Sign in to follow this  
pinstrum

Recommendation for an addition - single rebel ship

Hi there, 

So I'm collecting rebel whilst a friend of mine does imperial. We each bought a core set, then I bought the x-wing and rebel aces expansions whilst he bought a phantom and the imperial aces expansions

After a few sessions with the above I'm starting to feel the need for one more ship just to be able to truly mix things up, and am having some difficulty working out what to go for so was hoping that I might get some positives/negatives on here...

My first though was either an A-wing or B-wing expansion would be the logical choice - more options for pilots on the ships I got in aces, plus having more than one of a ship other than an X-wing would be nice for some genuine variation in squad setup. However, I also thought a  Y-wing could be fun as presumably it would play pretty differently to the 3 ships I have already, and then the E-wing looked pretty interesting too.....

Can anyone give me some of thoughts on what they think be the best to buy first? I'm not looming specifically for a counter to what my friend plays, just something that will compliment my existing list.

Thanks

Do you have an X-wing expansion? Great pilots come in that.  The Falcon is probably your best bet.  The Y-wing is about to get some new toys, so that too is a good pick up.  Honestly, unless you REALLY like A-wings, I wouldn't pick up a second A-wing.  Named B-wing pilots are expensive and the Blues are where you get the most bang for your buck.

Hmmm... I don't think there's a particular wrong answer here if your main aim is expanding your playing horizons as opposed to countering a particular problem as every ship has it's pro's and con's. For what it's worth here's a few initial thoughts;

(Oh and I'm assuming you don't want to include any large base ships as you haven't mentioned any so I'll rule them out of this response)

Many lists (of only small ships) tend to have multiples of at least one ship type (like AAXX, XXBB etc etc) so a second A/B would nicely compliment your current collection (and give you access to more pilot cards for the A/B you already have).

Alternatively it's nice to give every ship of your faction a go as you may find you particularly like the way a certain ship flies (the exact ship will often depend on your own preferred flying style-I know people who love Awings and hate BWings and vice versa so this'll just be something you'll have to discover for yourself). In this situation if you can borrow a couple of ships you will be able to figure out your preferred new ship type before forking out the cash for one (and potentially avoiding buying the wrong one to begin with...)

One thing you may want to consider is what ships you like the look of or what ships have fond memories for you (I fly Y-wings a lot when I do fly rebel 'cos they really appeal to me as the plucky outdated underdog, they somehow fit being the backbone of an under-funded ragtag alliance more than any other rebel ship...)

Of the ships you don't own it might be worth mentioning the style of ship they are in case you know your style and borrowing isn't an option;

E-Wings ~ Xwing toughness and firepower with Awing manouverability. Great everywhere, jousting or arc dodging dogfighter. Major drawback is points cost.

Y-wing - slow, not very manouverable, tough as old boots, can upgrade to use a turret (only to range 2 mind you), so reasonable jousting (lack firepower to be great) and actually ok dogfighting if you have a turret.

Z95 - like a cheaper version of an xwing with matching drop in quality. Essentially a cheap swarm ship (and if you are only buying one ship probably not the one to go for as they usually function better in groups-unless you're utilizing one of the unique pilots like Blout).

Hope this helps a little and welcome to the fun;-)

I meant it when I said your choice won't really matter-You'll buy them all... We all do... It's a pandemic...:-/

Thanks for that. 

From a fan's point of view it would be awesome to have one of each "-Wing" -type ship. I too like the idea of a Y-Wing, and there's some definite appeal to the thought of working out how to best use a "Wallowing Pig" in-game

Not heard much about the E-Wing, but the pilot Corran Horn has some nostalgia value from the EU Rogue Squadron books. I might save that one for later though with the price, as I already have enough trouble working out where to save points on ships at the moment....

I'm fairly certain I'll pick up a second A-Wing at some point as it seems that it would be simple to run 2 of them without feeling as though I'm sacrificing elsewhere, plus throwing that speed/maneuverability in there when I first got the rebel aces pack was a lot of fun from a tactical perspective, Also it was my favorite ship to fly in X-Wing vs Tie Fighter which is a nice bonus

Long story short currently a split decision between a Y and a second A....if I can't choose i'll just flip a coin :)

Oh, and Stone37 - I have seen the falcon but it will most likely just be a spontaneous buy if there's an opportune moment rather that a planned purchase - we're both focusing on the smaller ships for the time being

The E-wing I think would be a very good option due to the price. You can load up Corran horn to be almost half your squadron in a viable list! R2D2, Pust the Limit and Advanced Sensors are great on him! (you will get Advanced Sensors in E-Wing and your friend should have Push the Limit).The next best is prob the B-wing expansion (or x-wing for the new pilots if you have not gotten it). Whatever you pick I'm sure you will have a blast with!

No question about it, get an E-wing

you want outmaneuver for Wedge. 

Wedge Antilles (29)
  Outmaneuver (3)
  R2 Astromech (1)
Biggs Darklighter (25)
  R2-D2 (4)
  Hull Upgrade (3)
Blackmoon Squadron Pilot (29)
  Advanced Sensors (3)
  R7-T1 (3)
Total: 100

Wedge Antilles (29)
  Outmaneuver (3)
  R7-T1 (3)
Biggs Darklighter (25)
  R2 Astromech (1)
Corran Horn (35)
  Engine Upgrade (4)
Total: 100

Edited by gabe69velasquez

If cost is no issue I suggest the Transport, the X-Wing Pilots and accompanying Astromechs would bolster any future purchases with Astromech Slots. 

It also opens up some thematic lists (Pre-Yavin) Biggs-Wedge-Porkins or Battle of Hoth Luke-Wedge-Wes. 

Also 3rd X-Wing. 

If you are on a budget Either an A-Wing or an E-Wing. Corran Horn as mentioned is one of the most solid ships in the game. E'tahn is the Rebel "Howlrunner" to an extent.  

The A-Wing gets you Tycho Celchu who when combined with Push The Limit is the Rebel version of Vader. You also gain PTL in the pack which opens a number of options with anyone pilot with an EPT slot and multiple action options (not that simply Focus + Target Lock aren't strong; they are.)

Edited by IvlerIin

My serious suggestion is 3-4 of each small based ship. Not right away, but I do recommend planning for it. I think a great squad for a Rebel player has got 2 B-Wings with Advanced Sensors. The best way for a Rebel player to get that card is... The E-Wing expansion.

So that's what I would do next: E-Wing. And then a second B-Wing. The good/weird bit is that the best upgrade for Corran Horn is Fire Control System. You'll find that in a B-Wing pack. Maybe buy them together. :)

An Advance Sensors B-Wing hits hard and maneuvers like mad. Unfortunately, the only way to get an HLC is with a Large ship, but you can ignore it for now.

Consider a HWK 290. It's not a glamorous ship, but you will end up with a turret and some super cool support abilities that will really assist whatever other ships you throw into the mix. Also, it plays differently enough to give you the diversity you're looking for.

Plus, it's somewhere to put those crew cards you got in Rebel Aces. :)

My best purchase when I did not have a lot of ships yet was the Millennium Falcon. Very powerful, worth a lot of points but not overpriced. Your friend might not like it - it's difficult to beat!

Other than that, I think the best choice is whatever appeals to you. I would not let upgrade cards be a major consideration, since you can look them up online and just copy the rules rather than play with the actual card. The ship itself is, I think, the most important consideration, and maybe the pilot. It is nice to play with ships you really like.