Sign in to follow this  
Gizlivadi

Things to expect from The Lost Realm and Angmar Awakened

Ok, so I have thought about this expansion and cycle for a while, and it really looks really promising. So without yet a new preview, I still want to encourage a discussion about this. Plus, there's tons of hints in both the announcement and the description page.

So far I think we can expect: Tons of enemy engaging shenanigans is what most sticks out, plus we have spoilers. I am truly expecting a Tactics-Lore-Leadership deck a la Silvan emerge to power, since pretty much anything that uses Aragorn and Leadership ca be pretty bonkers with STWB, and the allies spoiled so far have good willpower. And there's the fact that coincidentally there are 3 options for Aragorn in that deck, which makes it pretty interesting. I also think we'll get a new Leadership hero in The Lost Realm, hopefully Halbarad. That'd be so cool, this is the perfect time for him to appear. Also the new "Encounter" keyword cards that get shuffled into the encounter deck. The page says that Ranger of the North "intruduces" that keyword, so we'll probablyhave events or attachments. It's gonna be maybe a bit fiddly but I've always loved allies that appear from the encounter deck. And finally side quests, which also look really interesting, but I hope that they'll be more that just location cards in practice.

Also from a lore perspective, hopefully not only the Dunedain as great trackers and hunters, which is cool alright, but also their ties to Númenor and Elendil and all the epic Second Age stuff. An Elendilmir or Palantir attachment card would be just perfect.

Yet another edit: for heroes in the cycle, I'd like to see really obscure characters, and some old characters come to life again. We definately need a new Brand hero, in another sphere though, with a cool ability and he comes with the title "King of Dale" attachment. Theoden needs a new incarnation as well IMO, maybe Leadership but I'd really like to see him in Spirit. As for obscure characters, spoiler alert: we know that the aformentioned Brand and his buddy Dain were slain pretty much in the middle of the time period this game is allowed to use, so we could also have their heirs Bard II and Thorin Stonehelm. That'd be really cool, and could flesh out many new archetypes. But these are mostly my hopes.

Edited by Gizlivadi

I'm really hoping for other player cards that effect different game regions, like the encounter keyword. I would really like cards like:

- put a card from the encounter discard pile into the victory display
- attachment or conditions on quest cards

- player cards that require the top card of the encounter deck to be put in play as part of their cost
- havens (player card locations)

- etc. :)

Edited by jormungandr

I'm really looking forward to this cycle - I hope Noldor gets some love along with the Dúnedain, but I really hope the Dúnedain trait gets buffed. We've already seen some really nifty mechanics when it comes to engagement etc. A proper Dúnedain scrying, trapping and support deck would be great fun to play.

We know we're getting a Tactics Aragorn. I'm hoping for new hero versions of the hobbits, and maybe of the elves in Rivendell and Mithlond. Glorfindel already has two incarnations, of course (no pun intended) and Elrond can already pay for any ally, but you never know. Maybe a hero version of Arwen (though I love the ally)? 

If we get a hero Cirdan, I'll quite literally explode. Give him Narya as well, and make it possible to attach it to Gandalf. As it "kindles the hearts of the free peoples", it might provide a willpower or health buff to allies or something. If so, it should probably cost around 3 resources like StwB for Aragorn.

That's daydreaming, though. A Halbarad hero feels like a good bet.

Edited by Olorin93

I would love to have a pack that comes with Saruman hero and his staff and ring, and I would also love to see more "artifice" or "corruption" themes, with the Palantiri and magic rings. I would have thought that Doomed was going to be that theme but I was really disappointed. Depending on whether we get a smattering like in the last cycle or if we are restricted to the region the next cycle will take place on, I think a Círdan hero is almost a given. Expect him to come with Narya.

I would like to see more creature allies, at least few of them and i also like those traps which i got from the last four packs of the shadow cycle. Maybe more ents too and also new quest mechanics and keywords. And like Bullroarer Took already said, Arwen hero. I would really like to see her as hero  :wub:

Yeah, more creature allies! I find it a shame that the Ents don't have that trade, so they don't work with Radagast. Would have made him a bit more playable outside Eagle decks. Of course, Treebeard has the same resourcepool ability, but still.. And I would like some more Hobbit allies too, unnamed characters. 

Yeah, more creature allies! I find it a shame that the Ents don't have that trade, so they don't work with Radagast. Would have made him a bit more playable outside Eagle decks. Of course, Treebeard has the same resourcepool ability, but still.. And I would like some more Hobbit allies too, unnamed characters.

I suppose Radagast need to be revised. We need some bew version if him which can be playable. Current version is completely unplayable

I suppose Radagast need to be revised. We need some bew version if him which can be playable. Current version is completely unplayable

Wrong

Wrong

Yeah, I think he could serve some purpose in an Eagle deck with cards like Wizard Pipe, Flame of Anor and Word of Command. Particularly if we can find a way to lower his cost - how about Grima? Coupled with Elrond, Radagast's healing ability could definitely make a difference.

Edited by Olorin93

Lots of comments in this thread about Radagast being revised.... what about Radagast as a Neutral hero like Gandalf? And maybe another neutral hero like Saruman?

So just thinking out loud.... a hero combo of Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast with access to the entire range of cards (bearing any specific key words being required).

Too powerful??? 

The Blue Wizards! :o I hope they will appear in a cycle that 'Turns East" to Harad or something, that would be epic!

For this cycle I would also really like new creatures and of course more Ents! ENTWIVES from the Old Forest.  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Halbarad would be great but I am also really hoping for some new FFG heroes. I like the 'alternate history'/'adding more lore' a lot. It's actually the number one reason why I play this game. Idraen was great (with that added history) and so are the others. 

Certainly wouldn't mind the fleshing out of the Isengard trait more. What we have = mwha. Possibilities = huge. (still waiting for those Dunland allies)

I also would like to see some Hobbit allies. Not really much actual Hobbit allies, and maybe some more men from Bree or wandering Dwarves. 

We also need more cool weapon attachments and what better place to give them then in the Lost Realm of Arnor.  I really like the setting. I loved the BFME 2 RoTW expansion and that struggle between the Witch King and the Dunedain. 
Palantiri would be great too and thematic.

Halbarad would be great but I am also really hoping for some new FFG heroes. I like the 'alternate history'/'adding more lore' a lot. It's actually the number one reason why I play this game. Idraen was great (with that added history) and so are the others.

I think we might see 1 FFG made hero per cycle from now on. Just a hunch though...

And I guess these will be female, to get more female characters into the mix, which is good.

While I don't care much one way or the other, if I could choose, I'd rather see authentic characters.

I don't agree. Adding new character deepens the FFG universe. A game like this is an interpretation and will always have situations that are ludicrous (eagles flapping around in khazad dum in spare hoods and cloaks for instance). Trying to remain 'true' to the original only restricts the ways the game an go. I really would like a search for entwives led by treebeard, cattle hunting in Rhûn or a seabound adventure around elves trying to get to zee fazerland :)

I really would like a search for entwives led by treebeard, cattle hunting in Rhûn or a seabound adventure around elves trying to get to zee fazerland :)

Excellent suggestion. Seabound adventures is a staple in RPGs, Seaside is perhaps the best Dominion expansion and everything pirate just rocks!