VirMortalis

Beginners Guide to Campaign

Since setting up the 1st campaign can be a daunting task for anyone new to this style of game (myself included) here is something I think might be useful for you.

Remember the aim is to have fun so I would recommend a dry run first before committing to the campaign this way you can see how the mission plays out. Remember the Reference Cards, Rules Reference Guide and Learn to Play books will be invaluable and always the forum is here to help you with any advance ruling. 

Upon getting your very own copy of the SW:IA game take everything out and organise into piles, leave the cards inside their plastic container and the figures for the time being, what we are doing here is sorting out that you have the tiles, they have come off the blister pack ok and that you have the correct amount of items needed using the Learn to Play for the number of items in each section.

With the map pieces I did 1-10 11-20 21-30 and so on and then put them in separate food bags (temp for now) which means you can easily find what your after as the mission continue.

Now since you are playing the campaign and not the skirmish you can be picky with which cards bring out of the packaging (ideally all cards will be sleeved to protect them).

For the campaign you will need;

• Rules Reference Guide (RRG)
  • Campaign Guide (CG)
  • 6 Hero Cards
  • 39 Deployment Cards 3 decks 
  • 10 Story Mission Cards 
  • 14 Side Mission Cards
  • 18 Agenda Cards
  • 5 Reference Cards
  • 54 Hero Class Cards 6 Decks 9 cards each character)
  • 27 Imperial Class Cards 3 Decks 9 cards in each
  • 36 Item Cards 3 Decks 12 cards in each
  • 12 Supply Cards
  • 18 Reward Cards
  • 12 Condition Cards 3 Decks 4 cards in each
  • 45 Damage Tokens 35x 1 damage 10x 5 damage
  • 8 Terminal Tokens
  • 8 Crate Tokens
  • 1 Entrance Token
  • 35 Strain Tokens
  • ID Tokens for multiple groups
  • 20 Mission Tokens 8 Rebel & Imperial and 12 Neutral
  • 15 Condition Tokens 3 Types 5 of each
  • Ally & Villain Token (Replace when you get the model)
  • 4 Activation Tokens
  • 11 Dice 1 white die and 2 of each red, blue, green, yellow
  • 4 Door Tokens with stands
  • 1 Threat and Round counter

Opening up the additional Packs for Luke & Vader you will get some more cards which will slot into Story, Agenda and Reward decks

You notice you have some assembly to do the Threat & Round counter needs putting together and the AT-ST will need some assembly, following the instructions on page 2 of the Learn to Play guide you should have no issues doing this.

Now that you have sorted all the bits your ready to get cracking with the game. Choose who will be the Imperial and who will play as the Rebels and choose the Heroes that will take part in your campaign.

Each hero will then be give their class deck which contains 9 cards, each hero will automatically get a weapon given to them these cost 0 xp and are available from the start you will notice the weapons are basic, these cards tell you what you will roll when it comes to attacks and your character sheet will show you the dice to roll when defending. Again all covered in the Learn to Play.

The Imperial Player will have the Campaign Guide and not show the Rebels anything within, he/she will set up the mission placing the Tokens as they appear in the diagram and deploy his troops where they start, taking the card for the deployment from the Imperial Deck and placing them face up, the reserve cards for the mission are taken out and faced down so the Rebels can not see what they are.

The Imperial player will read out the Mission, what the Rebels need to do in order to win and what the Imperial player needs to do in order to win, and if there is a timer how many Rounds it will take before the Rebels automatically loose.

The Imperial player will put 0 Threat on the counter and turn the round dial to 1 for the first round, and the Rebels will begin, at the start of round 2 the Imperial will gain threat equal to the value found on the campaign log

Since nothing as been exhausted prior to start of round your able to commence into the action, this means you can opt to do the following

• Move once and shoot
  • Shoot twice
  • Move twice
  • Move and interact with a terminal, door or other mission token

You can spend 2 strain to move 2 additional places, this doesn't count as an action! also note you can move - shoot - move as long as you have the movement points to do it, eg you have Speed 4 you move 2 spaces, shoot, then you use your remaining 2 spaces to move depleting your movement points for the round.

Once you have performed any 2 actions your character is exhausted and the Imperial player will get his turn.

Reminders:

• The ( ) logo on the black and white dice cancels 1 surge
  • You can only use the surge abilities once per attack 
  • You can use unspent surge on recovery this will remove 1 strain per 1 surge if no strain 1 damage per 1 surge
  • You have to use an ability to interact with terminal, door and tokens
  • If you are wounded you will drop any tokens your carrying and are not able to pick anymore up
  • Once wounded any strain is kept but any strain over your new limit is removed
  • Imperial players can spend Threat to replenish lost units from the initial set up these are deployed in or as close to the initial set up as they can get also replenish Stormtrooper at the cost of 2 threat per model as shown to bring their squad back to 3 these models are deployed as close as the remaining trooper

As you play through mission you can interact with crates, these crates give you items to use in the mission being played, they do no carry over. The crate however at the end is worth 50 credits.

Once you come to the end of the mission depending who won the mission you follow the CG each Rebel hero will receive at least 1xp and 100 credits each and the Imperial will get 1xp and 1x Influence depending on the mission. Win Bonus will apply after as stated.

So you have 4 Rebel heroes in play that is 400 credits earned, you collected crates at 50 credits each and you get a win bonus of 100 credits per hero you can potentially earn 1000 credits to spend on your team.

The Campaign Log will show you which reward decks your allowed to draw cards from, your will get the I II III decks shuffle the I deck and draw 6 cards then you choose to purchase from them cards.

Using the XP gained look at character deck and see if you want to buy anything from there, remember you dont have to use your credits or xp point you can bank them to get better items.

The Imperial player will then check his XP and Influence and purchase Agenda cards and upgrades.

Bring out the next mission card and then using the side missions the Rebel player chooses 2 at random and then picks one to play you will have 1 active story 1 active side missions and 1 side mission in play 

Remember to keep a record of XP, Influence, Credits and purchased rewards and cards etc... 

Edited by VirMortalis

Nice write up. A game like this can be overwhelming for someone unfamiliar with the concept. I'd like to think that people would play a few skirmishes before jumping into a full campaign but thats just me I suppose.

Edited by Plexi

The Imperial player will put 2 Threat on the counter and turn the round dial to 1 for the first round, and the Rebels will begin

Can you point to where it says the imperial player starts with threat? I have poured through the rule book and have not found it. I did find a reference for "setting up the mission" and it specifically says put the threat counter to 0 and the round dial to 1.

RRG Page 23

During a campaign, the Status Phase consists of the following steps:

1. Increase Threat: The Imperial player increases the threat dial by the threat level as listed on the campaign log. 

RRG Page 24

Threat

During a campaign mission, the Imperial player spends (threat) to deploy and reinforce figures to the game board.

Each Status Phase, Threat is increased by the mission’s threat level printed on the campaign log. Threat level is also frequently referenced to determine a particular value in many missions
Edited by VirMortalis

RRG Page 23

During a campaign, the Status Phase consists of the following steps:

1. Increase Threat: The Imperial player increases the threat dial by the threat level as listed on the campaign log. 

RRG Page 24

Threat

During a campaign mission, the Imperial player spends (threat) to deploy and reinforce figures to the game board.

• Each Status Phase, Threat is increased by the mission’s threat level printed on the campaign log. Threat level is also frequently referenced to determine a particular value in many missions

There is no status phase at the beginning of round 1. So the imperial player will not start the game with threat. The status phase is at the end, that is when the threat dial moves.

The way it is shown here, you would have 4 threat at the first status phase in a threat level 2 mission. 6 threat in a 3 threat mission.

Learn to play page 10. Mission setup

Prepare Threat and Round dial: The Imperial player sets the threat dial to 0 and the round dial to 1

*Edit*

This is still not correct

From OP

The Imperial player will put 0 Threat on the counter and turn the round dial to 1 for the first round, and the Rebels will begin, upon Imperial Activation they will add the initial threat indicated on the Campaign Log sheet found at the rear of the Campaign Guide

There is no "initial threat" Unless I am missing that. Threat only gets added during a status phase. Status phase is at the end of the round. The counter will remain 0 until the first status phase at the end of the round. Then the threat will move up by the amount specified on the campaign sheet. With the exception of missions that state that there is an initial threat level like "Vipers Den"

Edited by Kilazar

I am mistakenly reading this ruling then - Apologies

No prob! Good job on the rest. Typo's and misreads are expected with this many rules. I am using this as a reference and that was the only thing I found that was odd :D

This is a very valuable post for the first timers. 

Are you permitted to spend more than one surge on recovery? I was of the impression that it was a once per attack feature. (I am likely mistaken?)

**** or... You know... I could just read the previous post >.>

Edited by ShadowLink0987

I think this is a great write up.

I was only thinking one thing, about movement.

As an action, you can generate move points = your speed value.

This creates a pool of move points which can be spent one for one to move your piece one space at any point during your turn.

So you can generate the pool of points, attack, then spend them to move. or move spending half of them, attack or interact, then move spending the rest (or even some)

Unused move points are lost at end of turn.

Move points gained out of turn (Fenn or Imperial Officer) must be spent immediately or lost.

Strain to gain move points adds to the pool of points, and can be combined with other move points to overcome extra movement costs for passing through hostile figures or hindering terrain (water etc).

this game badly needs an app like the one for Mansion of Madness. The campaign is just plain confusing on what deck is what, when you increase threat and when the imperial player can use it, and so forth, it gets worse after a few scenario unless you wrote everything down... your lost. Not fun. This is a great simple write up that is superior to the 50 page manual that is even more confusing. Can you explain the movement of large bases again.. sheesh..

So, after the mission is over, you pull x  number of items you can buy for your rebels, some rebels(chick with the red coat and plaster) can search through the deck though to pull out something else, not sure how that works out, I guess she just pulls from the deck or chooses from the cards already pulled for her to buy stuff..

Jyn's Smuggler's Luck allows to draw one extra random item card, not search the item deck.

I can explain the large figure movement if you prefer that to reading it from the RRG.

Edit:

The Move action allows to perform a move, which gives movement points according to the Speed of the figure and finishes immediately.The Move action does not move the figure, spending the movement points moves the figure. When performing a move during your activation, the movement points go into the movement point pool. If movement points are received out of your activation or as part of a special action, they must be spent immediately or be lost.

Spending movement points moves the figure. Movement points can be spent before or after actions during your activation, but not during actions.

There is no facing in Imperial Assault. There is no backwards or forwards or left or right. Every figure moves one space at a time, large figures only using orthogonal directions, small figures can also move diagonally. (See movement examples from the end of the RRG.)

To fit through 2-space-wide corridors, sometimes the 2x3 figures need to rotate 90 degrees (which also costs 1 movement point). Rotation is also useful in trying to gain line of sight to rebel figures or leaving line of sight yourself. When rotating, and only when rotating, a large figure must occupy at least 50% of the spaces it occupied before the rotation.

When moving a space or rotating, a large figure exits all spaces it occupied, and enters all the spaces it occupies afterwards.

A non-massive, non-mobile large figure needs to pay extra movement cost if any of the spaces it enters contains difficult terrain or hostile figures, but only once per category.

A figure can enter a space with another figure only if it can end movement in a legal space.

A Massive figure can end movement on top of other figures. If it does so, it can not move again during the same activation, the same end of round, or the same start of round. (But it can move again during a different activation during the same round.)

Edited by a1bert

The Imperial player will put 0 Threat on the counter and turn the round dial to 1 for the first round, and the Rebels will begin, at the start of round 2 the Imperial will gain threat equal to the value found on the campaign log

I thought the threat was given at the status phase, before you move the round dial

I can't tell you how many times I referred to this post by a1bert (who has written this many times as I found in my endless googling :D) when I did my first campaign. As IP there can be a bunch of subtle things where this timing/order makes a big difference. I was really overwhelmed trying to keep everything straight. But this simple ordering became my reference and it was huge for me to keep sanity while running the campaign.