out once or twice at most, and not in an essential way. I'm totally fine with these new cards, and player quests in general was something I had ben expecting for a while. Also, the art on all these cards looks fantastic!

I also hope that future player side quests are not thematically specific or tied to a specific theme, but are more or less "generic" things that you do in a normal quest, such as take refuge, go hunting for food, or as we saw, gather information.

Edited by Gizlivadi

I wonder how these player side quest cards will be added into adventure packs... they bear no sphere, so my bet is that they will take up neutral slot. I hope they won't push out anything sphered from the game.

They almost look like Boons in the coloring and framework.

Yea, side quests = location, but with no threat, and it can be active in addition to a location. Of course, the lack of threat is mostly mitigated by the surge.

Honestly, we should just change the rules so that you can have 1 active location per player, or something along those lines. Then we can just skip these side quests. I love the idea of side quests as player cards, but honestly, they should just be attachments that attach to the quest or active location.

Looks great! I really really like side-quests coming to this game! I always love sidequests in videogames and tend to finish them all before the main ones. 

So, if I understand correctly, say Gather Information is in the staging area and I choose that as the active quest card, all 'extra' progress is just not placed anywhere?

I am not a really big fan of side quest player cards. I takes away an extra slot in your deck and then sits in the staging area. I preferred if it would be more mobile, like some sort of condition attachment to the current quest card.

Also, I hope for more new spoilers of the player cards. :) We've seen some, but more would be great. :)

Looks like this will be their first release on time, doesn't it?

I wonder how these player side quest cards will be added into adventure packs... they bear no sphere, so my bet is that they will take up neutral slot. I hope they won't push out anything sphered from the game.

It better not effect the player card dispersion. It should simply be an extra card (similar to boons) that happens to have a player card backing but not effecting the usual 3 copies of 27 player cards.

I too am excited for these side quests, it will add more replayability it seems and fun choices and theme.. these stupid undead keep appearing and killing us let's go to the tomb and end this! I love that! :)

The player card side quests I'm definitely less excited for, that one copy means they'll rarely show up but it will be exciting when they do :)

The reason I like the player side quests is because I like card type balance in the game. From a certain perspective, we have player enemies and player treacheries/shadow cards, I like that now we have player quests, that represent actual quest stages you have in your deck and can choose to go through, and that let us interact with the quest cards themeselves, apart from just adding progress, just like we can interact with enemies and treacheries with allies and events. Now we only need player locations. Anyway, these are a theme home run IMO. And yes, I hope they are just another extra player card in packs. Hopefully by the end of the cycle, if they decide this to be just a cycle thing, we have a decent number of side quests to tinker with.

I'm looking forward to the mechanic. I think its something that will impact three and four player games much more than solo or two-player. Like most, I thought the player card quests were kinda blah. I was thinking I would never play them. But, there are many quests where there are times when you purposefully try to not complete a stage. These player quests would help a great deal with those. Buying you more time to build-up before the new stage alters the rules or drops enemies on you.

This quest idea is really amazing.!

Only one thing is disturbing me…..

You will get a box , win all the quests from first attempt without any problems and put box on a shelf to wait until Nightmare come for that box to really enjoy the game…. That become annoying to me….

Edited by Glaurung

Love the side-quest mechanic, and cannot wait to see it developed in this cycle - together with the Dunedin trait! I must say that I am more excited about this the the Saga expansion, although that may change as we get to see more of it in upcoming previews...

Either way, go Angmar!

This quest idea is really amazing.!

Only inr thing is disturbing me…..

You will get a box , win all the quests from first attempt without any problems and put box on thr shelf to wait until Nightmare comed for that box to really enjoy the game…. Is become annoying… to me….

It's hard to be a god...