Sign in to follow this  
Budgernaut

Budgernaut's painting thread

I've been having a blast painting my figures. I'm pretty much finished with everything except the good guys and the AT-ST. I also haven't finalized how I'll do the bases. I was going to wait until I was done with everything, but I'm too excited about my Trandoshan Hunters.

Trandoshans are my 2nd favorite Star Wars species (after Gands), so I really wanted these guys to turn out well. As I looked at the figures, I could tell that they had the typical flight suit like Bossk. That made me think of the Trandoshans from Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy. I used to use cheats to spawn as a Trandoshan and change my player side to player (since trandoshan model default is to be evil) and then play through the game as a Trandoshan Jedi or Sith. One thing you notice with the spawn command is that the flight suit color is random. If I recall correctly, the colors are blue, green, yellow, red, and grey. I'm not keen on grey, but the other four are great. As soon as I saw the flight suit on these models, I knew I wanted to paint them like the ones from JK3:JA.

The next decision was scale color. My initial thought was to do brown like Bossk, but then it came to my attention that these figures have the ACP shotguns from Republic Commando. The Trandoshan mercs in that game are all green. Additionally, I had been watching The Clone Wars while painting the other figures and saw the episode with the Trandoshan Hunters. Some of them were yellow-brown and some were green. I decided to do both. It will help in distinguishing groups as well.

Enjoy!

IMG_1902_zpsdec9a5c4.jpg

IMG_1903_zpsda4325e5.jpg

Edited by Budgernaut

Looking good Bug, i started the jedi chick first and she came out great, also did the wookie but still need to do some washes on him. Wish i had a decent camera to show them off.

Alright, I'm finally done. To begin with, here is the link to my photobucket folder with all my Imperial Assault painting stuff. If you're interested in alternate angles and things, check it out: http://s285.photobucket.com/user/Budgernaut/library/Imperial%20Assault%20Painting?sort=3&page=1

I'll start by posting what I finished last: my heroes. Eyes are super hard. I just went for solid black on most of them. In hindsight, I just wish I hadn't painted them at all. Also, a trick of the light made me think Gaarkhan's armor was green in the depressions. I was wrong, but didn't realize that til I was already pretty far into it. I decided to stick with it and say it's genuine katarn leather with katarn scales embedded in the armor.

IMG_1936_zps0ea8db97.jpg

My favorite one is Jyn. I went with a satin finish on the hair to keep her hair luscious and lustrous (like a conditioner add).

IMG_1955_zps40d0eeee.jpg

How much for the whole lot? :)

LOL!

Joking aside, though, I've considered whether I would take someone else's figures and paint on commission if asked by someone at  my FLGS. I think I'd have to decline because 1) I'm really not that great of a painter -- this is the first painting project I've seen through to completion, and 2) I think I averaged at least 2 hours per figure after trimming and priming. That's 68 hours of painting. I really muscled through these to get them done and I don't think I could get a second set done in a reasonable amount of time. And 3) they mean so much more to you when you paint them yourself.

What colors did you use for the yellow/brown Trandoshans? I re-watched the same Clone Wars episodes to see what they had used. I had totally forgot about Jedi Knight 3, I loved playing as a Keldor Jedi. Anyways nice paint jobs!

I'd say about half the colors I used were mixed, so it's hard to say. I had this pale yellow paint and I think I mixed that with Golden Brown to get that brown/yellow trandoshan color. I used craft paints from Michael's.

EDIT: While I'm replying to this thread, I want to add a note about varnish. I'm using a brush-on acrylic varnish that I got for super cheap at a craft store. I put one layer on, but I still noticed quite a bit of chipping on the corners. Last night I put on a second layer of varnish, but this time I sort of globbed it on (not really, but I did put it on much thicker than before). For the most part, the varnish dried clear, so you can still see the details of the figures. But there is a little bit of diffraction from the extra layer causing the paint to feel somewhat more "distant" than it was before. Given the trade-off between slightly subdued colors and sharpness vs. paint chipping off, I'll take the former.

Edited by Budgernaut