Sign in to follow this  
psuczyns

Doom at 0 and "A Brief Respite" Mythos card

So I was playing a game against the Elder Things today, and the mythos card I drew was "A Brief Respite" which says that if doom advanced this round, retreat doom by 1. However, a reckoning effect caused doom to hit 0 before that effect happened. So the Rise of the Elder Things awakened and I placed the 5 eldritch tokens on the card as instructed. Now it is time for the "Retreat doom by 1 effect" to trigger and I'm just wondering how to proceed? Does the effect fizzle? Any ideas?

I haven't flipped RotET yet, but unless there is an effect listed like "remove one eldritch token if the doom would ever increase," I believe it fizzles.  But you might want to wait for another response.  But yes, an AO CAN awaken and have "doom triggers" occur during the same turn/mythos.

I had read in the guidebook/manual that once doom reaches ZERO, pretty much any other action is cancelled/stopped/put aside and you flip the Great Old One card and resolve that. So in your case, the Elder Things monster card pretty much is over everything else.

I will go through the guidebook and find that part so I can quote it.

Ok, here I have it:

ELDRITCH HORROR
REFERENCE GUIDE

Page 5, under the DOOM sub-heading:

4th bullet in that subheading:

After the Ancient One awakens, Doom cannot retreat. The Ancient One sheet describes what happens if Doom advances after tha Ancient One awakens.

The part we're interested in is pretty clear for this case; "AFTER THE ANCIENT ONE AWAKENS, DOOM CANNOT RETREAT"

Page 16 of the RULEBOOK (not reference guide), under the subheading THE ANCIENT ONE AWAKENS;

When Doom reaches the "0" space of the Doom track, the Ancient One awakens. Flip the Ancient One sheet and immediately resolve the "Awakens" effect (if any) on the upper left corner of the sheet.

Hope this helps a little..