Sign in to follow this  
Dustdown

I'm running an AGOT the board game event: Any ideas for how to make it as good as possible?

The event is aimed at bringing together both new and older players. I hope to have two or three tables running the game and will be present as a non-player to help with rules questions. 

The event is held in the back of my local game store (Games of Berkeley).

There'll be prizes (a copy of the game) and pizza, and I hope to dim the lights and use music to create a proper atmosphere. 

If I can serve lemon cakes.. I will. 

But is there anything additionally you suggest I should do?

Here's a link to the FB event.

I've hosted this game a few times but I have little in the way of suggestions. I'm guessing you are not in a position to serve the players some Arbor Red in silver plated goblets, which is usually appreciated.

The game takes a long time to play (particularly with new players), so I always make sure there is plenty of snacks, apart from having food ready. With snacks, drinks are a necessity, served in goblets or not.

It is an intense game (anyone else feel drained afterwards?) with a good deal of backstabbery. Some players are liable to get very upset. This isn't entirely in your control but if you can somehow sound out which are the more good-natured players with a temperament you might want to put those players wherever the experienced players are not.

Finally, all I can think of are the balancing issues that are discussed at such great length in the forums. For me, they mean that if we won't be exactly six players, we will play something else. You don't have that option, but there is the possibility of letting some of the experienced players try out the "Feast for Crows" scenario for four players instead of having another full game. I haven't tried it myself yet but new is always exciting.

Out-of-this-world ideas otherwise include having a minstrel playing the Rains of Castamere, the Maiden and the Bear, etc. or someone dressed up as Moon-boy wandering between the tables making random sinister remarks about water. When I become a millionaire, that's the only way I'll play this game!

Dustdown,

As it's your first post, Welcome to Westeros!

Borealaian has provided some excellent suggestions, and I'm particularly keen on Moon-Boy, but if you're finances prohibit such extravagances, definitely have the right music and nosh.  For music, it's as simple as turning-on Pandora and setting "A Game of Thrones" or "Lord of the Rings" as your station for the next few hours.

It is, as Borealian mentioned, an intense game, and even the most virtuous among you with lose their temper when someone breaks an alliance or acts in an unexpected manner.  Definitely have five or more at the table, as the game is a bit wonky with less than five players, and have your more seasoned players take-on the role of Lannister or Greyjoy, as these Houses, if locked into combat, or worse, make an unbreakable pact for most of the game, can make for an exciting ride.

Otherwise, prepare the Lemon Cakes, pour some Arbor Gold (Martinelli's Sparkling non-alcoholic Cider works just as well), and strike-up the band...it's time to determine who shall sit upon the Iron Throne.

Cheers,

Joe

AFFC Variant is the best for an actual tournament. It is faster to play and made for tournament play. If it is just a general event to introduce players to the game, then base game should be fine. But I would look into getting a few copies of the variant for repeat events.

You don't necessarily need to be that experienced to play AFFC either. It is a bit more rules to learn, but supply is actually easier to understand, and the objective cards give players something to aim to do each turn. Of course, new players will not play a balanced game, but they won't play a balanced base game either, so it is fun either way.

Edited by Amin

Thanks! 

It'll just be a casual event that aims to introduce players to the wonderful game. :)

Are there any rules that you guys recommend I keep in mind that people often get confused by? 

I find that the supply and port rules are the toughest to convey, but the way I teach this game is by not spending an hour explaining the rules; I rather we get right into it after a quick primer and they learn as they go. It helps picturing yourself being Tyrion, Cersei or Bran... thrown into a position of power without really knowing how all the bits and pieces work. 

Are there any rules that you guys recommend I keep in mind that people often get confused by? 

I remember being a bit confused about how the islands work (Dragonstone, the Arbor and the Iron Islands) as a result of how they are represented, thinking ships could rest on island spaces.

Other than that, most questions seem to arise from generals with special rules (which is what, half of them?). But explaining each of those before the game is a futile exercise.

The evening was a success! Thank you so much guys! 

We had 16 people show up for the event, which gave us 3 games running. 14 people had never played the game before, but they all managed to grasp it by round 2 as they all were very interested in the game. Amazing fun and everyone loved the game. Will definitely arrange another night in the future!

You can see shots from the event here: https://www.facebook.com/BerkeleyGames/photos_stream

I have hosted and taught several times, and one of the very first things I explain is that no one should be enemies nor allies for the entire game. This is a hard concept for players of different types of games to accept.

Then I go over the common new player errors:

1. Placing an order token where there are no units

2. Mustering at all Castles and Strongholds simply because they see someone mustering at a single Castle/Stronghold (with a CP* order)

3. Placing too many Star orders, or any at all when they are not allowed to do do

4. Placing Raid orders where they can only raid themselves

5. Placing a raid order on a land space thinking they can raid a ship providing support to an attack

6. Placing a raid order thinking they can stop a march order by "raiding" it

7. Consolidate Power order tokens (CP orders); all aspects, new players seem to always be generally confused by what a CP order token is, and what it does

8. Attempting to resolve all march orders at once on their turn, instead of understanding that each player resolves ONE march order at a time, in IT turn order

9. R-R-M-C, I ask players to memorize this: "Raven - Raid - March - CP"...this helps a lot

10. Always asking "Who goes first" - the IT track determines player turn order

11. Ports - everything about Ports, new players have a difficult time with the rules around Ports (these rules do take getting used to)

12. Why does a Garrison get to use a House Card, and can be supported, but I can't support a neutral force token to stop an opponent from taking that space?...a common question in our group