Sign in to follow this  
Gryphynx

Character Generator - Excel

This weekend I plan to update my Character Generator to include Force and Destiny (and perhaps Age of Rebellion if the time exists).  It's Excel, which makes it easier to modify things for House Rules...  Figured I'd share it if anyone wants to use it (or at least peruse it before it's completed, though it should work perfectly for Edge of the Empire games).  

Star Wars - Edge of the Empire CharGenerator

I recommend downloading it and opening it in Excel as the Google Docs program massacres xlsx files.  :/

Edit: If you need/want to make changes, the password is: star wars

Edited by Gryphynx

Errr.... the part that lets you pick your free skills at character creation got deleted while I was working on some Force and Destiny stuff, so ignore this thread for a bit and I'll post an update (with Force and Destiny) that is error-free by Monday.  

Ok, it is now ready, but without Age of Rebellion.  I will add that later on of course.

Things you can enjoy with this excel character generator:

• Drop down lists for career and specialization specific skills, as well as for Talents and other areas.
  • Full XP Calculations and verifications
  • Complete list of all Edge of the Empire and Force and Destiny Careers and Talents
  • Ability to alter starting XP and Characteristic limitations as a Gamemaster
  • XP based spending (you fill in how much XP you put in, instead of filling in something and it calculating the XP)
  • Auto-Identify racial skill ratings, and ability to select racial skills for humans and droids (and Twi'Leks of course)

Future release will include Age of Rebellion classes, as well as Talent Tree checks (right now you fill in the Talent and how much XP that Talent costs, there's not a checks-n-balance on following a talent branch yet).  Will also have to add in racial Talents automatically to the lists.  Lastly, will create a 2nd page for Talent Cards that will auto-generate based on Talent selections (I just have to be careful to not fill in too much and have copyright problems).  :)

If you see any problems, please post here.  Since I had to manually fill in the career and specialization specific skills, it is possible I made a mistake in a skill tree somewhere.  :(  

It always amazes me what people can do with spreadsheet macros.  I know the work that went into this, so my hat's off to you, Gryph.  Great job supporting the community!

A couple of observations:

• A number of items should have drop-down lists, such as species, armor, force powers, talents, etc.  Not only do you have to know what the usable items are ahead of time, you need to use the proper spelling as well.
  • Class (should be Career) is auto-selected when you choose the first specialization.  However, while careers are keyed to certain specializations, it doesn't work the other way around.  Both Smuggler and Ace, for instance, both have the Pilot specialization.  You should probably have a drop-down for Career, which then creates a drop-down for the first specialization.
  • It would probably be a nightmare to do this (it was a major hassle for me, and I got to use linked lists and multiple directional passes), but for talents, have a drop-down for the talents you have access to for your various specialization trees, then open up new talents as you go down the tree.  For instance, the top talent space should start out with only the top four talents of the specializations you purchased, and the XP column should be automatically filled in.  The next space down would then have the talents you didn't pick from the first row, plus any new talents that opened up, etc.
  • A minor note, but write-protect the bonus skills if they don't apply so people can't use them.  I did notice that they were ignored if they didn't apply, which is good, but it might cause confusion.
  • You may want to special-case some of the more popular talents.  For instance, Grit should change your strain, Toughened your wound, Enduring your soak, and Dedication should let them choose a characteristic.

There's probably a lot of other features you're thinking of adding, so I won't go into those :)  I think its great that there's an alternative to Jason's and my generators, especially for people that can't, or don't want to, deal with Windows or Windows VM's.  Great job, Gryph!

Edited by OggDude

Latest version uploaded.  I apologize if there are any errors, stayed up a bit later than expected working on it.  It now includes a managed Talent Tree controller (though human error may have missed a pre-requisite somewhere, if you find one post here and I'll fix it).

Thanks OggDude, I'm pretty sure I have drop-down boxes on all the listed items (will fix Class though).

I have noticed the Pilot problem, and will work around that when I get to that book, but since I'm not using that book in my game, it has a lower priority for me (Something I will do this month, but just not right away).  

My latest release (just uploaded) does indeed have only "available" Talents listed, so #3 is already resolved.  :)  And yeah, it was a major pain... took more than an hour to get that working.  :\

I will 'hide' the bonus skills that don't apply, as per your suggestion.

Grit and Toughened were already added, have included Enduring in this latest edition as well.  I will definitely include some Dedication selection of course, probably before the end of the week.  :)

Latest version uploaded.  Force Trees have been added, and big cleanup on the data page.  Added everything I could think of that was character-based, such as Obligation XP, the list of things Oggy suggested, including auto-calc of Armor Master, Improved Armor Master, Sixth Sense, Superior Reflexes and Characteristic Selection for Dedication Talents.

Ok, sheet currently finished.  The only thing left is Age of Rebellion as far as I'm aware, but that'll be after this weekend's game at best.  

Latest release includes the Races from Force and Destiny, inclusion of racial Talents (You still have to select them, but they are free), various bug fixes (one really bad one where the 1st talent of each class error'd causing all other talents of that class to error :P).  Also added some minor changes like allowing multiple "Well Rounded" and "Dedication" talents.  

For now, I have to work on the Decimator...