Sign in to follow this  
RampageE11

Hero Luke Skywalker

I've enjoyed Imperial Assault, it's been great fun and like many others I was a wee bit disappointed that I could not play the campaign as  Luke Skywalker.

I enjoy the way that the campaign feels and that it could just slot into the continuity of the movies. 

That said I'm going to be play testing my Hero Luke Skywalker card.

HeroLukeSkywalkerCharacterCardFullHealth

HeroLukeSkywalkerCharacterCardWoundedcop

So I opted for a Luke with A New Hope back ground who is not so much learning the force but discovering his new abilities. 

So Each hero has their own XP Deck so I had to create a couple of XP Cards.

HeroLukeSkywalkerXPCardDL-22copy_zps959eHeroLukeSkywalkerXPCardQuickReflexescopyHeroLukeSkywalkerXPCardGreatShotcopy_zpsHeroLukeSkywalkerXPCardGreatCleavecopy_zHeroLukeSkywalkerXPCardJediMeditationcop

And each Hero has a mission

HeroLukeSkywalkerSideMissionHandoutcopy_

As I'm play testing this character this week I'd love to have some feedback from anyone. If it be regarding the Hero Card, XP Cards, or the Mission. I'd love to hear some feedback so I can make some adjustments. 

I hope you enjoy Hero Luke Skywalker and throw me some feedback from any play testing, I'd love to make him a great playable character and once he is working well there is always Han and Chewie?

This looks really fun and good work. No idea about the balance but might try it as a one off mission with myself to learn rules.

A small change i would do is to swap the dices for strenght and the eye (insight?). It feels more right that he is better at insight than strenght.

I also feel that the lightsaber should be better, I understand that you want it to be equal to dialas, but it does not have to be. My idea is to have an extra dice but amke the surge stuff worse, so more pure damage and less abilities, lto reflect thta he has not trained so much with it, he just chops at stuff.

I am curious as to how you came up with what to give him on his stat card and the xp cards. I am not trying to say they are bad just wondering how you came up with them because I am interested in making new heroes for this game as I have made a post about that already however, have no idea how or where to start.

Basically wondering how you did it so I may start on my own.

I think the skill to double is a bit dangerous, as it might trivialize some missions (Luke could get 8*2+2 = 18 MP in a single turn. I am not sure all missions can still work with this kind of movement rate), and with try that again, it can get even worse.

By the way, jedi meditation, it will of course heal 2 extra damage instead, since you rest your endurance worth you will always remove all strain when you rest, so meditaion will only remove damage.

Right?

By the way, jedi meditation, it will of course heal 2 extra damage instead, since you rest your endurance worth you will always remove all strain when you rest, so meditaion will only remove damage.

Right?

If say that the current wording that "you may remove an additional 2 Strain" is correct. Yes, it turns into removing 2 Damage, but is it was worded "When you rest you remove 2 Damage" then you wouldn't get to remove any strain. And it would be useless if you hadn't have any Damage on you.

So always better to have it automatically able to "spill over" into removing extra Damage

This looks really fun and good work. No idea about the balance but might try it as a one off mission with myself to learn rules.

A small change i would do is to swap the dices for strenght and the eye (insight?). It feels more right that he is better at insight than strenght.

I also feel that the lightsaber should be better, I understand that you want it to be equal to dialas, but it does not have to be. My idea is to have an extra dice but amke the surge stuff worse, so more pure damage and less abilities, lto reflect thta he has not trained so much with it, he just chops at stuff.

I know what you mean, I was weighing up the strengths of putting two die in Strength rather than Insight but with his potential force prowess it should probably be the other way around. 

With your Suggestion I'll look at a possible change to give Luke a Lightsaber as his initial weapon and maybe look at making the mission reward a Kaiburr Crystal Upgrade Card instead?

potential I'll have to look into it,

I am curious as to how you came up with what to give him on his stat card and the xp cards. I am not trying to say they are bad just wondering how you came up with them because I am interested in making new heroes for this game as I have made a post about that already however, have no idea how or where to start.

Basically wondering how you did it so I may start on my own.

I looked at Diala Passil and Luke Skywalkers cards. Both the Hero and the Scrimmage Variants.

The Diala Scrimmage card is a Gray card so that means from looking at how the downgraded that character I worked across from the red scrimmage Luke to build the Hero card.

Attached is a screenshot of my working out

HeroWork-NoCapes_zps217bb0c2.jpg

I think the skill to double is a bit dangerous, as it might trivialize some missions (Luke could get 8*2+2 = 18 MP in a single turn. I am not sure all missions can still work with this kind of movement rate), and with try that again, it can get even worse.

Yes, you are right, dangerous the dark side is I must have been lured, @Galdred What about a Deplete for an additional 2 movement points... or the possibility to dish the movement points to any character within 3 squares?

Right?

If say that the current wording that "you may remove an additional 2 Strain" is correct. Yes, it turns into removing 2 Damage, but is it was worded "When you rest you remove 2 Damage" then you wouldn't get to remove any strain. And it would be useless if you hadn't have any Damage on you.

So always better to have it automatically able to "spill over" into removing extra Damage

True, it would then allow his to heal extra damage during his turn if he didn't have strain mounting up from effects such as bleeding.

We have play testing the mission twice last night and both times it was a resounding Imperial Victory(Threat Level 2), with Imperial swarms filling up Outpost K68 before the rebels could even collect a third token. Why, Outpost guards triggers way too soon. Both times, at the end of Round 1 the Imperial player has placed two probe droids to the North Deployment point, moved one four squares within Line Of Sight of the Royal Guard Units and Triggering the Additional Strormtroopers and Imperial Guard. Now with the Royal Guard aiding in the protection of the stormtroopers and imperial officer it becomes quite a fight for our threat level two hero's to be able to handle. 

We are looking at deploying either 

a) Less Reinforcements, Just a Stormtrooper Squad. 

b) Delaying reinforcements to the end of the turn

c) Changing the guidelines from any figure to any hero figure. 

d) Changing the location of the North Imperial Deployment Token.

We'll play test each one and see what works. When I get the mission working properly, I'll look at Luke's abilities in regards to his campaign effectiveness and his meta movement. (Way to kill the game Rampage)

I like this idea.

However, I feel that he is actually quite weak as is.

"Use the Force" is terrible. An action and 2 strain for a green die is very bad. Compare to Garkaan who gets a move and 2 attacks for the same cost (or the modification that does this without strain). It should be imo, an action + 2 strain for a focused attack.

His starting weapon is subpar, comparable to Gideon's (but Gideon is support and lends his actions to others). However, with the above change to Use the Force, it is acceptable.

I don't have too much issue with his cards individually but as a whole his deck is very scattered and he doesn't know what he wants to be (Melee, Ranged, or support). That isn't necessarily bad however. Quick Reflexes should be adding a white die (Reflexes adding armor makes no sense), And "the force is strong" should only be 1 strain for the 2nd part (to allow 2 uses of use the force and the force is strong).

Anakin's Lightsaber is on the strong side, especially with "the great cleave". Should be pierce 2 and cleave 1 imo.

Also, some of the wording is not great and should be compared to similar existing abilities.

Edited by Deadwolf

I agree that "Run, Luke, Run" is far too powerful. How about replace it with:

"Heroic Escape"

Exhaust this card: Spend 2 strain to interrupt the current action and gain 2 movement points. These movement points must be spent immediately, and any unused movement points are lost at the end of the interrupt action.

Edited by Fizz

No, removing strain does not allow to recover damage if you cannot remove strain, only recovering strain allows to recover damage for each strain you cannot recover.

Edited by a1bert

Yeah, double movement is pretty powerful, thought I like the flavor.

Another thought I had- it'd be ambitious, but you could create a build for Jedi Luke, too, and treat that as almost an elite version of this hero- as such, you'd need to win Homecoming (or maybe a self-designed mission on Dagobah) to unlock it.

But yeah, looks pretty cool.  I bet a lot of people would like the option to play as the heroes in campaign.

You could check out the Homebrew Characters Thread for more ideas.

This game is very odd in that the main heroes of the movie aren't heroes in this game. Not that they don't come up with interesting characters for heroes, I just have no idea who the hell they are.

I just have no idea who the hell they are.

I think that's the point, though.  They're blank slates.  It's easy enough to justify Leia or IG-88 jumping in a couple missions to help out here and there, but it would be strange if they were there for a whole campaign- though, once an ally or villain is earned, that's a possibility.

Quick reflexes is way over powered for a 1 xp skill. But it would be almost necessary given how squishy Luke is. 10 hp is not much for a hero. I get why you did it but I would still give him at least 11 or 12 hp.

I think the main problem is a lack of focus with him. There's nothing really cohesive to his class cards and nothing thematic either other than the names. If I may suggest: Luke is a untrained force user, run with that make him work around being focused, like great shot does. Maybe exhaust a card to interrupt to move two spaces when focused (just gaining mp in your activation if not). When you get a harmful condition become focused. Etc. Just a thought

This game is very odd in that the main heroes of the movie aren't heroes in this game. Not that they don't come up with interesting characters for heroes, I just have no idea who the hell they are.

They are supposed to be other (of the millions) of characters working behind the scenes. The canon characters are set, but with the different setups you can customize your hero to your play style.  I think it is a great idea.