Sign in to follow this  
Gryphynx

Characters - Imperial Sabotage

As a reference point, these are the characters in my upcoming campaign.

House Rules for CharGen:

• Each character gets 160xp to spend.
  • No Obligation.
  • If the character selects a Specialization that gives a starting Force rating of 1, Force rating may be bought up from that 160xp pool. Cost is double that of Characteristics, so 40xp for Force 2, or 100xp total for Force 3.
  • Each character gets 160 additional xp to spend, but may not spend any of it on characteristics nor Force.
  • Each character gets 5,000 Credits starting out.

Theme behind Campaign:

Each player was spoken with individually and told that I wanted one of the new classes of Force user in the game, and I thought I'd give them a chance to play it.  They didn't have to play it, but if they didn't pick a Force career, and wanted to play a Force character later, their only option was the Exile.  They would be permanently limited to a single Force specialization and a single Power (A House rule from the last campaign where I limited Exiles to a single power), and were then handed a printout of the Force and Destiny classes and powers.

The key is that they have to keep it a secret from the rest of the group because it's quite probable that the bounty for a Force user would be worth the treachery of turning in a team mate.

However, the real goal is for them to discover that the Force has drawn them together, and the story will have them conducting missions to counter the encroachment of the Empire further into the galaxy.  I'm hoping to set up a method which will allow them to build a underground school for Force students, a much weaker version of the Jedi.  At some point I want them to square off against Darth Vader (I'll make sure incidents prevent him from destroying them, unless of course they decide to go all-out attack on him, but I'm betting they do a Solo and run... but he will at that point be aware of their existence). 

Bartholemew Kor'onus - Guardian Protector/Pilot (Human)
A recently stolen ship, the Imperials are searching for the now missing VT-49 Decimator which bears the same markings as the one Bartholemew recently acquired.  Following his gut, he bears the ship down to a remote planet in the Outer Rim in search of crew.  As for a Force user, he has no idea that he has Force potential.

• Agility: 3, Brawn: 3, Cunning: 2, Intellect: 2, Presence: 3, Willpower: 3, Force: 2
  • Resilience: 2, Astrogation, Athletics, Brawl, Cool, Discipline, Gunnery, Leadership, Medicine, Melee, Pilot (P), Pilot (S), Ranged (L), Survival, Vigilence: 1
  • Toughened x2, Skilled Jockey x2, Galaxy Mapper x2, Full Throttle, Improved Full Throttle, Dead to Rights, Improved Dead to Rights.
  • Power: Unchosen
  • Blaster Pistol with Multi-Optic, Telescopic Sights, Padded Armor, Misc Gear.

Khaustan Bright - Shii-Cho Knight (Human)
An ex-youngling, Khaustan was pushed to this planet as the last action of his Master before he was gunned down.  He's been stranded on this planet for years now, trying to maintain his weapons training and one day fight back.  Although he doesn't carry a Light Saber, he has some nice weapons at his disposal.

• Agility: 4, Brawn: 4, Cunning: 2, Intellect: 2, Presence: 2, Willpower: 2, Force: 1.
  • Athletics, Brawl, Cool, Melee, Coordination, Stealth, Vigilance: 2, Perception, Survival: 1.
  • Parry x3, Toughened, Multiple Opponents, Durable, Second Wind.
  • Enhanced Basic Power upgraded to Commit for Agility and Commit for Brawn.
  • Bolas x5, Shock Gloves, Armored Clothing, VibroSword with Balanced Hilt (Accuracy +2, Encumb -1) and MonoMolecular Edge (+2 Pierce, Crit 1).
  • House Rule: 25pt Parry in Tree replaced with Force Rating +1.

Syl - Shadow (Human)
The youngest of the group, this boy learned to survive in the rural areas through refinement of his telekinetic talents.  Unfortunately, he's not been the smartest about hiding his abilities, and those around know there's someone using mystic power, and are looking intently for their potential reward by nabbing whomever is responsible.  Syl is looking for a way off planet to start anew, and tries to hire himself out as a mechanic's apprentice to whomever's ear he can grab.

• Agility: 3, Brawn: 2, Cunning: 3, Intellect: 2, Presence: 2, Willpower: 2, Force 3.
  • Computers, Coordination, Deception, Mechanics, Skulduggery, Stealth: 2, Core Worlds, Perception, Streewise: 1
  • Sleight of Mind x2, Well Rounded (Coord, Mech), Code Breaker, Grit, Indistinguishable.
  • Move Basic Power: Silhouette 1, Range: Long, Control: Full.
  • Misc Tech Gear, donated 2,500 to the party to help.

Phoenix Firewalker - Pathfinder (Bothan)
As if being non-human on this human backwater planet wasn't bothersome enough, she is joined by a reptilian bird-like creature with a bad disposition.  Tolerated due to her healing skills, but not accepted, she jumps at the offer from Bartholemew to join him on his ship as ship's doctor.  Still, truth be told, she prefers the company of animals to that of people.  Her nature in the Force was put to use in the Council, and her survival was only due to the remoteness of her location when the Jedis were hunted.

• Agility: 3, Brawn: 1, Cunning: 3, Intellect: 3, Presence: 3, Willpower: 3, Force: 3
  • Medicine, Survival: 2, Pilot (P), Pilot (S), Ranged (L), Ranged (H), Resilience, Streetwise, Vigilance, Xenology: 1
  • Grit, Keen Eyed, Animal Empathy, Animal Bond, Force Rating, Mental Bond, Convincing Demeanor
  • Heal Basic Power: Add Medicine value, remove Strain
  • Blaster Pistol, Blaster Rifle, Armoured Clothing, Misc Medicinal gear and chemicals. 

Rhu'Dahgg - Advisor (Twi'lek)
The partner of Bartholemew, and first officer aboard the newly acquired ship.  Together they not only escaped the prison cells that held them, but hit pure luck when commandeering this vessel from the reparation shop at the space station.  Now Rhu seeks to regain his fortunes and hit back at the Empire that not only decimated his holdings but killed his family.  Although he is obviously aware of his Force aptitude, he has had no formal training in refining them, but rather has trained himself to the best of his ability.

• Agility: 2, Brawn: 1, Cunning: 3, Intellect: 3, Presence: 4, Willpower: 2, Force: 2
  • Charm, Coercion, Deception, Leadership, Lore, Negotiations, Outer Rim: 2, Cool, Leadership, Perception, Vigilance: 1
  • Plausible Deniability, Kill with Kindness, Nobody's Fool, Sense Emotions
  • Misdirect Basic Power: Medium Range, Control (Disguise, Illusion)
  • 5,000 Credits

Marv Ryans - Hunter (Human)
Marv was born and raised on this desolate excuse for a planet, and is practiced in the survival and hunting required to flourish on this planet.  He is second to none with a rifle, and now seeks bigger game.  He does not believe in "The Force", and doesn't seek it out, believing his superior senses to be a result of good genetics and training.

• Agility: 3, Brawn: 3, Cunning: 3, Intellect: 3, Presence: 2, Willpower: 3, Force: 1
  • Coordination, Perception, Pilot (P), Pilot ®, Ranged (H), Stealth, Survival, Vigilance: 2, Planetary, Ranged (L), Xenology: 1
  • Hunter x2, Expert Tracker x2, Toughened, Uncanny Senses, Keen Eyed, Rapid Recovery
  • Powers: Undecided
  • Heavy Blaster Rifle with Bipod Mount, Marksman Barrel (+2 Accuracy, Innate Talent), MultiOptic Sight (+2 Perception, -1 Diff Long/Extreme), Blaster Pistol, Heavy Clothing, Misc gear.

I'm working on the stats and layout of the Decimator, a stolen Imperial ship which is rare enough to not be identified as such by anyone without a Daunting skill check using Core Worlds.  

Given these restrictions, why would anyone choose not to play a Force user?  In particular, with the ability to "buy up" Force rating, a Force user would be much more powerful than a non-Force user.  If you only want Force users in the campaign, why not just say so?

I have to say that looks pretty fun.  FR is expensive enough that it's not really worth the XP...provided of course that you aren't requiring a DP per dark pip anymore, and tone down the effect of the use of dark pips...

Given these restrictions, why would anyone choose not to play a Force user?  In particular, with the ability to "buy up" Force rating, a Force user would be much more powerful than a non-Force user.  If you only want Force users in the campaign, why not just say so?

He also handles Darkside stuff waaaaay harsher too. So by his playstyle you need higher FRs because you really don't want to ever use anything but light pips to fuel your powers.

In his system flipping a pip is a huge offense and your character can expect some kind of karmatic reprisal down the road.

The key is that they have to keep it a secret from the rest of the group because it's quite probable that the bounty for a Force user would be worth the treachery of turning in a team mate.

I'm trying not to be a negative Nancy, I'm really not - but everything you've mentioned thusfar, this is the worst idea.  I have never EVER found a game (aside from Toon, Paranoia and maybe Cyberpunk 2020) where PVP was a good idea. Usually it ends in disaster with honest to god, real life hurt feelings and damaged friendships.

It takes a very special kind of mature player to be able to turn on and off that sort of betrayal. And of all the games I ran back in college, of all the games I ran for friends and random people at cons, I can only think of three that could handle PVP - and even then I would only go into it with full disclosure and all my cards on the table, and with a specific story arc in mind.

Use whatever rules you like, it matters not to me - but think VERY long and hard about this one.

Edited by Desslok

Well he's planning to use pregens, pehaps he could ditch the "sell each other out" option and replace it with "too many secrets." You know, have a secret connection between all the characters. Like character a is responsible for the death of bs family. B knows that c is actually a wanted thief, c stole the family signet ring a needs to claim his family fortune.

That way you've got that kinda sneaky backstabby stuff, but not the "I sell everyone out for a pile o credits, and succeed because I made 3 good rolls. One campaign over I win!"

Well he's planning to use pregens, pehaps he could ditch the "sell each other out" option and replace it with "too many secrets." You know, have a secret connection between all the characters. Like character a is responsible for the death of bs family. B knows that c is actually a wanted thief, c stole the family signet ring a needs to claim his family fortune.

That way you've got that kinda sneaky backstabby stuff, but not the "I sell everyone out for a pile o credits, and succeed because I made 3 good rolls. One campaign over I win!"

These aren't pregens, they're characters created by his players according to his rules.

A bigger problem would be the fact that the players will likely figure out everyone's a force user much earlier than the characters will.  All it would take would be two characters being on their own somewhere and using the force while all the players are at the table.  Boom!  Mystery solved, secret revealed.

Going to need a special type of player to be able to maintain the player/character knowledge separation -- though judging from his other thread, he might have a group that can handle it.

Of course, the alternative is to physically separate the players when the characters are physically separated, but that's a whole other logistical issue if the party tends to split up as frequently as mine have.

I find it more difficult and annoying as a player to ignore when another character perceives something important to the plot and then decides not to inform the other characters. Because force related secrets are generally "more secret," I suspect this kind of thing tends to come up more often. Until the force user is "outed" and the secretiveness dies down.

It can be fun to work through that kind of scenario, but eventually, if it drags on too long, it becomes just annoying as a player to have to jump through all those mental hoops time after time.

I can't comment on the characters and campaign concept much.  I will say I like the backgrounds on the characters, they seem well thought out, not too much to various stereotypes, and intriguing to play.

However, I'd disagree with the statement on the Decimator:

I'm working on the stats and layout of the Decimator, a stolen Imperial ship which is rare enough to not be identified as such by anyone without a Daunting skill check using Core Worlds.  

I'm assuming you're taking it from the X-Wing Miniatures model.  While it might be fairly rare to see them, they really look to me to be clearly Siener Fleet Systems ships, and really look very much Imperial Navy.  Still, it's actually a pretty good ship for an EotE campaign, being about the same size as a YT-1300, Firespray, or other light freighters. 

Regardless of what I said above, I'd be seriously interested in seeing what you come up with in stats and layout.  In my campaign, I can see a slippery Imperial garrison commander slicing up a requisition so he has one as his personal transport.  :)

Edit: typos *sigh*

Edited by Admiral Terghon

I find it more difficult and annoying as a player to ignore when another character perceives something important to the plot and then decides not to inform the other characters. Because force related secrets are generally "more secret," I suspect this kind of thing tends to come up more often. Until the force user is "outed" and the secretiveness dies down.

It can be fun to work through that kind of scenario, but eventually, if it drags on too long, it becomes just annoying as a player to have to jump through all those mental hoops time after time.

We will see... I'm not opposed to a bit of meta-gaming, but as a person that back in the 80's, played the game Paranoia where you all had secrets (Mutant, Secret Organization) that you had to try and find out in-game, I can think of a lot of ways to keep it fun with the guessing games.  :)  However, I also won't let it get out of control or become non-fun either.  

I can't comment on the characters and campaign concept much.  I will say I like the backgrounds on the characters, they seem well thought out, not too much to various stereotypes, and intriguing to play.

However, I'd disagree with the statement on the Decimator:

I'm assuming you're taking it from the X-Wing Miniatures model.  While it might be fairly rare to see them, they really look to me to be clearly Siener Fleet Systems ships, and really look very much Imperial Navy.  Still, it's actually a pretty good ship for an EotE campaign, being about the same size as a YT-1300, Firespray, or other light freighters. 

Regardless of what I said above, I'd be seriously interested in seeing what you come up with in stats and layout.  In my campaign, I can see a slippery Imperial garrison commander slicing up a requisition so he has one as his personal transport.  :)

Edit: typos *sigh*

You might be right, but I think they are suppose to be somewhat rare.  Imperial troops mostly travel by Capitol ships, and when it's a local flight, via a Lamda or small Tie Fighter if they're "special" I think.  The Decimator is a live-in, questing sort of ship.  I could see Imperials using them to scout new worlds or science expedition, but not as a core in their fleet... but I could be wrong.  :)  Anyhows, as soon as I finish my character-generator, I'll be working on that ship.  The next game is this weekend, so hopefully before Friday.    

I see that the Marv Ryans PCs powers are undecided. May I suggest the Sense power as that would be very appropriate for a Hunter to be "intuitively" aware of prey.

I think that's what he'll do, but likely just didn't want to spend the XP for it at CharGen.  By "undecided" I actually meant "unselected" I suppose.  :)  

Have Fun

My Last PostWas Me Reacting To What I Had Expected To See In The Comments HerE: Spill Over From TheHouse Rules Thread. That Hasn't Seemed To Happen, And Im Glad.

I Hope You And Your Players Haz Teh Funz :)

Thanks to finding DarthGM's YT-1930 online, I was able to modify it (albeit with no real skill) to work as my VT-49 Decimator.  Am ready for this weekend's game me thinks.

Changes:

• Moved Captain's Quarters and made them bigger.
  • Lost Workshop
  • Converted Escape Pod Room into a Shower
  • Converted GunWell area into Escape Pods location (transparent because they are below the surface with just mound entrances in the room)  Each pod holds 2 people who have to stand and are able to strap in tightly.
  • Moved GunWell (which is just a ladder against a wall) into the computer bay area.
  • Added a 2nd Refresher where the Personal Storage was.

VT_49_Decimator.png

Data:

Handling: 0

Speed: 4

Silhouette: 4

Defense: 2/2

Armor: 4

Haul Trama: 20

System Strain: 16

Hard Points: 2 (of 6)

Reinforced Shield Generator

High Output Ion Turbine

Hyperdrive Generator

1 Dorsal Turret Mounted Twin Medium Laser Cannons

- FireArc: All, Damage 6, Crit: 3, Range: Close, Linked 1.

2 Forward Mounted Medium Laser Cannons

-FireAcr: Forward, Damage 6, Crit: 3, Range: Close, Linked 1

I don't know enough about the game system yet to really evaluate the stats, but they look at least in the ballpark.  I have a couple suggestions for the deck plan:

1. The lounge should simply be the mess, with a very utilitarian look.  Granted, once players get a hold of the ship it would make sense to turn it into a lounge, but the Imperial Navy isn't big on comfort.  I'd also let part of the lounge space be fitness equipment.
  2. Let the single bunk be a double like the others.  If there are less crew, somebody gets to do without a roommate, but aside from the Captain, the rule would be to double-bunk.
  3. Dedicated cryo-storage seems like it would be special modification.  I think the default for a Navy ship would be just to load cryo-units into the regular cargo hold.
  4. I'd lose the shower space on the left and turn one of the refresher units into the shower. 
  5. Those mid-hull Falcon-like pods where you have the shower and landing ramp don't really exist on the model.  I'd try to avoid using them for anything.
  6. The model has two airlocks well aft near the cargo areas.  From the looks of it, if there's a landing ramp I'd say it was after, beneath the main engines.

Pretty good from going off another ship deck plan though.  If I feel a tad lazy (and I often do :)  ) I may use it.  If I do get motivated and make one based on my X-Wing model, I'll post it.

I agree Miishelle, based on this top-view of the Decimator: g_kdy_vt49_e_by_colonialchrome-d842f9r.p

The bridge should be on top, and the private areas (galley, living spaces) should be underneath and forward, with the "wings" hosting the large part of the cargo space, in my opinion.  Would make sense too, to keep the turret close to the bridge in an Imperial ship.  Sadly, I've resigned myself to the knowledge that I simply can't build anything as beautiful as the plans someone did for the YT-1930 (which has a similar design) via photoshop, so had to use my clone-stamp tool to modify something that already exists.  If I could have designed it myself, I would definitely have a different deck plan.  As is, I'm more programmer and less graphic design in my computer skills.  :/

Actually, ignore all that.  ColonialChrome on deviantart.com has deck plans for us.  LOTS of deck plans, but specifically some for the Decimator.  http://colonialchrome.deviantart.com/ is his page.

Upper Deck Picture (large)

vt_49_decimator_upper_deck_by_colonialch

Lower Deck Picture (large)

g_kdy_vt49_d2_sl_by_colonialchrome-d842f

Oh my.... Didn't realize this thread had gone to page 2, so posted before seeing this post... it's beautiful, and it's perfect.  I love it.  Thank you!  :D