Sign in to follow this  
RexlarBrath

Experimental interface question

I was building a squad with a ship that had experimental interface equipped obviously. But my question was if the ship has 2 upgrade cards with the action header, can I perform one of those card's actions and then use experimental interface to perform the other card's action?

Yes, as long as it's an equipped upgrade card with the Action header. You could use your standard action to do one of them, then use Experimental Interface to trigger the 2nd one, and then get a stress.

This assumes of course you don't have the same card equipped twice...

I don't know where I fall on this use of Experimental Interface, can you use Experimental Interface to attempt a damage card action fix? Is a damage card considered an upgrade card? I tend to say no, but what do you guys think?

Can you take a focus and then use Experimental Interface to attempt to fix a Weapon Malfunction crit?

The rulebook lists various components on page 3, including three types of cards: Ship, damage and upgrade cards. That are three different categories of cards. Expansions add reference and mission cards.

I also have an experimental interface question. 

Can you use the experimental interface card to drop a proximity mine? If so could you use it in this example?  Drop a proton bomb, then move the ship, do a focus action, use experimental interface to drop a proximity mine, then gain a stress.

The cards as written seem to say that you can. the EI card says to do an action then perform a free action from an equipped upgrade card with the action header then take a stress. The proximity mine is an upgrade card that has the action header so should be an eligible action to take.

I know about the one bomb per turn rule but there are cards and combos that "break" the rules all the time, I am just curious if this is one of those combos. If this doesn't work can you please explain as to why. Please don't just say "one bomb per turn rule"  as I have already stated that cards break rules all the time.

Drop a proton bomb, then move the ship, do a focus action, use experimental interface to drop a proximity mine, then gain a stress.

No, but that's because you can't drop more than 1 bomb a turn. Per the FAQ page 3.

But you could use EI to drop a prox mine if you haven't already dropped a bomb this turn, since the Prox mine is an Action

Please don't just say "one bomb per turn rule"  as I have already stated that cards break rules all the time.

That's true, but the cards always make it clear they break the rules. Unless they say something that directly contradicts a rule, then they still function under the rules.

For example you'd need an upgrade that says "you may drop more than one bomb per turn" for that rule to be ignored.

Ok, so because the card doesn't specifically say "you can use this to drop a second bomb" then that means it can't be used in that way. If they put that on the card then they would also have to put that you couldn't use it to drop 2 proxy mines at the same time. I think that would be a lot to have to put on a single card. 

If that is the official ruling then I'm cool with it as I don't play bomber lists anyway. I just thought this was a way for someone to make bombs more useful. I don't see any bombs being used in tournaments so was trying to think of a way to get them more use on the table.

Thanks for the good reason for it not to work, the it needs to specifically say the ability that gets broken for it to work thing. That actually makes sense as all the cards that break the rules do specifically say what rule they break and how.

Lets just say that without EI what would prevent you from dropping an Proton Bomb before your maneuver and then using your action to drop the Proximity Mine?  This is that "one bomb per turn" rule and EI does nothing to change it.