Sign in to follow this  
signoftheserpent

You Gotta Laugh!

Then why claim that the only people who got Falcons in this reprint ordered theirs in November?

You've completely misunderstood.

When i spoke about 5 Falcons, i was talking about the shop. Not every retailer on/offline.

Those 5 ships were all the shop was allocated. I have no idea why (low supply all round presumably) or how much product other places were allocated.

Those 5 ships went to the people that had their name down earliest, and that was as late as November.

I can only speak for the places and people I know. Whatever shiops other people use may well be entirely different, I have no idea, I am not speaking for them.

I found the situation ridiculous and so I commented on it with the above title, because it is. FFG puts out entirely too much product across the board and so being unable to meet demand of their seemingluy most popular product is a crazy situation.

Combined with the other situations i've mentioned, availability of players, cliquey community, expensive tournament costs (if i'm paying aklmost £20, all in, to play the game via a tournament it's too much for me), cost of product to keep up with the game, I don't feel this is something i can continue with. I'm well aware that S/V, or any particular product, is unnecessary, but that's not really the point. You play the game because you like the content and so you want the new content (which you will need to stay current because power creep is how games like this remain profitable), that's perfectly normal. As players we should want S/V otherwise there's not much point playing. I certainly want it, as a player, but I can't keep up with the Joneses in a game that's going to cost £100 every few months that I rarely get to play.

That's not 'whining', it's just a statement of how it is.

Tournament costs of 20 pounds? :o

I pay 5 euro for the store championship.

And you're in the UK, you guys seem to have a weird distribution problem don't you? Are a few stores getting more than the local stores from Esdevium?

But being from the UK, it shouldn't be too hard for you to gather a few people and buy a bunch together to defray the costs.

10 Falcons and 10 Firesprays, including shipping for 417 GBP, which comes out to a little below what Amazon UK charges per ship. And that's just from a single webshop I know, I'm sure there's a lot more to be found. :P.

Ok, fair enough. I know how off-putting it can be when your local games store is made unfriendly by cliquish regulars with only the most passing acquaintance with personal hygiene. Are there any other places you could play locally? I got around the problem by getting together with a few interested members of my local RPG club to start up a monthly X-Wing night which has already moved up to twice a month and is only setting us back £1 a night each to cover the hall.

If there's absolutely nowhere you can play and you're not interested in the ships for collecting reasons then I'd agree it's time to get out rather than spending more money in the hope of being competitive when you do get to play. It's a shame when theses things happen but not everyone will have an entirely positive experience with a game.

Tournament costs of 20 pounds? :oI pay 5 euro for the store championship.

I'm guessing here but I would expect that includes travel costs, parking, food and so on. If I was out all day I'd expect to drop at least twenty notes just on food, closer to fifty if I was getting lunch and a main meal.

Tournament costs of 20 pounds? :oI pay 5 euro for the store championship.

I'm guessing here but I would expect that includes travel costs, parking, food and so on. If I was out all day I'd expect to drop at least twenty notes just on food, closer to fifty if I was getting lunch and a main meal.

Ah, of course. I live about 5 minutes drive from my store so I usually don't take such things into account.

And you're in the UK, you guys seem to have a weird distribution problem don't you? Are a few stores getting more than the local stores from Esdevium?

But being from the UK, it shouldn't be too hard for you to gather a few people and buy a bunch together to defray the costs.

10 Falcons and 10 Firesprays, including shipping for 417 GBP, which comes out to a little below what Amazon UK charges per ship. And that's just from a single webshop I know, I'm sure there's a lot more to be found. :P.

I've no idea what the problem with distribution is. Only FFG and Esdevium have the answer to that.

Tournament cost for the store championship, as decided by one member of the community (i'm assuming he is the TD though when I asked what the cost for the prize kits was he refused to answer), was set at £10/head. With 16 places that's £160. If prize kits cost about £30 (rough guesstimate) that still leaves £130 which will, iirc, be given out as extra prizes in the form of store credit. When I asked why the price needs to be so high, which I did quite respectfully, I was chewed out.

On top of that i'd have to pay for transport to the venue and a few quid for some sandwiches. That's the situation. I can't justify paying that just to play. Frankly I'm not likely to win - with which I am entirely fine - but I somewhat resent having to pay just so the hot players in the local clique can share £130 or so amongst themselves. Sorry that may sound mealy mouthed but that's how I feel. If it was just the stuff in the tournament kit that would be absolutely fine, but big money prizes? Nope not for me.

I've no idea what the problem with distribution is. Only FFG and Esdevium have the answer to that.

Tournament cost for the store championship, as decided by one member of the community (i'm assuming he is the TD though when I asked what the cost for the prize kits was he refused to answer), was set at £10/head. With 16 places that's £160. If prize kits cost about £30 (rough guesstimate) that still leaves £130 which will, iirc, be given out as extra prizes in the form of store credit. When I asked why the price needs to be so high, which I did quite respectfully, I was chewed out.

On top of that i'd have to pay for transport to the venue and a few quid for some sandwiches. That's the situation. I can't justify paying that just to play. Frankly I'm not likely to win - with which I am entirely fine - but I somewhat resent having to pay just so the hot players in the local clique can share £130 or so amongst themselves. Sorry that may sound mealy mouthed but that's how I feel. If it was just the stuff in the tournament kit that would be absolutely fine, but big money prizes? Nope not for me.

No, that sentiment I can fully understand. If our shop hosts a (regular, casual) tourney they charge 5 euro, with some going for store credit for the top three (lastt ime was 15 euro for the number 1, nothing big). The rest is used to buy more playmats or otherwise help the hosting of tournaments. So even if you don't win, at least your money is going to help the store host tournaments and games.

From what you've been saying here in this thread I think it is time to find another store, if possible. That sucks.

I posted this on the O/T forum too, but heard today of a mate in the UK who went to get his falcon order from his FLGS, only to be told that the store had got 6 in stock, and chosen to sell them all to their staff first ahead of fulfilling customer orders. Poor form gents!

I posted this on the O/T forum too, but heard today of a mate in the UK who went to get his falcon order from his FLGS, only to be told that the store had got 6 in stock, and chosen to sell them all to their staff first ahead of fulfilling customer orders. Poor form gents!

Well then he can have them up for fraud because they took his money he has a right to get what he paid for.

Go in inform them your contacting both the police and trading standards, crap like that you don't take.

No, that sentiment I can fully understand. If our shop hosts a (regular, casual) tourney they charge 5 euro, with some going for store credit for the top three (lastt ime was 15 euro for the number 1, nothing big). The rest is used to buy more playmats or otherwise help the hosting of tournaments. So even if you don't win, at least your money is going to help the store host tournaments and games.

From what you've been saying here in this thread I think it is time to find another store, if possible. That sucks.

It's not the store.

They are great.

Let me make that 100% clear.

The TD (again, i assume he is such) is making these decisions about cost. The shop, as the venue, has the space and the tourney is held when they are open anyway. At most they ask a nominal fee of a quid if you want to play (assuming you buy nothing as well while you're there). That's a far cry from what the TD is claiming who, again, when asked about the breakdown of that cost, refused to answer. I find that unlikely: if you're organising the event then you must know how much the FFG prize support kit will cost. But i bet it isn't £160! If it is then i'm happy to forego it, personally speaking! The priority surely must be to play the game. Anything else is just gravy.

The shop can't get stock because the supplier isn't able to supply it. Now they are somewhat new(ish), so perhaps older shops (Leisuregames, for example, in London) get priority. But that's not their fault. The shop are helpful and friendly and I would hate for that to be misrepresented or mischaracterised.

It's not the store.

They are great.

The TD (again, i assume he is such) is making these decisions about cost. The shop, as the venue, has the space and the tourney is held when they are open anyway. 

Ah, okay. I'd assumed, wrongly, that the TD was a staff member of the store.

I read a lot here about UKians having trouble getting what they want, with stores being notoriously undersupplied. Which seems strange to me, because I doubt FFG would supply the Netherlands, for instance, better than the UK and other than global shortage it's not nearly as bad here as it seems to be in the UK.

So, speculating, either the distributor is not ordering enough from FFG or they are preferring certain stores over others.

Edited by Dagonet

Especially if you've PAID!

Signoftheserpent, you're not based somewhere near Peterborough are you? That sort of behaviour sounds all too familiar.

No, and i'd rather not get too accurate with the detail. A degree of anonymity is, imo, to be respected.

Fair enough. To be fair to the shop I'm referring to it's a similar situation to yours. The manager is a good bloke but one or two of the people who help him out occasionally and the regulars just wreck the place with their attitude and behaviour. It's a real shame when people bring that sort of toxic behaviour into an environment that should act as an advert for the hobby as a whole.

It's not the store.

They are great.

The TD (again, i assume he is such) is making these decisions about cost. The shop, as the venue, has the space and the tourney is held when they are open anyway. 

I read a lot here about UKians having trouble getting what they want, with stores being notoriously undersupplied. Which seems strange to me, because I doubt FFG would supply the Netherlands, for instance, better than the UK and other than global shortage it's not nearly as bad here as it seems to be in the UK.

So, speculating, either the distributor is not ordering enough from FFG or they are preferring certain stores over others.

I'm only assuming he is the TD since he was organising it and taking payments via paypal.

Which is not to suggest any impropriety either.

But as far as I know he doesn't work for the store. They are just the venue. Part of the problem is the unwillingness to give clear answers, but then from their persecptive they are all friends and how dare this guy come in and impugn their reputation! :o

It's not the store.

They are great.

I have heard quite a few complaints about Esdevium. Which may not be in the picture for too much longer as the merger with Asomodee goes through. 

Signoftheserpent

I never played a wounded fanboy card. Now you are claiming that buying ships is equivalent to how someone flies when they are your opponent, or you are claiming that purchases are a competitive aspect of the game. Both are nonsense and both are an abdication of personal responsibility.

I am challenging your victim mindset. You seem to be forgetting the first rule of holes, when you are in one, stop digging.

I have no idea what you are talking about, I think you are arguing with yourself. You and the other fanboys just seek to troll I think because you cannot stand how anyone can even be perceived to be saying something negative about your beloved game. I see it all the time on FFG forums. It's ridiculous.

I haven't made any claim remotely of the kind you seem to think I have and it's clear that you haven't actually paid any attention to what I've actually said. I made it clear from the start that I don't care about the Falcon. I said it several times in fact. I made my position perfectly clear. I've no idea at all how you can so egregiously miss the point. What on earth does this have to do with 'personal responsibility'? Again if people aren't available and the local community isn't particularly inclusive it would be absurd to seek to continue playing a game that, again, is a good game (doesn't matter how good it is if there's no opportunity to play). That is on top of the continued cost of playing along with nonsense like the Imperial Raider package. That the company can't even meet the demand is why I posted. The only people to get Falcons in this current print run were those that preordered in November at the latest - including people that already have 2 of them. Can you not see how absurd a situationi that is, or would you rather engage in a pissing contest?

Sign,

You said that other people buying stuff dictated your game. Insulting me doesn't change that. Insulting people who like the game doesn't change that. Trying to change what I have said doesn't change that. If you can't take a little criticism without losing your cool I don't think your local community is the problem.

that you think you've been insulted proves how little of what I've actually said you have read.

See I can quote you making insults. Don't try and gaslight me, respond to the actual criticism.

It's not the store.

They are great.

I have heard quite a few complaints about Esdevium. Which may not be in the picture for too much longer as the merger with Asomodee goes through. 

They are the only supplier, so the point may well be moot! I'm sure they have their moments like anyone else. Nothing else i've noticed seems to struggle as much as X Wing and its FFG who are known for putting out a TON of stuff.

It's not the store.

They are great.

They are the only supplier, so the point may well be moot! I'm sure they have their moments like anyone else. Nothing else i've noticed seems to struggle as much as X Wing and its FFG who are known for putting out a TON of stuff.

I am guessing you weren't a victim of the great "Privateer press drought" of a couple of years ago. I can say hand on heart that X-Wing stock in the UK is actually MUCH easier to find than whole swathes of Warmachine/Hordes stuff was for a while. To this day they still have trouble with specific items, it's never been truly fixed (it is vastly better than the "dark times" though).

Same problem...they expanded far faster than expected, and demand hugely outstripped supply. They had to retool their entire production line just to start catching up.

I am guessing you weren't a victim of the great "Privateer press drought" of a couple of years ago. I can say hand on heart that X-Wing stock in the UK is actually MUCH easier to find than whole swathes of Warmachine/Hordes stuff was for a while. To this day they still have trouble with specific items, it's never been truly fixed (it is vastly better than the "dark times" though).

Same problem...they expanded far faster than expected, and demand hugely outstripped supply. They had to retool their entire production line just to start catching up.

I don't play that kind of minis game - though mainly because i can't paint or assemble figures!

FFG just put out too much stuff. Too many games. Might seem a strange criticism, but it's true IMO. I'm not convinced Armada is good for this.

Edited by signoftheserpent

FFG has greatly expanded their production capacities. They are now talking about factories for X-wing, when it used to just be one. But just because they have expanded their production capacity, it doesn't mean that they still don't have issues with shipping their product around the world.