Sign in to follow this  
KnightShift

X-Wing Alliance now on GOG.com!

Cool! X-wing Alliance was a great game and I still have my original game disc. Will probably buy on gog just for showing support.

edit: X-wing vs. TIE Fighter was pretty bad but it does look like they included the single player expansion. Thumbs up for doing that.

edit 2: I wonder how well the network code works for these games.

Edited by Scurvy Lobster

edit: X-wing vs. TIE Fighter was pretty bad but it does look like they included the single player expansion. Thumbs up for doing that.

You take that back sir!

X-wing vs TIE Fighter was and still is amazing. I played the absolute nuts off of that game when I was a kid. It's major problem was a lack of a central narrative, which was fixed with Balance of Power. X-wing Alliance is also excellent, though I don't think I put as many hours into that as XvT. Didn't so much enjoy the family missions, though I think they would appeal to me more now.

There is at least one website that has been playing the game since it came out.  Fans have revamped all the graphic files to update them to better standards.  So, you can actually play the game with better graphics than it has right now.  I know they add in a whole slew of extra stuff, too. 

You know, I am getting some cash tonight and was wondering what to spend it on.  I do need a joystick.

Edited by heychadwick

now I guess i need a joystick again....

About to commit blasphemy here ...

But in my defense, I am a hell of a lot older than most of you ...

I have never played any of these games.  If I do get them, is a joystick strongly recommended?

If I do get them, is a joystick strongly recommended?

I think it's required. I don't remember for sure, but I don't think you can play either game with anything other than a keyboard. Even if you could, I'd still say you should get one, even a $15-#20 one should be good enough.

For those who still have the original XW:A game, it's playable on a modern machine, but requires some work.  There's a community at http://www.xwaupgrade.com/ that has done great things, beyond making it work to new ship models other goodies.

GOG is pretty good about porting old games in a functional way too- I've got the original X-wing from them and it works.  I'll be torn when I move up to Alliance, as we've already got something workable for that.

the xwa upgrade website has screengrabs from it.  they are accurate.  the install process for this is now really easy as they have an exe file that does an auto-install.  i know it works with the cd version, it will probably work with the gog version with a little bit of tweaking 

If you find good joysticks, please post here.  I'm looking and think that maybe a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is best?  I want one with a thrust controller on it, though. 

the 3D extreme pro does have thrust control.

it's the best stick within the low end price range.