Sign in to follow this  
icestormganon

possible ep7 spoiler. New TIE

I think the panels rotate back into flight mode.

Absolutely correct!

That was the first thing i thought when i saw it. While flying it will have the elongated ends forward or backward facing. I would bet on forward. That would make it seem like a huge Tie Interceptor just without the "squint" sparings at the forward end of the panels.

That thing must be the smaller successor of the Lambda for transporting important people (or stuff) The "Tie Transporter" of some sort XD

Well concerning the imperials still being there after 30 years, that seems pretty logical. Even in the EU it took years and years until the New Republic only had conquered the most important piece of the galaxy, and the remnants of the Empire were never entirely removed.

It's not really logical to think the Empire and all its Moffs and other leaders would just disappear because the Death Star II blew up and the Emperor was gone.

Edited by ForceM

The Royal Guards would presumably do their best to play Praetorian and annoint some kind of successor who they deem both strong enough to hold the Imperial Remnant together and yet also pliable enough for them to influence behind the scenes.

The fact that they appear in the art suggests that they were successful, as any competent successor who didn't come to power under their aegis would presumably have abolished them and replaced them with a loyal guard corps of his own.

As for the TIE variant, I agree that it very much looks like a swing-wing ship that rotates the wings up for landings and down (pointy ends forward) for flight mode. SW has lots of precedent for this already, from the Lambda to the Firespray and more.

Functionally, I'd probably call it a cutter. It's a combat-capable ship designed to ferry a high-ranking officer (Admirals and above, probably) from ship to ship or from ship to shore. It'd be more important to have something truly capable in a fight during a time of upheaval and civil war, as you'd want to be as safe as possible during the vulnerable times when you're not on a flagship or in a secure bunker. You'd not want to trust in the good graces of your fellow Admirals, let alone Moffs and Grand Moffs, or most especially ambitious underlings.

Well concerning the imperials still being there after 30 years, that seems pretty logical. Even in the EU it took years and years until the New Republic only had conquered the most important piece of the galaxy, and the remnants of the Empire were never entirely removed.

One of the parts of the EU that I most enjoyed was that the Empire gradually lost ground, became less racist, less sexist and (I think) democratic and eventually joined the New Republic. And the various authors managed to make the transition seem plausible and to take a reasonable amount of time.

Of course, from what I understand, the NJO stuff then fubared everything.