Sign in to follow this  
LanceND

Tablets - Running a game?

I am thinking of picking up a 10" tablet to keep all my rule books on and for running games with.

Has anybody had any experience of this?

A quick google search says it is great, but a lot of the apps they use are D&D or PF ones. Are there any good ones for RT other than the ones found on this forum?

I would suggest to buy notebook instead. If you have any skill on a regular keyboard (i.e. typing quick enough to make notes during the game) you will LOVE having one at hand as you can pin down all the little things you make on the fly.

Tablets work great for this. If I can get my players all to use one I do. It's especially good because they're coming out with programs that work by bluetooth and keep track of individual player movements and LoS and such.

Gegorius21778 The main reason i am thinking tablet is i have the chance to get a dual core one for cheap. 

shadowclasper what programs are you using for RT? Most of the info i am finding online is more D&D specific. I will probably still use battlemaps and such. My players like the physical aspect of moving miniatures about.

Edited by LanceND

Yes I do, and I love the touchscreen feature for that reason.  I keep all my books on the cloud and on a flash drive.  I like to have back-up, plus when I don't have a wifi connection I can still read the pdfs off my flash drive.  I don't even use my books, which all still look brand new.

Chromebooks won't run a program, though, and my cell phone's processor is more powerful.

I've tried to use a tablet - mind you, a 7-inch one - and the lack of a keyboard is somewhat of a problem. With a 10-inch tablet with a frame and a keyboard (or a case that offers both) you can probably do around 80% of what you can with a notebook.

I have my players at a pretty decent level now (mostly 5's with a couple barely 6's) and i find it way easier to run a laptop with a tablet floating for reference mats. I also print up extra reference mats that i see getting used a ton to make the passing of the tablet less often. I do have a couple players that bring a tablet and it helps but I still find the laptop to be easier and at the heart of it. I usually run a Word program with hit points, armor movement ( quick ref.) for the baddies and I absolutely require the players to be 100% on the ball with their character( I tell them I have 100's of people they have 1...)

In the end i did not get the 10" tablet, they had sold out!

Anyway i have been playing using a 7" table to test the theory and it works well. I am typing up my notes in MS word and using hyperlinks to link to hands outs. Tap the link, and hold up tablet for the group to see so saves on paper and makes it all slicker. I save this as an html file so it can be loaded in Chrome on the tablet. This also means i can use sound effects or videos to help bring in extra atmosphere.

All i have behind my board is core rulebook, tablet, small notepad and dice. A lot less clutter from having a pile of loose paper or even a laptop.  

initiative and notes i just use the notepad, it is a lot less hassle than switching apps and i find it quicker to write than type. And once i get the larger tablet i wont need the rulebook as i will buy the PDFs to run off the tablet for ease and more space. Same again with tabletop 40k.

So yeah, i highly recommend it if you have one. Even on a small tablet for just your notes it is very handy for hand outs and playing sound effects. The larger tablet take it a step further by being easier to use for reading rulebooks and for making it easier for the players to see those handouts you are holding up.

I use a blackboard and a computer :D We always use an available room at the university so I can draw and write down things on the blackboard. If we get our hands on a meeting room we also have a very nice surround stereo+TV for music and such

I highly recommend using the cloud.  My place of employment required me to learn google drive and I use it now for my games as well.  I can share it with my players and they can access it the same time I do and even watch as I edit it.  I also use smartboard technology at work and am working on a way we can all draw on maps and other graphics simultaneously.