MajorJuggler

New Player "Quick Start" List Guide

Chiraneau + Whisper (Hybrid turret + Phantom) 
Chiraneau + Echo (Hybrid turret + Phantom)

Both missing Advanced Cloacking Device

Another Rebel Swarm played at Worlds (i think it reached top 32

3x Blue Squadron + Advanced Sensors; 2x Bandit Squadron

Good Damage Output and easy to fly

MJ is this something that you plan on maintaining and updating? If you are, how do we get this made into a sticky?

I plan on maintaining and updating this thread and updating the linked PDF. Hence why it is listed as v1.00 right now.

This thread is linked to in the pinned Index of Useful Links, near the top under a new Strategy: Squad Building section.

If you really want it pinned in this forum, then you could PM the FFG Forum admins like FFG_josh, and request that it be pinned. I'm not sure what their standards for pinning is, as the only thread that I have seen pinned is my Index thread.

Note: Because the Dauntless title triggers after the "execute maneuver" step but before "check stress" step of the activation phase, revealing a green maneuver will allow you to perform the free action from Dauntless, gain a stress, and then immediately remove the stress. However, if you start the activation phase with a stress, then you cannot perform the free action from Dauntless regardless of the maneuver revealed, since the stress removal occurs after the Dauntless triggers in the "check stress" step, and no ship can perform actions (even free actions) while stressed.

I would consider adding a little bit of explanation about how stress works with the "Dauntless >> Daredevil >> Dauntless >> Other Action" action stack. I've found that that's the part that some people have trouble wrapping their heads around.  

Really comprehensive list, well done putting it together.

A small critique is maybe there's too many lists that a new player would find it overwhelming? Especially where so many of the lists contain ships and upgrades that aren't even released yet or house rules... which I think I would find confusing as a new player...

My worry is that a significant proportion of these lists require house rules to function as written. House rules are not FAQs or Errata, and have no weight whatsoever at events, or indeed anywhere else. A good way to make your opponent **** wary about you as a person from the get-go is to say "Hi, my name is... I built a list, but do you mind if I reduce the cost of all ordnance by 1pt so I can fit loads of missiles into my ships?"

House rules have a place, but it's between friends and long term club members, not as a starting point for new players who are trying to meet new people, turn up at clubs or events for the first time and so on. Frankly I wouldn't put any house rules in this thread at all, just keep it stocked with archetype examples - so a couple of swarm lists, a couple of mini swarms, etc etc, all using official rules. That would serve new players a lot better than lists that don't actually work with current rules and ship availability.

MJ The Doom Shuttle + 4 scimitars + Proxy mines "The Mined of Vader" is called "Victory is Mined"  just FYI.  This is a great list of squads you have here.

That does sound familiar. Are you sure though? I PM'ed Mark on Team Covenant directly to ask him, and he said the "Mined of Vader".

Edit: nevermind, you are right.

http://teamcovenant.com/sablegryphon/2014/11/10/victory-is-mined-2014-worlds-list-recap/

Edited by MajorJuggler

I believe this approach to House Rules should be straightforward and non-imposing. I have updated the text description to the squads here according to the following. You can run anything without House Rules, but you can also see how much help certain squads need to roughly on par with the other competitive squads.

Difficulty level: Some squads are harder to fly than others. This does not mean that a squad is inherently better or worse, it just requires a higher player skill to reach a minimum level of performance. Each squad has a color coded difficulty listed as Very EasyEasyMediumHard, or Very Hard

House Rules: All of the ships and all of the Archetypes are represented with both factions, but some of the resulting squads are inherently less effective than others. All of the squads here can be built without any House Rules. However, some squads include completely optional House Rules for balancing purposes. Each squad has a color coded description indicating roughly how much balancing is required for that squad to typically become competitive at a "top tier" level, listed as NoneVery LittleModerate, and Significant.

The squads in this post present the stock rules first, with House Rule options listed later. The squads presented in the PDF display the House Rules as default, with text descriptions on how to build the squad in stock form instead. This is easiest because the House Rules are pictorially displayed. (Note: color coded balance indicators in the PDF will appear in version 1.01).

Edited by MajorJuggler

This is really fantastic that you've put this together for people.  Great Job!

Top resource MajorJuggler and a fantastic looking document too!

Thanks guys for the positive feedback!

Like the changes, definitely think this should be pinned.

I'll try and get the PDF version updated soon, so it matches the text here. Hopefully tomorrow night.