Sign in to follow this  
DarkGuard

do you think we could ever have a one ship build for standard play?

One ship won't survive very long. That why the battleship lost its prominence before World War II because it was powerful but they let it travel alone. It kept getting destroyed when it was outnumbered.

There was a game called Silent Death, from Iron Crown Entertainment, a long time ago that was fighter based space combat.  It was a pretty unique game, and although the normal squadron was like 3-4 ships, similar to the scope of X-Wing, but it did have a few bigger ships in the game, like gun boats and destroyers.

The gunboats and bigger ships did some cool things, and basically had a crewman and "action" for each station the ship, to make playing it in smaller games still fun and engaging, even with only one ship vs. 3 or 4.

While I'm not sure that would directly relate to X-Wing, it was a cool mechanic and fun to play.  Hell, i still break that game out sometimes and just play a few games because it was such a fun, quick paced game.

The most expensive ship you can build is 78 points

Rear Admiral Chiraneau 46

• Expose 4
  • Advanced Proton Torpedoes 6
  • Proton Bombs 5
  • Gunner 5
  • Darth Vader 3
  • Mara Jade 3
  • Dauntless title 2
  • Engine Upgrade 4

Total 78 squadron points.

Wouldn't trading  Vader and Mara for Flight instructor and Ysanne bring it up to 80 points?

Until x-wing came along silent death was my favorite star fighter game. Still think it has about the best damage/combat mechanic I have seen in a wargame. I would love to combine x-wing movement with silent death combat.

Agreed.

It was quicker than Starfleet Battles

More Simple than Babylon 5 Wars

And had a better critical/damage system than just about anything else out there.

Wish that system and that game was still supported...

• Expose 4
  • Proton Bombs 5
  • Gunner 5
  • Darth Vader 3
  • Mara Jade 3
  • Dauntless title 2
  • Engine Upgrade 4

Wouldn't trading  Vader and Mara for Flight instructor and Ysanne bring it up to 80 points?

Flight instructor is pretty much useless on a decimator (could be used for range 3 attacks). If we go with only functional upgrades, I get 79 points. If we can do useless, waste of points upgrades, you can do 3 gunners for 82 points.

Until x-wing came along silent death was my favorite star fighter game. Still think it has about the best damage/combat mechanic I have seen in a wargame. I would love to combine x-wing movement with silent death combat.

Agreed.

It was quicker than Starfleet Battles

More Simple than Babylon 5 Wars

And had a better critical/damage system than just about anything else out there.

Wish that system and that game was still supported...

You guys never played Renegade Legion: Interceptor?

On topic, while I love Hammer & Anvil lists I don't see a single wrecking ball of a ship working too well. I've played 100pt games with my Imperial fighters against a CR-90 and the Corvet is easily picked apart unless you make silly mistakes.

I believe that a 68 point Han with fun upgrades (including Lone Wolf) can win a good amount of 60 minute timed matches by killing a fighter and just booking it for the rest of the game, going for 2-3 automatic damage nullification per turn and engine upgrade to escape. 

The ship would have to have a mechanic to allow firing at least twice. I don't see a 1 ship build ever being viable that is only throwing 3 or 4 dice a round.

Personally I don't want to see a 1 ship build become a thing. I find the two ship meta we are in now, already kind of boring.

• Expose 4
  • Proton Bombs 5
  • Gunner 5
  • Darth Vader 3
  • Mara Jade 3
  • Dauntless title 2
  • Engine Upgrade 4

It would, however Flight instructor would not work that well on a Decimator.

So the most expensive crew configuration would be 3 gunners. In which using the configuration from above would bring it up to 82. :ph34r:  Not really that good because the gunners don't stack like mercenary co-pilot, so you would likely replace one of them with Moff Jerrod and the other gunner with a cheaper crew member. Still gunner is not the most expensive crew upgrade. If you could take the most expensive crew upgrade Luke you would have 84 squadron points.

Edited by Marinealver

There was a game called Silent Death, from Iron Crown Entertainment, a long time ago that was fighter based space combat.  It was a pretty unique game, and although the normal squadron was like 3-4 ships, similar to the scope of X-Wing, but it did have a few bigger ships in the game, like gun boats and destroyers.

The gunboats and bigger ships did some cool things, and basically had a crewman and "action" for each station the ship, to make playing it in smaller games still fun and engaging, even with only one ship vs. 3 or 4.

While I'm not sure that would directly relate to X-Wing, it was a cool mechanic and fun to play.  Hell, i still break that game out sometimes and just play a few games because it was such a fun, quick paced game.

Yes, I agree Silent Death is awesome  :)

The new Boba Fett Firespray can get up to 82 points: 

Boba Fett (Scum) — Firespray 39

Opportunist 4

Heavy Laser Cannon 7

Proton Bombs 5

Gunner 5

Homing Missiles 5

"Hot Shot" Blaster 3

Proton Bombs 5

Proton Bombs 5

Shield Upgrade 4

Andrasta 0

Edited by chuck777

No.

Having a single ship squadron would make tournaments horrible as you'd be looking at an all or nothing squadron.  I mean with one ship you either win or you lose big with nothing in between.  If we think Fat Han and Decimators shape a metagame having a one-ship squadron would be something everyone would need to be prepared for.

Has anyone ever tried a single 100 point epic against a standard squadron?  Even a single tooled up ship at any price vs. a squadron of ships.

One ship won't survive very long. That why the battleship lost its prominence before World War II because it was powerful but they let it travel alone. It kept getting destroyed when it was outnumbered.

Here I thought the Battleship lost most of its standing because it could be taken out by relatively cheap air power.  As for being out numbered one needs to remember that multiple ships will also bring more power; they may be weaker individually but when taken as a group they can be stronger.

The statement makes me think to DnD 3.5 where having a single monster that is significantly more "challenging" than the party should be able to hand either is that challenging because the party has hard time being effective against it or it's strengths may still leave it vulnerable to a party that can do many more things against it than it can respond to.

No.

Having a single ship squadron would make tournaments horrible as you'd be looking at an all or nothing squadron.  I mean with one ship you either win or you lose big with nothing in between.  If we think Fat Han and Decimators shape a metagame having a one-ship squadron would be something everyone would need to be prepared for.

Has anyone ever tried a single 100 point epic against a standard squadron?  Even a single tooled up ship at any price vs. a squadron of ships.

Here I thought the Battleship lost most of its standing because it could be taken out by relatively cheap air power.  As for being out numbered one needs to remember that multiple ships will also bring more power; they may be weaker individually but when taken as a group they can be stronger.

The statement makes me think to DnD 3.5 where having a single monster that is significantly more "challenging" than the party should be able to hand either is that challenging because the party has hard time being effective against it or it's strengths may still leave it vulnerable to a party that can do many more things against it than it can respond to.

Yup, the thought that jumps to me is the person flying one ship, with no modification to the tournament rules, would mean that the one ship player blows up a z95 or a tie, and spends the rest of the 60 minutes lazily flying to avoid arcs and range.  He just wins on points, and that is already somewhat of a problem.

i didn't really think about that in my original post, you would have to modify some things like the MoV points values.

Edited by sc077y