Sign in to follow this  
TezzasGames

Organised Play to End...

I saw that announcement as well.  It was sad, as I saw their commitment to supporting organized play as a hopeful sign.  Now that said commitment is no longer there, it makes me feel pretty discouraged.  On the other hand, they implied that sales were strong (though they may just be blowing hot air), so there is still hope.  Also, not many games actually get organized play support, so that isn't necessarily a death knell...but it does feel like one.

What was particularly depressing to me is the fact that I would definitely attend a tournament if there was one to attend nearby, but there wasn't a single one being held in my state.  I don't have the time/energy right now to go to games stores often (new job, young kids, and a puppy kind of limit that sort of thing), so I haven't really had a chance to promote the game much outside of my own family/friends circle, making me an unlikely candidate to generate support locally for a tournament.  It makes me feel as though I haven't done enough to support my favorite game--and I see that it could use the support!  Maybe those of us who are die-hard fans should try and commit ourselves to selling at least one other person on the game this year.  We could double the player base if we pulled that off. 

I, for one, will continue to flip my disks long after the game is discontinued.  I am desperate for more content, and would love to see the game take off, but even if it doesn't I am extremely appreciative of what we have to date. 

That said, I still hold out hope that the official life is far from over, even without tournaments.  Those kids I mentioned above will have to learn to play someday, and I would love for the game to be alive and kicking when they are ready to engage in battle--but I will teach them either way! 

Edited by Jedhead

I don't know FFG strategy, but in Italy warhamer diskwars is a new game, they translated it only at the end of 2014, we are just discovering it.
I am a new player, I'm really enthusiast about the game, I would partecipate in a new tournament the next year if there would be one.
So, for me, maybe it is too early to close the tournament. 

I have a weird opinion on this, I actually think the game is better played casually with friends than at tourneys.  Not to say the game isn't tightly balanced, it is (well, okay, I think the dragons, trolls,etc. should be one per army).  It's because of the command card phase.  Being able to outguess your opponent happens best after multiple games together, playing with strangers at a tourney doesn't really allow for this.  So, my favorite army, the Vampire Counts, is awesome played casually with my wife - I outguess her with command cards and win pretty handily with them.  However, at the tournament scene, they get creamed - I simply don't know my opponents or their tendencies, so outguessing them becomes nigh on impossible.

So for me, this decision doesn't bother me overmuch, although I've enjoyed the tourneys I've been to (even though I lost).  My hope is that the game continues to grow casually and gets at least one more expansion to round everything out.  I think it will.  And of course, I'll buy every expansion that does come out - it's such a great game.  :-)

I actualy aplaud this move.

As a table top EX-warhammer player, this was simply a gimicky way to play warhammer as well. The competetive GW warhammer scene is wrought with WAAC players and it was statrting to show here as well.

I personly feel FFG should dump any GW licences as i dont like GW's buisness practice regarding dismissing the wants and needs long time customers in lieu of new kiddies. GW is not the company i grew up with.

Were there really Win at all costs players at Warhammer: Diskwars tournaments?  I could see the occasional such player showing up, but to say that the tournament scene in its infancy was overrun with them seems a bit strong.

I have not been to any tournies, but my experience on the forums and feedback I have heard from others who attended tournies seem to indicate that the WHDW scene was fairly easy-going and fun to play with, so that was my impression. 

If not, and there are many undesireable opponents, this really surprises me and is the first I have heard of it. 

I actualy aplaud this move.

As a table top EX-warhammer player, this was simply a gimicky way to play warhammer as well. The competetive GW warhammer scene is wrought with WAAC players and it was statrting to show here as well.

I personly feel FFG should dump any GW licences as i dont like GW's buisness practice regarding dismissing the wants and needs long time customers in lieu of new kiddies. GW is not the company i grew up with.

Really?

Were there really Win at all costs players at Warhammer: Diskwars tournaments?  I could see the occasional such player showing up, but to say that the tournament scene in its infancy was overrun with them seems a bit strong.

I have not been to any tournies, but my experience on the forums and feedback I have heard from others who attended tournies seem to indicate that the WHDW scene was fairly easy-going and fun to play with, so that was my impression. 

If not, and there are many undesireable opponents, this really surprises me and is the first I have heard of it. 

My thoughts exactly.  I scrub the internet for people who like this game.  I play as much as I can, and I eat up tournament reports, and to be honest, I see no evidence for WAAC players.  In fact, if FFG is to be believed, we're all just too **** friendly.  So friendly in fact, we don't like tournaments, where there has to be a winner... ;)  

All kidding aside, please tell me if I'm wrong Atraangelis, but your post seems to either be sarcasm, or trolling...  I don't like to accuse people of trolling, but I really see no evidence of what you are saying.

Sorry about that,

My nerd rage at GW came out a little.

My refrence to the waac players stems from several at my flgs had to buy multiple sets to get the units they wanted. Thus single set owners who wanted to playe casualy in a competetive environment were already behind the gun the first time we played.

This is the same mentality the miniatures gamer suffers from. As soon as i saw this, iwas turned off, sold my set and moved on.

As a multiple core-set owner (I have two) I can tell you that buying more than one may not represent the win at all cost mentality.  I don't even play in tournaments, and so far have only played casually at home with friends and family!

So why buy the second core?  I bought it because it opens up way more army building options, and allows for more fun combos to explore.  It also lets me do things like run four pistoliers or double skycutter, neither of which is a competitive build, but both of which I enjoy.  It also allowed me to share the more powerful, in-demand command cards with my opponent, rather than restricting them to usage by just one of us, gave us the opportunity to have more than one of the same terrain and deployment zones, etc. 

As you can see, from my perspective, a second core set makes the game more fun because it opens up the army building aspect a bit more, not because it gives me an advantage.  I play with my family, and we share access to our collective disk pool, so nobody gains an edge, but we all gain opportunities for expanded army building and fun combos.  Some people in your area may have purchased a second set for similar reasons.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Jedhead

Ok.  So now I feel a bit sheepish.  Sorry for calling you a troll Atraangelis.

I too own two core sets.  And... Two of each expansion and... a couple of the tournament kits...

Although, for myself at least, my purchase of these extra's had more to do with me liking the game so much, that I wanted to be able to try almost every valid army build.  I've actually considered a few times buying a third core...  TBH, I've been a bit addicted to this game.  But, I use all of those extra parts to ensure I always have what I need to make armies for new players, and to build themed armies that I couldn't out of a single core box.  Sure, I play to win, but not quite at all costs.  In fact I loose more often than I win.  Primarily to a guy who has two cores, and only one copy of the Legions of Darkness expansion.

But I also understand GW frustration.  However, I've found that it's really always about finding the right group to play with.  My Diskwars opponent is a good guy.  We are competitive, but we are really playing to have fun.  The group I play WHFB and 40k with, are equally laid back guys, Though we don't get to play too often, since family and work get in the way.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the guys in your FLGS.  I hope that you get an opportunity to try the game again, with a better group of players.  This really is a fantastic game.