Sign in to follow this  
mouthymerc

What's your scenario?

Just interested in what people intend to run. Playing as yourselves? Made characters? Using an included scenario? Making one up or maybe tweaking one of the included ones?

I like "Under the Skin".

Gonna run my group through that once we get the chance. I like the idea of parasites.

My book is on its way but i know one of my players want to still make themselves but when they were 25 and I'm fine with that. The rest are as well. As for scenarios the parasite one sounds cool but it reminds me of resident evil games that i hated. I liked the older ones with the slower moving zombies. I will wait to see what they have and maybe adapt one of my own if needed. Can't wait to delve into it.

I hope they create a master plotline that allows this. It would be so cool to move from a zombie game, then have an alien invasion, and so on all with the same characters.

I haven't even read all of the scenarios in the ZA book, so I'm not certain if there is a "best" order to run those.

I haven't even read all of the scenarios in the ZA book, so I'm not certain if there is a "best" order to run those.

The scenarios aren't quite like that.

The book details five different scenarios for how your zombie apocalypse comes about.

• "Night of the Meteor"--a meteor breaks up in the atmosphere dispersing a cosmic radiation everywhere which causes the dead to rise.
  • "No Room in Hell"--the dead rise due to supernatural reasons, although it isn't specified exactly how.
  • "Pandemic"--the dead are rising due to a virus.
  • "It Ends with a Whisper"--the dead are raised through mystical means, specifically voodoo.
  • "Under the Skin"--the dead rise due to a parasite.

Each scenario comes with information on running campaigns during the apocalypse and post-apocalypse, including the types of zombies and npcs appropriate for each.

If the future books run on similar patterns, they will also come with multiple types of scenarios to run their end times. But I could see some symmetry between lines, especially with Night of the Meteor and Under the Skin with Alien Invasions or even No Room in Hell and It Ends with a Whisper with The Wrath of the Gods possibly.

I will get my copy soon. My group is excited to all play as ourselves. I am excited to be able to use Google Maps/Google Earth as maps/combat spaces.

That's what I was going to do also.  If I'm ambitious, I'll project Google maps on the TV and the players can "see" where they are running, getting supplies, etc.

I'm currently setting up a Night of The Meteor game. Looks like the most straight-forward scenario. I also like the slow-burn aspect of it: introduce them to zombie beasts first and slowly ratchet up the horror/difficulty.

I'm also eyeballing Under The Skin for a quick, one-off, game. Starts fast, highly infectious to the players, tough baddies, and a absolutely unstoppable boss to finish them off in the most spectacular way possible.

I'm also eyeballing Under The Skin for a quick, one-off, game. Starts fast, highly infectious to the players, tough baddies, and a absolutely unstoppable boss to finish them off in the most spectacular way possible.

Yeah me too. I have an idea for a one set in the antarctic on a base a la "The Thing". I might run it as a prelude to the actual game with throwaway characters to help with grasping the mechanics.

I am looking forward to running a game of this with my gaming group.  We always play at my house since I have a big game room and no children or indoor pets to contend with.  They will be lucky if "the end" starts at my house since it'll give them access to an assortment of firearms, ammo and bladed weapons.  That might make things a little anti-climatic.

Im running the Voodoo senario, and everybody is going to be playing as themselves. I have a bunch of zombie models and made models for each individual players.

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/dark-futures

I got a dry erase Pathfinder grid map thing, so I can draw buildings/streets and such on it and have a good idea of spacing.

Ill use google maps too, cuz it will be fun to follow them around, and it will help for when I pull out the grid and models.

I was thinking of starting my group with Night of the Meteor, but the more I think about it the more I want to run them through It Ends with a Whisper. The whole being brought about by voodoo doesn't seem to be connected to zombies any more, at least not with my group. So I think it would actually be the biggest twist for them to learn that there are living humans controlling the zombies. I also like the thought of them being participants in the Voodoo War.

I was thinking of starting my group with Night of the Meteor, but the more I think about it the more I want to run them through It Ends with a Whisper. The whole being brought about by voodoo doesn't seem to be connected to zombies any more, at least not with my group. So I think it would actually be the biggest twist for them to learn that there are living humans controlling the zombies. I also like the thought of them being participants in the Voodoo War.

Thats why Im doing to voodoo one too. I love the quote in the book at the very beginning. Something like "everyone forgot where zombies actually started from..."

It will really throw them for a loop when they see living and dead zombies that possess some concious thought, opening doors, using guns and stuff.

Finally got more details on my own on going series. It begins with a plane crash at the zoo. I have players play as throw away npcs that work at the zoo. Then when I've killed them all of as gruesomely as possible I switch over to the actual player characters on the other side of town as they are watching live new feeds of the incident.

Fast forward....

Researchers band together and discover the truth about the infection after they realize how rapidly it has

begun to spread around the country and world (mostly the US and across Europe). Code named:

Project Venus

After the parasitic plant successfully claims its host through spore ingestion, it controls its actions

and core life support functions by intermingling with its central and peripheral nervous systems at a

very quick rate (Approximately 48 hours from spore ingestion).

Phase Zero: There are three known ways to contract the parasitic plant (now deemed a parasite).

A. Body fluids transferable (saliva, sweat, open wounds etc). These can essentially

carry over microbes of the spores. If they are strong enough upon entering the host, they will begin the rooting progress.

B. Close contact with an infected person over an extended duration is likely because the host, at some point will sprout vines that are laced in the spore. These can become airborne depending on the circumstance.

C. Touching the flowers that sprout without protective clothing and gear is a high risk due to the likely hood of skin contamination.

Phase One: In the first phase of the infection, you begin to feel pain across your whole

body, similar to Chicken Pox or Shingles, compiled with rapid dehydration and greenish

gray, flaky lesions and rashes that populate large regions of the flesh.

Phase Two: The second phase of the infection consist of major organ failures and a

breakdown of the immune system. Thorns and plant vines began to press outwards on the

skin from within. At this point the plant begins to control the nervous system and thereby the

core actions of the host (ie; Eating and mobility).

Phase Three: In the third phase of the infection, the host will die unless sustained with life

support machines in cold temperatures. A choking, clogging effect on all the major organs of

the body occur. The body is further stretched and deformed to conform to the plant life

growth. The host is no longer in control of any of its functions.

Phase Four: In the fourth stage, the plant/host will aggressively seek to consume a

chemical found in blood in order to propagate its species and continue to flourish. The more

it consumes, the more it grows in size, stretching and pulling apart the host body until it has

no natural method of motion and collapses. The plant cannot move on its own but the roots

will continue to whip in frantic motions and writhe towards a nearby source of nutrients and

warmth in attempts to continue sprouting.

Phase Five: The final stage occurs if the infected host is unable to find a source of

nourishment abundant enough to maintain its growing stature. The body will cease all

movement and effectively, completely 'die'. If the plant inside has fed off of enough blood

nutrients it will sprout a bud somewhere from the body which forms into a unique white

flower containing the white powder like substance made up of spores on its pedals. If

ingested by someone, the cycle begins again in a new host.

The exact cure is unknown. Once the spore has invaded the host, it is nearly impossible to stop.

The cold is the only thing that can halt the plant from rooting itself, but extended cold can have

adverse effects on warm blooded creatures of course. The theory is that if "the seed" is detected

and quickly frozen before it has a chance to expand, it it can be removed form the host and

destroyed.

Cryobiology labs are leading the research efforts in various classified locations around the world.

Edited by WillWhoopins

I'll be running "Pandemic" with very little mods. Everyone will start as themselves, but if they die, will have to pick up an NPC that they run into or rescue. I'm intrigued by everyone using Google Maps, minis, and boards and such, but I think I'll just keep it basic and use a convenience store map of the area and no figs or battle maps. I like the idea of a physical map as well since they will be able to mark on it, draw out routes, X off searched areas, and such.