Sign in to follow this  
patox

Are we out of Rebel Ships for Wave 7? Any guesses?

Are there any reasonable Rebel Ships in the Small and Large ship range out there? We're talking 50m and under.

There's one film canon ship that's left. The unnamed Rebel Tanker at the end of the Empire Strikes Back. it may or may not be under 50m.

rebelfleetshippod.jpg

Or do we go into Star Wars Rebels territory?

The VCX-100

Ghost.png

The Appazanna Engineering Works Wookie Gunship:

pic2222260.jpg

And if you go into extended universe/video games.

Do we stick with alphabet spaceships with the BTL-S8 K-wing assault starfighter

K-Wing_NEGVV.jpg

more alphabets with the BTS-A2 Long-Range Strike Fighter/Bomber H-Wing (also seen in the RPG book Stay on Target.)

SWA25-Hwing.png

Are there going to be even more freighters, because there is no such thing as too much YT action? And because everyone loves turrets?

YT1210-EotESoF.png

yt20001-1.jpg

Will they dig down into the archives for the Incom X4 Gunship.

Incom_X4.jpg

Or are they going to pull an Imperial Raider and make up a new Rebel small ship?

Not sure if FFG is ready to go full throttle and put out Star Wars Rebel ships. The characters may not even be alive during the Galactic Civil War time period of X-Wing.

The K-Wing and H-Wing also seem like quite the stretch.

Who has a guess? We're talking about a prediction here, not your dream/wish ship.

I think the biggest question people need to ask is, what roles and niches still need to be filled?

That's a dumb question. That implies that once those niches have been filled (as perceived by some authority), there is no reason for anything else to exist. That is a world devoid of inventiveness and creativity. That would mean that we would all be driving Ford cars now as there's no reason for anyone to have made a different model...

New ships could exist as alternatives over existing ships.

I think the biggest question people need to ask is, what roles and niches still need to be filled?

That would mean that we would all be driving Ford cars now as there's no reason for anyone to have made a different model...

Ford's a make/brand, not a model. Haha, sorry I couldn't help myself.

All trolling aside, I do think it is important for ships to have an identity. While more ships have collectable value, this won't translate into gameplay value. If you have 3 ships that do the same thing, then there is no reason to buy them.

I briefly considered this idea...what if FFG stopped issuing reprints? They could release new ships fulfilling the existing role, but new players would be out of luck on some classics.

I feel the firearms industry does this...AK's and AR-15's are consistently updated but aren't necessarily better. Sure, this is an oversimplified example, but a rifle is a rifle.

Ultimately, this is a bad idea because it creates A) social classes of players and B) an out of control secondary market.

I do have to say, though, the thought of a true "meta" in a story/component sense is interesting.

Edited by cody campbell

VCX 100 seems likely in the not too distant future, although I'm not sure exactly how they'll position it - possibly as a large base support ship, like the Lambda, though I'm not sure what it'll bring that the HWK doesn't. I'm sure FFG have some ideas though.

At some point, they're almost certainly going to end up tapping the prequels as well - that would give the rebels access to stuff like the N1, the ARC170, Delta 7 Aethersprite and the Eta 2 Actis (though those last two might be to small at the 1:270 scale). They might even release a "Heroes of the Republic" pack to get a couple out at once, like an Axes pack (N1 and ARC seem the most likely).

There's also the possibility of variants of existing ships - something like a Recon-X would be potentially very cool - a low cost, small base AWACS type ship, gathering and handing off target locks. It's different enough to a standard X wing to justify a new model, too.

Finally, don't be surprised if FFG finally get around to designing an atmospheric pack for the game in the near future. There are the factors that are making this increasingly likely:

1) As they're forced to go further and further into the relatively obscure EU, it makes the absence of the last iconic ship from the movies (the snowspeeder) more and more glaring.

2) We've seen in the trailer that some of the major battles in episode 7 will he happening in-atmosphere - we see TIEs, X Wings and the falcon all operating under combat conditions in atmo.

3) There's a lot of money to be made by selling atmospheric expansions - think of all the walkers, scenery etc. they'll be able to sell as expansions, not to mention things like finally having the framework for putting turbolaser batteries ingame and making a death star mission.

Hell, if they were really clever about it, they'd start the atmospheric component with an alternate starter kit/core set, with dice, templates etc. to maybe entoce a few new players who might be nervous about jumping in "late", as it were.

Anyway, this kind of wandered a bit off topic, so, my predictions for the wave 7 rebel ship are (in decreasing likelihood):

VCX 100

Naboo N1

ARC 170

Snowspeeder (with assoc. atmospheric rules)

Recon-X

Aethersprite

Actis

But who knows. There're still plenty of untapped EU ships I haven't thought of - I could very easily be way off.

I think it hinges a bit on whether FFG are willing to go down the medium base route.  Things like the ARC-170 won't really fit on the small base (unless it was double wide) and would swim on the large base, but could conceivably fit nicely on a 60mm base (mid way between the small and large).  There are some bounty hunter ships that also fit on that base size.  Potentially the Imperials could have something there, but I am not sure of the exact size of the Skipray, or Assault Gun boat.  

If FFG could find 3 medium base ships across the 3 factions they would have an interesting wave that changes the game up a bit.  

My one issue would be that IG-2000 is a bit dwarfed on large base, and would have fitted perfectly on a 60mm base, so maybe it isn't in the current thought process for the game. 

I'd like to see the ARC-170 for the rebels myself.  It has featured in the Age of Rebellion RPG so kinda fits.  It would presumably have the magical combo of crew and astromech that we have yet to see and potentially a rear arc, and the potential to be a very tanky dog fighter.

I think it hinges a bit on whether FFG are willing to go down the medium base route.  Things like the ARC-170 won't really fit on the small base (unless it was double wide) and would swim on the large base, but could conceivably fit nicely on a 60mm base (mid way between the small and large).  There are some bounty hunter ships that also fit on that base size.  Potentially the Imperials could have something there, but I am not sure of the exact size of the Skipray, or Assault Gun boat.  

If FFG could find 3 medium base ships across the 3 factions they would have an interesting wave that changes the game up a bit.  

My one issue would be that IG-2000 is a bit dwarfed on large base, and would have fitted perfectly on a 60mm base, so maybe it isn't in the current thought process for the game. 

I'd like to see the ARC-170 for the rebels myself.  It has featured in the Age of Rebellion RPG so kinda fits.  It would presumably have the magical combo of crew and astromech that we have yet to see and potentially a rear arc, and the potential to be a very tanky dog fighter.

Skipray's 25m, so a little shorter than the HWK at 29m. Is the HWK actually scaled right, though?

Gunboat's only 10m, shorter than an X-wing.

To me there are two rebel ships that will add something new to the game. The K-Wing as the slow bomber (I know its turreted, but they could think of something interesting like making it 3-5) It could also fix ordnances in some way.

500px-K-Wing_NEGVV.jpg

And the other one is the Nova Courier, giving the rebels a Shuttle. It has a nice design, descendant from the Medium Transport but different enough, with no turret (maybe) and with a role to fill.

YKL-37R.jpg

Chances are we will see the new XWING redesign as a cash in, plus we haven't even seen any of the other ships it may feature. Chances are wave 8 may be a movie tie - in wave.

I do want to see the ARC though.

I don't see any obvious candidates for small-based Rebel ships that aren't deeply rooted in the EU.

The YT-2000 (Otana) is a possibility as another large-based YT model, however as Emon Azzameen is S&V I'd expect it to arrive with S&V as well (you don't split la familia up).

Plenty of options for Imperials still to come, plenty of options for Scum.. but Rebels are getting thin on the ground.  More repaints/aces packs?  Green Squadron A-Wing?  Blue Squadron B-Wing?  X-Wing with closed s-foils and alternate paint scheme?  Grey Squadron Y-Wings?

There's always the A-Wing's obscure little brother, the T-Wing, ha. I think it's excluded because it wouldn't fill a new role, though.

The R-41 Starchaser seems like it would be a Rebel M3-A Interceptor (2 primary attack, cannon slot, missile slot, fairly cheap) but not quite as maneuverable. It might be made in this game, but it would be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I still think the K-Wing is set too far in the future for this game.

The ARC-170 might be used, even though it would look a little weird to see it fighting all the other ships when we've never seen it fight Imperial ships. (Have we? Wookieepedia says Galaxies and Battlefront II.)

I guess that Wookiee Gunship is kind of a cool option.

The ARC-170 is a possibility as a heavy fighter with an auxiliary arc; it'd pair well with a TIE Oppressor, which is essentially the same thing.

The H-wing is ugly as hell. It looks like an A-wing being inappropriatelly fondled from behind by a Y-wing - and I'm not sure the game needs more heavy laser cannons in turrets. It is interesting, though - a three man fighter, which is as many as any non large ship seen to date.

I think the K-wing is probably more of a Large base gunship. Not that I'm opposed to that, of course

I have a list of about 8 ships that would be nice for the Rebels, not including the Ghost or Phantom. There is plenty for them to continue on for a while, especially since I believe we will be going down to one ship per faction per wave. Yes, they will be delving deep into the EU. But, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Especially when they have shown the will continue to support the classic movie ships. 

I have a list of about 8 ships that would be nice for the Rebels, not including the Ghost or Phantom. There is plenty for them to continue on for a while, especially since I believe we will be going down to one ship per faction per wave. Yes, they will be delving deep into the EU. But, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Especially when they have shown the will continue to support the classic movie ships. 

Well let's see the list!

Well and lets not forget we have a new faction to populate with ships.  I am curious as to how the release schedule will go...  2-2-2 perhaps?

1 Rebel

1 Imperial

2 Scum

...would be more likely.  Still don't know exactly where that Rebel ship will be coming from, though.

Plus, production/shipping capacity for new waves is also likely to be limited by reprints of existing waves and box sets.  We may have seen the end of 4-ship waves with S&V.

Edited by FTS Gecko

That's a dumb question. That implies that once those niches have been filled (as perceived by some authority), there is no reason for anything else to exist. That is a world devoid of inventiveness and creativity. That would mean that we would all be driving Ford cars now as there's no reason for anyone to have made a different model...

New ships could exist as alternatives over existing ships.

It's weird that you mention a car manufacturer who literally only makes cars to fill niches and only makes a new type of car when they believe a new niche has opened. Auto manufacturers are the antitheses to your ideal.

Well and lets not forget we have a new faction to populate with ships.  I am curious as to how the release schedule will go...  2-2-2 perhaps?

1 Rebel

1 Imperial

2 Scum

...would be more likely.  Still don't know exactly where that Rebel ship will be coming from, though.

Plus, production/shipping capacity for new waves is also likely to be limited by reprints of existing waves and box sets.  We may have seen the end of 4-ship waves with S&V.

I think that 1-1-2 or 1-1-1 is most likely. Especially as we run low on Rebel (and to a lesser extent, Imperial) ships. They gotta stretch this as long as possible before they have to reboot it with a second edition =P

We have seen re-releases of ships in rebel/imp aces, epic ships etc

We will prob set that for other ships as well.

Rebel veterans (?) 

A Z-95 and a Y-wing with new pilots from early rebellion.

(and then imperial veterans)